Olympus E-PM2 Image Thread

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I will have to take a photo of my current 'family' and upload here.

Here they are. L > R
E-M1 MkII + 12-100,
E-M1 MkI + 12-50 macro,
E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ

IMG_20210306_155523.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I knew things were upside down in Australia, but never knew they were the wrong way round as well. :eek-31:
Look, Brian.

You have no bloody idea how difficult it was to upload this the right way up from my tablet!

The forum s/w is absolutely determined that all portrait images I post lie sideways, and landscape ones are upside down! Unless, of course, I open the image in Snapseed, then re-save it, then upload the Snapseed version.

Different for each of my 3 cameras!! Grrrr.

Drives me crazy (crazier?).

There is absolutely none of this if I upload the image to my own web site from my tablet, then link it from there. Or, if I upload directly from my PC.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Look, Brian.

You have no bloody idea how difficult it was to upload this the right way up from my tablet!

The forum s/w is absolutely determined that all portrait images I post lie sideways, and landscape ones are upside down! Unless, of course, I open the image in Snapseed, then re-save it, then upload the Snapseed version.

Different for each of my 3 cameras!! Grrrr.

Drives me crazy (crazier?).

There is absolutely none of this if I upload the image to my own web site from my tablet, then link it from there. Or, if I upload directly from my PC.
You're not going to get away with trying to blame either hardware or software for that John.
And there's nothing left to add - er, I mean right, right!
No, left. :doh:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
That @John King bloke has got a lot to answer for!
There I was g**gling away looking at nice E-PM2 cameras, when up popped a lovely film camera, which I couldn't resist.
You'll have to have a look at the 'what wotsit thingy did you buy this week' thread to try and find out what it was (as I don't know how to do links :rolleyes: )

Very late edit (August 2021): the E-PM2 referred to above, turned out to be an E-PL2, which I hastily returned.

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
So, now I've finally got my hands on one, here are my first efforts, taken on a short walk with the family yesterday.
All SOOC:

P8230010.JPG
P8230012.JPG
P8230016.JPG
P8230022.JPG
P8230025.JPG
P8230028.JPG
P8230030.JPG

I am particularly pleased with the 'thistle-down' shot, which was taken using the Macro setting on the camera.

The two 'beach" scenes are a bit weird as the lens seems to have focussed in the short/mid distance rather than long, which seems a bit blurred. Maybe that's the lousy IS that @John King refers to, or maybe me just being slapdash. As ever, they were 'snaps' rather than me taking time over them. As my school reports always said: "Must do better!"

Anyway, it was great to have such a small, light camera with me, especially scrambling up the cliff back to my car.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I think the 12-100 would interfere with the scramble up the cliff, though, John.

Nice photos, Brian. You seem to have the same problem as John with the rotation. But I fixed it for me, anyway. I have a table now mounted vertically to put my computer on for shots like that.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I think the 12-100 would interfere with the scramble up the cliff, though, John.
:rofl: Exactly. That's probably why we both appreciate this little gem, Roddy.

My E-M1 MkII + 12-100 is roughly double the weight of my E-M1 MkI + 12-50, which is roughly double the weight of my E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ. Geometric progression/square law, whatever.
Nice photos, Brian. You seem to have the same problem as John with the rotation. But I fixed it for me, anyway. I have a table now mounted vertically to put my computer on for shots like that.
I have that rotation problem with anything uploaded from my phone or tablet.

If I open the file with (say) Snapseed and resave it without editing, then upload it, orientation is correct. It's weird!

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
:rofl: Exactly. That's probably why we both appreciate this little gem, Roddy.

My E-M1 MkII + 12-100 is roughly double the weight of my E-M1 MkI + 12-50, which is roughly double the weight of my E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ. Geometric progression/square law, whatever.

I have that rotation problem with anything uploaded from my phone or tablet.

If I open the file with (say) Snapseed and resave it without editing, then upload it, orientation is correct. It's weird!
It's a real mystery, given that they show the correct way on my screen. ;)

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
@Panolyman Those look really good, Brian.

The slight blur in the distance is down to diffraction at f/10 with these lenses. They are at their best at f/5.6 ... Useable at f/8, but seriously pushing them at f/10!

The 12-100 is still good at f/11 to f/13, but not these kit lenses.
Thanks for that tip John.
I was informed literally a few minutes before we were going out. :rolleyes:
I normally grab either my E-M10 iii or TG5 on occasions such as these, but the E-PM2 was still on my desk.
Apart from the one shot using the Macro in Scene mode, everything else was iAuto and I didn't have time to look at any settings.........
it was a case of "hurry up Grandad!" :D

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
A couple of snaps from the garden, literally taken minutes ago.
I cropped the first one to square in Affinity, but other than that they're both SOOC.
I used the in camera Nature Macro setting.

I had thought to sell this lens, but I'm astonished at these two results for one-off shots. :eek-31:
2108-205 EPM2-14:42.jpg
2108-206 EPM2-14:42.jpg

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
@Panolyman Brian, there's a lot of frog sh!t talked about kit lenses, particularly those made by Olympus.

I've taken some of my best ever shots with my array of kit lenses (technical and otherwise).

Are they quite as good as (say) my 11-22, 14-54, 12-100? No.

Are they pretty darn close? Mostly, yes ...

Are they 'good enough'? Mostly, yes.

For the record, I have FTs 14-42 ED, 14-45, 40-150 ED, mFTs 14-42 EZ, 40-150R and 12-50 macro (not really a kit lens, any more than my 14-54 MkII was, but both came as part of a kit purchase).

Latest threads

Top Bottom