1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PL7 or Sony A5100?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mootxico, Dec 6, 2014.

1. mootxico

mootxico Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2014
    Hey guys. I'm currently using an E-PL1, using it to mainly document my life from time to time, for travels, outings with friends/family, etc. I consider myself an intermediate user. I've read enough about photography and have been shooting on semi-auto (usually in Aperture mode) to take just-ok pics.

I've been using it for 3 years+ now, and I think it's time to move on to a better camera, but I'm not sure which one to get.

I've read about the newly released E-PL7, and thought of upgrading into it, but after reading some reviews, I've been told that the 14-42mm kit lens that comes with it might not be good for selfies, and that A5100 is a better purchase, at the same price point (these two cameras cost the same here in my country).

So which one should I get? Or should I get a different model entirely for the same price (around the equivalent of USD$690)?

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    How important is that?
    You already have at least one m4/3rds lens on your e-pL1, right? Maybe that one is better for selfies, which would save the day.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think there is no practical difference and are both great cameras. Quality is close, and I would expect the Sony kit lens (24-75 equiv 3.5/5.6) to be on par with the Oly one (28-84 equiv 3.5/5.6). I'm not a selfie expert :) but I do not think that the 24-28 difference is going to matter much, maybe for group shots.

If you plan to buy other lenses things change: Oly lenses are smaller and there are a lot more (Sony will add more in the next years) and usually are a little cheaper.

The biggest sensor of the Sony should allow you to crop a little more aggressively. The EPL-7 should have a couple of dedicated "selfie modes" like "touch the screen to take a shot with a small delay or a sequence of shots".

If you do not intend to buy more lenses the Panasonic LX-100 could be a good alternative (better lens than both) but it costs more.

Is there anything that you felt was not good enough in you E-PL1 that could be an hint to choose the next one?

4. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I cannot comment on the Sony, but have been using the E-PL7 pretty much since it came out. I shoot for the same reasons you do, and might be on the same level. I am more than happy with the E-PL7: I find it small enough to be transported easily, I did the image quality and am happy with the available lenses (especially when on a budget). As you are already used to the Oly, and since the E-PL7 is a big step up from your PL1, I don't think you can go wrong with it.