Olympus E-PM2 discontinued

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
If you go to Adorama or B&H, the E-PM2 is no longer available (B&H explicitly lists it as discontinued). Although Amazon and some other places still have it, I suspect it's just a matter of time until current stock is exhausted. Seems like the E-PM2 is going away without a direct replacement.

Ellsass

Mu-43 Regular
Hmm. I've got one to sell -- wonder if I should do it now or wait until it's "out of print".

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That's a shame since it's the budget model for the brand. A great camera as well. With sensor development currently stalled, it seems that a newer model would not have added much, perhaps phase detection or wifi.

Tom_Chan

Mu-43 Regular
Correct me if I'm wrong, but phase detection needs modification to the sensor, isn't it?

Also, adding phase detection would compete with its flagship E-M1...

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'd like to see a successor with built in flash and wifi. Not that I'd buy it, but I think the entry level model needs those things to be accessible to P&S crowd. Separate flash was always a bad mistake to me. Better video would be a plus as well, but it doesn't seem like Oly is going there.

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hmm. I've got one to sell -- wonder if I should do it now or wait until it's "out of print".

I wrote yesterday, maybe the day before, that I wondered if Olympus will get out of the cheapie step up from junky cameras market now that it looks like the Kodak is getting ready to ship. I think this adds weight to my speculation.

As to whether you should sell now or later, that's always a crapshoot. If you assume now, that whatever you decide will be wrong, you won't be disappointed if it is wrong, and pretty happy if what you decide is right. A touch of pessimism adds flavor to everything!

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
I wrote yesterday, maybe the day before, that I wondered if Olympus will get out of the cheapie step up from junky cameras market now that it looks like the Kodak is getting ready to ship. I think this adds weight to my speculation.

I think it's just a matter of the PM and PL lines being "similar enough"

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
The EPL1 remained one of the top selling mirrorless cameras on amazon months and months after the big two sellers dropped it. I think the supply chain has a lot of EPM2's yet, but the current margins are too low for BH and adorama to offer them at the suggested prices. They will get undercut in price by the neweggs so why bother.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara

The 'Kodak' (JK Imaging) will not ship in North America or Europe.

Given the various leaks regarding the E-PL7, I suspect the E-PL5 (and E-PL6 in Japan) will be gone soon too. Note that you'll probably be able to still find them new on eBay for a long time after they're discontinued (today you can still find new E-P1s and E-P2s!) - but production is almost certainly over.

Latest threads

Top Bottom