1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PM1 Kit In Stock for $499 at B&H

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    B&H just emailed to let me know they received their first shipment of the E-PM1 in limited quantities. Any color you want, as long as it's black :wink:.

Direct link: Olympus Pen E-PM1 at B&H Photo

6103576033_308cb50e53_o.

The above links contains our affiliate code. Your price is unaffected, and a referral fee (2-4% of your purchase) is paid to us by the retailer. Please note: For us to get credit for the referral, you must click our link prior to placing any items in your "shopping cart". Thanks for supporting Mu-43.com!

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Dang it why can't i bite this bullet? I expected the MSRP to be $599 and still wanted it!

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    No free shipping... I'll wait for Amazon

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That must be my reason, haha.

5. Matio

Matio Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2011
    Petaluma, CA
  6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It's been in stock at JR.com for a few days. Mine is shipped. $484.99 (with LABORDAY promo code) free shipping.

7. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    Got mine from the B&H link, should be here Wednesday. I'll post then to let you know what I think.

-Thomas

8. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    So it arrived and I'm very pleased with it so far. Size is great, and combined with a Lumix 14mm lens and 28mm finder it will be my pocket sized camera for now.

IMG_5051.

Focusing seems fast and is very quite with the 14mm lens.

Here is some size comparisons with two other pocketable cameras - from left to right - Sigma DP1, Olympus E-PM1 w Lumix 14mm, Ricoh GRDIII

IMG_5034.

IMG_5036.

As you can see the size is pretty much the same with the Ricoh being slimmer due to the retractable lens.

Final test, does it fit in my Terraclime 30 bag so i can carry it on the belt?

IMG_5038.

Yes, it does. No problem here. Now I just have to take it out and shoot some pictures.

-Thomas

• Like Like x 3
  9. Matio

Matio Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2011
    Petaluma, CA
    Intriguing... Would love to hear your impressions regarding handling: speed, autofocus accuracy, grip, menus etc. Have fun testing 'er out!

10. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I would love to see more posts on your camera regarding size and usability compared to e-pl1/ep1or 2. I am really interesting in this camera. Is it possible to pocket the camera in jeans with lens off. I can imagine separating the lens and putting it back together when picture needs to be taken. I would also love to see picture comparison with e-pl1 if possible.

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    This first shot is most telling - it makes the 14 look big!

Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The EPM1 + 14/2.5 looks like a sweet combo. I guess putting the 20 on it will be odd looking as the 20's diameter is bigger than the diameter of the camera's lens flange.

13. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    This picture shows how much smaller the E-PM1 is compared to the E-P2 and the E-PL1.

DSCF3014.

As for fitting in a pocket without lens, it depends on how tight your pants are. Without lens it is still a bit deeper than the GRDIII, but would fit in a reasonably sized pocket. Personally I'd prefer a small belt bag for carrying the camera with pancake lens attached.

-Thomas

• Like Like x 2
  14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I believe those are third party vendors selling via Amazon. Amazon itself has not begun selling any if the new Pens yet. Sigh ...

15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks Thomas! Do you have a 20/1.7? If yes, could you post a few pics of what the Mini+20/1.7 combo looks like? Also, how is the AF speed of the Mini+20/1.7 combo?

Thanks!

16. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I do have a 20/1.7 but I'm not planning on using it on the E-PM1. I'll most likely just stick to the 14/2.5 since I think the two make a perfect combo.

Anyway, the 20/1.7 looks a bit big, but not overly so.

DSCF3019.

DSCF3020.

Not the best pictures but they'll give you an idea. Would recommend a grip if you plan on using this lens. I'm waiting for my Flipbac grip to arrive.

Focusing seems pretty quick using the 20/1.7 on the E-PM1. Have no way of measuring, but it seems faster than other PENs and about the same or a little bit faster compared to the GF1. The 14/2.5 seems to be the fastest, about the same as the new kit zoom.

-Thomas

• Like Like x 3
  17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks for the pics and info Thomas.

18. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    Tried the 20/1.7 with the VF-2 EVF today and I was really surprised how much better the low-light performance of the EVF was on the E-PM1 compared to the E-P2 and E-PL1. E-P2 was worst with a lot of noise while the E-PM1 was almost completely clean in a dimly lit room. Another thing that surprised me is that the annoying aperture clicking of the E-P2 is gone. The E-P2 would stop down the 20/1.7 for live view and then open the aperture when you focused or exposed the picture. This was really annoying and also made the live view dimmer introducing even more noise in the EVF. The E-PM1 doesn't do this. It keeps the lens fully open the entire time. Makes for a much nicer experience.

And, it doesn't look too ridiculous with the 20/1.7 and the EVF mounted.

IMG_5055.

-Thomas

19. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    The camera is now complete - I added a Flipbac G2 grip and that improved the handling tremendously.

DSCF3075.

And here is a picture from a trip to Harvard today:

P9120316.

Enjoyed shooting with the camera a lot today. Focus is really snappy and exposures seemed pretty accurate most of the time. Had a little trouble with under exposure in strong back-light, but it always takes a while to figure a new camera out.

-Thomas

20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Very nice Thomas! Congrats on completing the camera kit!

Is the grip attached via glue, sticky tape or something else? Can the grip be removed if so desired without messing up camera?