Olympus E-PM2 Image Thread

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I have not been able to find a thread specifically for images from the (now) ancient E-PM2, so I will start one.

I'm sure that I am not the only person here who has one, and appreciates the strengths of this tiny gem. Please post shots from yours :) .

Mine arrived (second hand) a couple of days ago, and I have been fiddling with the settings, and taking a variety of test shots. The main lens for this body will be my 14-42 EZ with a JJC auto-opening lens cap. Jazzy little lens, and mine seems quite sharp enough in both the centre and corners. I have posted a few images from the lens elsewhere over my time here.

I have taken a number of test shots, using the above lens, and also my mFTs 40-150R and 12-100.

The IBIS of the E-PM2 leaves something to be desired. Perhaps describing it as "lousy" would be more accurate! A combination of the minute inertia of this tiny body, and the fact that it is the old three axis design, not the five axis IBIS that was used in the E-M5 MkI. Others have already remarked on that here. Suffice it to say, the IBIS is the same system as my E-510, and nowhere near as good. It is worse than the IBIS in my E-1, and the E-1 doesn't have IBIS ... ;) :rofl:.

It is interesting that the lens IS of the 12-100 gave me at least 4 stops of IS.

It requires changing one's holding technique, with thumb pressed solidly into the rear thumb rest, and fingers folded down the front grip, holding the camera with their sides, rather than 'pinching'. This seems to work pretty well for me.

Having said all that, the camera is like a gem. The ergonomics are far better than I was expecting, once I got out of the habit of trying to do things the same way as I do with my other five Olympi ...

It is very fast. The shutter goes THUNK (no electronic first curtain - doesn't help the IBIS ... ). Still, I bought it as a take everywhere, outdoor camera, and for that, none of these criticisms matter a fig.

On to imaging. Having the same sensor as the renowned E-M5 MkI gives it some serious credibility, and I have found this to be the case. Very decent IQ at ISO 1600, and quite respectable at ISO 3200 in poor light. Just noticeably better for both noise and DR than my E-M1 MkI at ISO 3200.

I will have to get an OTG (On The Go) dongle for my tablet, as I seem to have misplaced the one I already have. Just after buying another one, I will find the existing one ...

Anyway, here are some test images to kick the thread off.

The cats, on their wheat bags, and 'bluey' for any accidents.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20007_Ew.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A friend.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20013_Ew.jpg

Friend's garden.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20014_Ew.jpg

Seed bell for small parrots. They don't come anywhere near it ...

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20015_Ew.jpg

Indoors with 40-150R, using IBIS (what a joke!).

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20018_Ew.jpg

Indoors with 12-100, using lens IS.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20022_Ew.jpg

And another at 1/13th s @ 100mm using lens IS.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20024_Ew.jpg

I'm certain that I will have more observations to make about this camera as I become more familiar with it.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Probably one of my favorite pics taken with my old e-pm2...and the kit 14-42 as well if I recall.

I never had any major complaints with the ibis, but at the time I didn’t know much better. Taking a step back now I’d probably find it lacking in comparison to 5-axis.

Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
My first "proper" camera, bought dirt cheap at like $300 open box at The Good Guys. Despite suffering a little from shutter shock, a fine camera, and really only limited by the ability to either have a flash or an EVF (through the since discontinued AP2 interface under the hotshoe). Which was why I bought an EP-5 for a couple hundred more months later. Still have the PM2, probably always will, just because it's handier to have it around and it's not worth the bother of selling it.

Looking back at some old shots from it I'm astounded the amount of time I put into doing photos, but not properly labelling them or post processing them because ... I dunno, that would mean I was properly into taking photos? LOL.

18064321841_004bef1d29_h.jpg
yellow butterfly by PIG, on Flickr

19389291146_a214045e78_h.jpg
mantis eating by PIG, on Flickr

19427894506_8c00f601c5_h.jpg
dragonfly by PIG, on Flickr

18833338383_f0ca6f8812_h.jpg
honeybee on wattle by PIG, on Flickr

19267821399_f1be4de5a1_h.jpg
honeybee on lavender by PIG, on Flickr

19458271311_c21f0a052f_h.jpg
fly by PIG, on Flickr

19424219299_a4a08987b4_h.jpg
mantis by PIG, on Flickr

19481466460_c1f2a94cb2_h.jpg
bottlebrush flowers by PIG, on Flickr

36258568873_8a4bedaf99_h.jpg
Rainbow Lorikeet feeding on grevillea by PIG, on Flickr

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Banksia flower spike.

_PM20115.JPG

Bloody forum s/w ...

Headache precludes editing and re-uploading ...

[Edit] Finally got this the right way up ... [end edit]

Last edited:

SilverShutter

Mu-43 Regular
My first "proper" camera, bought dirt cheap at like $300 open box at The Good Guys. Despite suffering a little from shutter shock, a fine camera, and really only limited by the ability to either have a flash or an EVF (through the since discontinued AP2 interface under the hotshoe). Which was why I bought an EP-5 for a couple hundred more months later. Still have the PM2, probably always will, just because it's handier to have it around and it's not worth the bother of selling it.

Looking back at some old shots from it I'm astounded the amount of time I put into doing photos, but not properly labelling them or post processing them because ... I dunno, that would mean I was properly into taking photos? LOL.

View attachment 873862 yellow butterfly by PIG, on Flickr

View attachment 873863 mantis eating by PIG, on Flickr

View attachment 873864 dragonfly by PIG, on Flickr

View attachment 873865 honeybee on wattle by PIG, on Flickr

View attachment 873866 honeybee on lavender by PIG, on Flickr

View attachment 873867 fly by PIG, on Flickr

View attachment 873868 mantis by PIG, on Flickr

View attachment 873869 bottlebrush flowers by PIG, on Flickr

View attachment 873870 Rainbow Lorikeet feeding on grevillea by PIG, on Flickr
Those are really beautiful shots!
I think the form factor of ultra small IL cameras like the Pen Minis and the Lumix GM series didn't sell too well, which is a shame because it basically killed them entirely. Only the Gx800 survives and it's a gimped entry level model in comparison to these.

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
I took my E-PM2 out last weekend on a bike ride. Hanging off my wrist on a wrist strap, and fitted with a P14-42ii, which is a really good (but cheap) kit lens that I hardly ever use due to also having O12-40/2.8 ("super IQ" lens), P12-32 (tiny), and P12-60 (bigger FL range, plus daughter uses it mostly on a G3). It was banging on the handlebars now and then, but I don't really mind as the E-PM2 is probably not realistically saleable.
pm2-4.jpg
pm2-3.jpg
pm2-2.jpg
pm2-1.jpg

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
I also tend to take it on beaches etc, for the same reason - great camera (was my "main" body for years), but not disastrous if lost/broken.
Here with a range of 4 different lenses.
pm2-8.jpg
pm2-7.jpg
pm2-6.jpg
pm2-5.jpg

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
An old street shot, E-PM2 fitted with my all-time favourite lens.
pm2-9.jpg

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Some very lovely shots there, @coffeecat .

You are wrong about one thing though - the E-PM2 is all but irreplaceable. The nearest modern equivalent is considerably bigger and heavier, and s/h ones are as common as rocking horse droppings ...

I'm really enjoying mine. Just ordered some after-market BLS-5 batteries and car charger for it from a company here. The owner really, really knows batteries etc, so they won't be the all too common eBay junk.

Getting a car charger and after-market BLH-1 for my E-M1 MkII as well. Any battery is better than no battery when you are on the move ...

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
You are wrong about one thing though - the E-PM2 is all but irreplaceable. The nearest modern equivalent is considerably bigger and heavier, and s/h ones are as common as rocking horse droppings ...

Thanks John. I hadn’t thought of that!

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
John's got me intrigued (I guess that's the polite term for full of GAS) about the E-PM2 and I've been surfing the sites for one.
As he says, they appear to be very rare and weirdly, the best one I saw was from OZ land.

I know I don't need another camera but I've seen a remarkably good E-PM1 with only 170 actuations for a great price.
So now I've got to research the difference between the 1 and 2. :doh:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Good grief @John King , you’re making me regret that I sold mine last year. Enough already! ?
Ya shoulda known better, Chris ...

You could always try to find a lightly used one s/h. Mine had 2777 clicks on it. Rear wheel is pretty touchy, but I can live with that.

I will have to take a photo of my current 'family' and upload here.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Ya shoulda known better, Chris ...
Apparently I should’ve. I got a fair price a year ago, but it seems to be up a fair bit from where it was then. I had the white one, and quite liked the look. But I sold it because I just wasn’t using it, and I don’t see that changing really. Oh well.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I use all three of my toys, but each for different purposes.

Had I known that the grand nieces and nephews were going to be there yesterday, I would have taken the E-M1 MkII + 12-100 and FL-LM3. However, the E-PM2 acquitted itself well enough. Just don't pixel peep the ISO 6400 shots ... They printed fine at 6x4"

Latest threads

Top Bottom