Olympus E-PM1 with adapted Nikon 300mm f/4 AFS...Sharp!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Decided to play with my Olympus E-PM1 and try out my Nikon 300mm f/4 AFS...it actually makes one really cool telephoto setup! I hope when Olympus was talking about doing more M43 primes, they had telephoto primes in mind. Give me a 100 f2, 200 f2.8 and a 300 f4 and I'll be in M43 heaven! Anyways, after playing with this setup, I'm now contemplating getting a Nikon V1 with an F-mount adapter which would give me full AF and VR with my Nikon VR glass. Though the Olympus IBIS is very good even in the "budget" E-PM1 (I sold my older E-PM1 and got a newer one which doesn't have IBIS problems). This camera is like a miniature super DSLR!

Check it out...shot across the street (standard LA sized block) handheld at 1/400th at f/5.6 on the aperture dial in manual focus, 800 ISO (around dusk) and IBIS set to 300mm:

The setup:
  2. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    Very good IQ, indeed! :cool:

But honestly speaking I can't get the point in using a very portable m4/3 body instead of an SLR one with such a bulky, heavy lens: as I see it, you get the disadvantages of m4/3 and the ones of an SLR + MF only at once :confused:
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks like a Python on ur carpet Jonathan
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sure, if that's the ONLY lens you use... but I highly doubt anybody will have a 300mm as their only lens. ;)

As a complete system with multiple lenses, a Micro Four-Thirds system will still make just as significant of a difference in compact size whether or not you throw in a big telephoto for when you need it. When you need that telephoto, do you want to carry just the telephoto in a lens case, or do you want to carry the telephoto with a big body and grip that weighs half the lens itself?

That setup and photo looks very good, Jonathan!
  5. WolfBane

WolfBane Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    Looks nice and sharp. Excellent to have the option of a 600mm equivalent in the 35mm film world!
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    What do you plan on photographing with it?

7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What impressed me is that despite the aging sensor, for telephoto shooting the sensor actually renders very sharp pictures even on non-native glass. Which leaves me to believe if the glass was there to use on the M43 format, it would make an excellent telephoto platform.

I wish Olympus would release some sort of PDAF adapter like Nikon. I've been eyeing the V1 to use with my Nikon glass, but I much prefer my Pens in regards to handling as my small camera. I only use my Nikons for work now. Plus I'd probably trade up my 300 f/4 for the Olympus 50-200 if they could somehow make that lens AF via adapter on M43? :confused:
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would love that as well! The Nikon solution is on-sensor though, so I don't think that could be put in an adapter. Perhaps in one of the next Micro Four-Thirds bodies? Maybe Olympus has something up their sleeve for PDAF in the new m4/3-compatible line they have hinted at.

Sony has PDAF using an Alpha adapter, but it uses the SLT (Semi-Translucent Mirror) technology. That means it probably cuts out some of the light coming through to re-direct it to the phase detect sensor (at least that's how SLT works in the bodies, but I haven't seen any breakdown of the adapter construction). I've never been a fan of that system, as I want the full light resolution of the lens to hit my sensor. After all, isn't that what the super-weak AA filter on the new Olympus cameras (from the E-5 and newer) is all about? I think adding a pellicle mirror would defeat the purpose of the unfiltered sensor capture. Not only that, but it's also very bulky.

I see no issues with the on-sensor solution like the Nikon 1 has. It shouldn't affect capture (that I know of), and it doesn't add any bulk. I think it's the best solution... but unfortunately it would have to be integrated into the body, meaning new purchases and redundancy of old bodies. Too bad this technology wasn't around with the original Digital PEN (or even the G1)!
  9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    We'll see what happens with this upcoming "pro" camera Olympus has in the works. It would make sense for Olympus to try an integrate 4/3 lenses into M4/3. I've been really impressed by samples I've seen of the 50-200. For me that would be a perfect lens for M43.

I tried the 45-200 OIS on my E-PL2 and the pictures were so beautifully sharp in good daylight and I attribute that more to the quality of the Olympus sensor. That weak AA filter is great for shooting long glass. For daylight telephoto, good 800 ISO and usable 1600 ISO is fine as long as the glass is fast.

10. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Hi , sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I didn't realise that this issue had been resolved in more recent models. I am thinking of buying an E-PM1 and the IBIS problem was the only thing holding me back. Well that and deciding what colour to get! :smile:

New price in the UK is around 300 pounds after Olympus cashback - seems quite a lot of camera for the money. Plus I get the newer and supposedly better kit lens than the one which came with my E-PL1, so I can sell that an put the mark ii on the EPL1 which should speed up the focus a bit? (Hoping to mainly use the 20mm Panasonic pancake on the E-PM1 if I get it.)

Anyway, so if I buy the E-PM1 new now there should be no IBIS issues?
  11. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I can't say it's been an issue for me.
  12. flashpanther

flashpanther New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2012
    I am guess the Nikon lenses will not auto focus with the PM1?

I'm considering purchasing along with a cheap lens adaptor so I can use by two nikon VR lenses from my D5000 camera. Guessing stablization on lens will not work either?!?

I am also considering getting the next camera up... the PL3.

Any thoughts on any of this? Be much appreciated. Was originally stuck between the sony hx20 and panasoic tz30 (ts20). The olympus as a mirrorless camera i guess will give much better images and a better option?

Help greatly appreciated :smile:
  13. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

You'll want to go to the adapted lens page

Lots of good info there on the whole subject. Lenses, adapters etc. It took me almost a year to gain the confidence to put an adapted lens on my m4/3 camera. Now I'm hooked. :thumbup:
  14. flashpanther

flashpanther New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2012
    Where? Sorry i missed it? fairly new to cameras.
  15. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Here and especially this How-To Guide

Autofocus will not work. Do your Nikon VR lenses have rings for manual aperture control? If not you will be limited to max aperture (fully open) only. Are the lenses powered by the camera body? Then VR will not work.
    That is why many m43 users would prefer to adapt old Nikon E-Series and Ai-S lenses - great optical quality, very sturdy, lower price.

m43/ Olympus bodies do give better pictures. In the below picture, TZ30 is the magenta 1/2" frame sensor while m43 is the green frame sensor.
    M43 cameras are however not pocketable or one-hand solutions with a zoomrange like the compacts you mention, due to protruding lenses, lenscap and (relative) weight