1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PM1 not a "serious" camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dede, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    I recently red on a camera blog, that the Olympus E-PM1 is not a serious camera and basically mostly for people that just wanna take pictures in Auto mode and that don't want to modify the settings. That blog suggested that people that are somewhat serious about taking pictures should rather buy the Olympus E-PL2. So I'm stuck in the middle now, these Cameras cost about the same, and I'm not sure which one to buy. So one of my biggest flaws with the Olympus E-PM1 would also be the fact, that I red online that it gets very noisy even on iso 400, is that true?

So overall, which Camera would you rather take, and would you agree, that the Olympus E-PM1 is not a serious camera?

Edit: I red that the Panasonic Lumix GF3 wouldn't stand on a tripod if a heavy lens is attached to it, is there the same issue with the Olympus E-PM1?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Honestly, anybody telling you what a 'serious' photographer uses is a pompous ass. A serious photographer is interested in getting the picture, not playing with cameras. (Wish I could say the same about myself.) The PM1 is only deficient in its controls, and that only affects how quickly you can set something, not what you can set. If it has the controls you need, then it's perfectly adequate. Though why the 'step up from compact' camera has less controls than even the a basic compact is beyond me.

• Like Like x 5
  3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Not from what I have seen :)

The E-P3, E-PL3 and E-PM1 all share the same sensor and image processor.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Alright, thanks I'm getting the E-PM1! I've got two more questions for people that actually own the E-PM1 though. 1. Is the lens 14-42 mm II that comes with the camera any good? 2. Is there any good case that carries the E-PM1 and maybe 2-3 lenses (The case should actually have no spare place after that, if possible)? 3. Still the thing with the tripod, does it stand on a tripod, even with big lenses? 4. (Pretty obvious, but I've read some weird things) I can use Panasonic micro 4/3 lenses on the E-PM1, right? I red smth on the internet about image stabilization and that pansonic lenses wouldn't work as good with Olympus cameras, but thats not true, is it?

Thank you so much for the quick awnsers, it's greatly appreciated!

Edit: Is there a Neck Strap coming with the camera? The E-PM1 has a hot shoe, right? So I can basically use a eletronic viewfinder on it ...

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Haters gonna hate my friend:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Maybe I should buy one....I'm NOT a serious photographer!

7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I'm new to photography, but I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

Its nice - good auto focusing speed. A tad slow for low light situations. The 20mm 1.7 Panasonic lens is usually recommended for a small low light capable package.

Define big lens? Some of the big lenses have mounts on the lens body for tripod support.

Yup.
    Not true. There may be a very minor issue where you would have both OIS and IBIS available at the same time. Simply switch one of them off if you feel there is an IQ issue.

Yes and yes. The PM1 kit comes with a flash that sits in the hotshoe. So you can't have a flash and the EFV going at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Alright, thanks so much to everybody! This forum is truly awesome! Thank you again for awnsering me all these questions, I'm ordering the E-PM1 one of these days :)

9. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 2
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Not to create any confusion, but have you considered the E-PL3 as an alternative? If cost is an issue, then, by all means, go for the E-PM1, but if not, E-PL3 is almost as compact as the PM1, except for the tilt screen, but I find that tilt screen alone worth the additional price to pay, especially if you take a lot of pictures of children, and there is a mode dial on top.

BTW, if you are upgrading from a P&S camera to a changeable lens system for the first time, the 14-42 II kit lens is good enough. After you play with it for a while, you will know what other lenses to get.

As for camera bag, any small digial camera bag will work, but I use the Kata DC-435 as my light travel bag. It can fit my E-P3, a 14-150, and 2 prime lenses perfectly.

Have fun with your new m4/3 camera, whichever model you decided on...

11. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Just remember, it's 90% the user and 10% the equipment. People were taking amazing photographers long before digitial. People were taking amazing photo a year ago with digital cameras with much lesser specs then m43s. People will take amazing photos with a EPM1.. or an EP3.. or an X100 or a Leica M9...

Its a matter of what you can afford, what you feel comfortable using and what type of IQ you like. That is 1st and foremost is the most important thing. With the PEN lineup to be honest, as the sensor is nearly the same in EPL2/EP3/EPL3 and EPM1. You're really just getting a different body and the potential of fast focus and different rear screens. The EP1/EPL1 and EP2 had a thicker AA filter so your IQ may be a bit compromised.

The real kicker is what lens to get. In my opinion all of them from Olympus and Panasonic are above average so you cant really go wrong. But there are some stellar non-kit ones you might want to consider depending if you get the 17mm or zoom kit lens and type of photos you like or may be taking.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 new releases unless you want onboard flash and not willing to pay for an EP3, then the EPL2 makes sense but you lose fast focus & touch focus. Trade offs, only you can decide which is more important to you.

12. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I use an E-PM1. I'm serious.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    this is all nonsense
    we all know id take better photos with an m9... repeat after me
    eliot needs an m9... eliot needs an m9... eliot needs an m9...
    good.

that is all
    :)

[/brainwashing]

• Like Like x 1
  14. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Looks old school pro to me

Anyone else impressed with how fine Amy's PM1 looks with that leatherette on?
    I agree with her 100 per cent - that's how Olympus should sell it, or at least include the option. But soon the aftermarket will take care of that, I'm sure.

15. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Absolutely agree that it looks awesome, but it is also handmade. Not sure if I can do it as well as she did...

17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Some folks get themselves all wound up over lack of buttons, touch screen, small size...what-have-you. The E-PM1 looks to be really sweet kit that's easy to have with you all the time. Sure beats the big "serious" rig that sits at home all the time. I own a GF2 (also not a "serious" camera) and I don't think they've had my "serious photographers" membership card revoked yet.

The E-PM1 is as serious a camera as you make it.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    What's the difference between a "serious" camera and a "not-so-serious" camera...:confused:

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'd cross whatever photo blog the OP was reading off my list. The E-PM1 is a joy of a camera that can give wonderful results. It's already replaced all of my compact cameras with sensors smaller than micro four thirds. DSLR image quality in a package the same size as my Panasonic LX3. And I take it just as seriously as my Pentax K-5. It's a different tool for different jobs.

20. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Oh GAWD, the E-PM1 in the skin is outrageously sexy. I don't want to like it but I do. Santa.....bring me an E-PM1, please.