Olympus E-PM2 Image Thread

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
@Panolyman Brian, there's a lot of frog sh!t talked about kit lenses, particularly those made by Olympus.

I've taken some of my best ever shots with my array of kit lenses (technical and otherwise).

Are they quite as good as (say) my 11-22, 14-54, 12-100? No.

Are they pretty darn close? Mostly, yes ...

Are they 'good enough'? Mostly, yes.

For the record, I have FTs 14-42 ED, 14-45, 40-150 ED, mFTs 14-42 EZ, 40-150R and 12-50 macro (not really a kit lens, any more than my 14-54 MkII was, but both came as part of a kit purchase).

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I'm not a pixel-peeper by any means but thought that the 14-42 would be a "throwaway" lens (not literally :rolleyes: ) and due to it's operation, I wasn't expecting much at all. However, I think I can live with its foibles more than the Panny12-32.
Perhaps it's not too far behind the 14-42 EZ I have on my E-M10 iii and I'll certainly stick with it for now.

Regarding the two flower photos, once again they were "snaps" taken wandering around the garden, which is why I was surprised at their quality. As I've said many times before, I just get carried away when I've got a camera in my hand, see something and snap it, rather than taking a moment to try and get as good a picture as possible. I've been doing this for most of my life and can't see me changing much now.

However, having fantastic little cameras in my hand most of the time makes it a very pleasurable experience, so I heartedly thank you for proposing the E-PM2, which as you can tell, I'm thoroughly enjoying. :thumbup:

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
The e-pm2 and 14-42 and 40-150 kit zooms were my main (and only) kit for at least 4 years when I was just getting back into photography. Some of my best pictures have come from this little camera and lens combos. I still shot manual, and you can get pretty quick at using the d-pad for adjusting your settings if you set it up to do so. I never had any issues with not having a viewfinder, even on the brightest days outside. It’s a great little camera, that thanks to all recent hype is making me wish I hadn’t sold mine last year....but it just wasn’t seeing much use any longer. Either way, as John has said on more than one occasion, it does punch above its weight. Enjoy!

Real Name
Butch Oakey
Some very lovely shots there, @coffeecat .

You are wrong about one thing though - the E-PM2 is all but irreplaceable. The nearest modern equivalent is considerably bigger and heavier, and s/h ones are as common as rocking horse droppings ...

I'm really enjoying mine. Just ordered some after-market BLS-5 batteries and car charger for it from a company here. The owner really, really knows batteries etc, so they won't be the all too common eBay junk.

Getting a car charger and after-market BLH-1 for my E-M1 MkII as well. Any battery is better than no battery when you are on the move ...
Good info John, what brand of batteries are better than the "ebay junk"?

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Good info John, what brand of batteries are better than the "ebay junk"?
I can't really tell you that, Butch, but our local BetterBatts bloke strips down pretty much everything he sells.

The 'after-market' battery he sold me for my IBM laptop turned out to be the same brand/part number as the OEM battery.

For example, the BLH-1 clone is recognised by the camera, and gives percent remaining display.

The BLS-5 clones have good performance - indistinguishable from the OEM batteries that came with my E-PM2.

Both types will charge in the OEM chargers, and both clone chargers will charge the OEM batteries (batteries don't get hot).

You should find an equivalent supplier local to the USA.

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
91EA1B2A-A03C-41F4-BEA3-1E59EFB92B02.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Butch Oakey
I can't really tell you that, Butch, but our local BetterBatts bloke strips down pretty much everything he sells.

The 'after-market' battery he sold me for my IBM laptop turned out to be the same brand/part number as the OEM battery.

For example, the BLH-1 clone is recognised by the camera, and gives percent remaining display.

The BLS-5 clones have good performance - indistinguishable from the OEM batteries that came with my E-PM2.

Both types will charge in the OEM chargers, and both clone chargers will charge the OEM batteries (batteries don't get hot).

You should find an equivalent supplier local to the USA.
I have used 2 Wasabi batteries for my EM5.1 and they both swelled so I have been leery of aftermarket batteries ever since. Fortunately they both came out of the camera without too much difficulty and now all the batteries for my Olympus cameras are factory batteries and all have given good service.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I have used 2 Wasabi batteries for my EM5.1 and they both swelled so I have been leery of aftermarket batteries ever since. Fortunately they both came out of the camera without too much difficulty and now all the batteries for my Olympus cameras are factory batteries and all have given good service.
I understand that.

I also trust the bloke at BetterBatt. So far, so good.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
While out in the garden this morning, my wife shouted that we were going for a quick walk before lunch, as our son and grandkids were going home this afternoon after staying with us for a week.
So, in I go and obviously grab my new E-PM2 and pop it into the lovely Olympus bag that came with it.

We took a short drive down to a nice riverside path beneath some old oaks trees.
The sun was out, providing lovely dappled light along the trail and as my family walked in front, I held back a little, thinking this would make a great shot for the 'roads and tracks' thread.

So, I whipped the camera out, moved to to edge of the track to get the best composition.
Switched it on, extended the lens and.............

....technically, this post doesn't belong in this particular thread...........

...because...........

...there's no image.......

yeah, you guessed it............

"No card" :rolleyes:

I'd left it plugged into the reader on my Mac. :dash2:

We did have a trip to the beach after lunch, and I opted for my TG5.
The family probably won't be back with us 'til next summer,
so both you and my E-PM2 will have to wait until then to see the photo I wanted to take. :whistling:

Sorry folks.

Real Name
Butch Oakey
While out in the garden this morning, my wife shouted that we were going for a quick walk before lunch, as our son and grandkids were going home this afternoon after staying with us for a week.
So, in I go and obviously grab my new E-PM2 and pop it into the lovely Olympus bag that came with it.

We took a short drive down to a nice riverside path beneath some old oaks trees.
The sun was out, providing lovely dappled light along the trail and as my family walked in front, I held back a little, thinking this would make a great shot for the 'roads and tracks' thread.

So, I whipped the camera out, moved to to edge of the track to get the best composition.
Switched it on, extended the lens and.............

....technically, this post doesn't belong in this particular thread...........

...because...........

...there's no image.......

yeah, you guessed it............

"No card" :rolleyes:

I'd left it plugged into the reader on my Mac. :dash2:

We did have a trip to the beach after lunch, and I opted for my TG5.
The family probably won't be back with us 'til next summer,
so both you and my E-PM2 will have to wait until then to see the photo I wanted to take. :whistling:

Sorry folks.
Guess something like that has happened to most of us somewhere along the way, thanks for the reminder to check things before leaving in a rush.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom