Olympus E-PL7 or Sony A5100?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mootxico, Dec 6, 2014.

1. mootxico

mootxico Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2014
    Hey guys. I'm currently using an E-PL1, using it to mainly document my life from time to time, for travels, outings with friends/family, etc. I consider myself an intermediate user. I've read enough about photography and have been shooting on semi-auto (usually in Aperture mode) to take just-ok pics.

I've been using it for 3 years+ now, and I think it's time to move on to a better camera, but I'm not sure which one to get.

I've read about the newly released E-PL7, and thought of upgrading into it, but after reading some reviews, I've been told that the 14-42mm kit lens that comes with it might not be good for selfies, and that A5100 is a better purchase, at the same price point (these two cameras cost the same here in my country).

So which one should I get? Or should I get a different model entirely for the same price (around the equivalent of USD$690)?

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    How important is that?
    You already have at least one m4/3rds lens on your e-pL1, right? Maybe that one is better for selfies, which would save the day.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think there is no practical difference and are both great cameras. Quality is close, and I would expect the Sony kit lens (24-75 equiv 3.5/5.6) to be on par with the Oly one (28-84 equiv 3.5/5.6). I'm not a selfie expert :) but I do not think that the 24-28 difference is going to matter much, maybe for group shots.

If you plan to buy other lenses things change: Oly lenses are smaller and there are a lot more (Sony will add more in the next years) and usually are a little cheaper.

The biggest sensor of the Sony should allow you to crop a little more aggressively. The EPL-7 should have a couple of dedicated "selfie modes" like "touch the screen to take a shot with a small delay or a sequence of shots".

If you do not intend to buy more lenses the Panasonic LX-100 could be a good alternative (better lens than both) but it costs more.

Is there anything that you felt was not good enough in you E-PL1 that could be an hint to choose the next one?

4. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I cannot comment on the Sony, but have been using the E-PL7 pretty much since it came out. I shoot for the same reasons you do, and might be on the same level. I am more than happy with the E-PL7: I find it small enough to be transported easily, I did the image quality and am happy with the available lenses (especially when on a budget). As you are already used to the Oly, and since the E-PL7 is a big step up from your PL1, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.