Olympus E-PL7 body at CHF 159 (approx EUR 170)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by daffy, Oct 2, 2015.

1. daffy

daffy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    In Switzerland, https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/Product/2754373 is currently priced at CHF 359 minus a store discount (applied on check-out) of CHF 200.

This makes it a total of CHF 159 for the body of an Olympus E-PL7.

There is a good chance, though, that this store discount has been made available erroneously.

The shop in question is of highest reputation, FWIW.

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I saw that one too - incredible value for the money! It didn't even look like a mistake - it's more likely they're clearing out stock (at Olympus ...).

M.

3. daffy

daffy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    Clear stock - yes. Discount - yes. CHF 200 on the (already reduced) body only seems to be extremely aggressive. My good, I hope (adding to an existing PL7 and a GM1)

I am interested in more of those clearances on, say, the Pro lenses ;)

4. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Does anyone know is that an online store only offer or does the discount apply for their brick and mortar shops?

5. daffy

daffy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    That store effectively is an online shop with showrooms. The brick and mortar component is, in my opinion, not something that could be classified as a proper store.You will not be able to handle the E-PL7 in the showroom. The best you can hope for is delivery of your order into a showroom for pick-up.

6. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    thx. if i understood correctly, this store generally ships to Switzerland for free, so the brick and mortar store/showroom is not even that big of an issue (why go there if it can be delivered).

7. daffy

daffy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    That body definitely yes.

Free shipping depends on order amount, generally speaking.

Regarding showroom pick-up: for some it might be an exceedingly convenient way to get hold of the goods and to also pay in the showroom. Plus at least for the Zurich store it is possible to order online until 1300 and it will be in the showroom four hours later (provided that the product is in stock in their central storage in Wohlen AG). Yes, I like Digitec ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    wow that is a great deal
    Unfortunately they don't ship to Denmark :(

9. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I ordered one on 07 October. The delivery was to be in 6-8 days. When that deadline expired, i checked the order status and it said early December. On friday, i contacted them and asked what that was about. The reply came, usual "we're sorry for the inconvenience", said the product was available at their supplier and they specified late October as delivery date. The price for the body on their website then grew (although the deal was supposed to last until end of October). I checked my order status, and sure enough, it again said the delivery is due in 6-8 days.

I replied to the e-mail "thx, late October it is".

Now, i receive an e-mail stating supplier problems again and saying it is early December after all. Several times the line "you can try to cancel" or "you might like to find another solution".

I suppose they made a pricing mistake, and are now stalling me.

Not sure what the laws in Switzerland are (i ordered through a friend), but this is basically blackmail. Anyone from Switzerland have any info as to my rights in the matter? Can they stall me indefinitely? What is to stop them to say "late March" when December comes? i did pay immediatelly, and had my order confirmed...

10. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    They simply need to wait long enough for the actual price to drop to 170 euros ;-) Might take another couple of years though.

Anyway, the lesson is never trust deals that are simply too good to be true.

11. daffy

daffy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    I sense your unhappiness, and I believe that you should take a couple of deep breaths before calming down into a constructive modus operandi.

The rebate for new orders, last I checked, was advertised to end on 18 October. They might have changed that date - it is none of our business, and all of their's to decide.

Your friend entered into a mutually binding contract - he ordered, and he paid for, a specific product. Digitec are now obliged to deliver the product under the terms and conditions of the sale (which may well include that all delivery dates are non-binding, I do not know). Have your friend verify what the delivery time is on _his account_ for that _specific order_. Whatever they advertise on the web site, or whatever they might be telling _you_ in email is, in my opinion, not relevant either.

I would expect that losing the "they blackmail me" emotional accusation (be careful with slander) and deciding and focusing on what you want to get out of this transaction will support successful resolution of these challenges:
    - want that E-PL7 body? relax and wait.
    - want an E-PL7 body _now_? buy one in a store where it is on stock _now_ (it was not on stock at Digitec when your friend ordered).
    - want a good deal on an E-PL7 kit? have your friend ask for that specific rebate to be transferred - CHF 349 for a kit (which seems to be more available) is still a good deal.
    - want _that_ E-PL7 _body_ _now_? be realistic.

Take their _offer_ to cancel the order at face value - as an offer.

If things in fact do turn into a direction where Digitec are _really_ stalling, it will be time to sweet-talk them into a workable solution for both parties. I would not rely on any contract law being cheap or effective enough in making that avenue worthwhile taking. While Switzerland as a country has a seriously strong and extremely reliable legal system, Switzerland (i.e. the people) culturally also prefers to resolve any conflicts in a fashion more co-operative than crying wolf.

Suggestion: Make sure that communication with them takes place in native German language, with a Swiss German mindset. This will significantly simplify matters for all parties.

12. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Slightly edited my post, due to receiving two additional e-mails, one particularly detailed, clarifying the situation. I'm back on digitec hypewagon, until further notice :)

Thx for the detailed reply daffy, appreciate it.
    Of course. I was venting a bit yesterday, having just read their second e-mail. I was actually thinking about posting this after i got the first e-mail, but decided to wait, and not post anything on this forum.

My bad. I honestly thought i read it was 30th.
    I retract my previous statement. I don't think this was a pricing mistake. It wouldn't happen on all e-pl7 bodies and kits.

Well, that's exactly the case. On the site of that specific order (my account, friend is only the delivery point), the dates have been changing as i have written. initial 6-8 days, then early December, then again 6-8 days, now again early December.

Granted, my wording (blackmail) may have been affected by my frustration. Nonetheless, and I can presume you mean well, but this is in no mean an emotional accusation or slander. This is a public forum, and i'm merely expressing my opinion. Even my tone and words in the e-mails directed to them were calm. I didn't attack or accuse anyone, just concerned about my delivery.

Of course i understand i have to wait if i want it, i'm in no position to strongarm anyone, nor have the need or desire (or means) to do so.

Touche. Not excusing myself, it could be that i missread something not intended due to english not being my native language.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am trying to be co-operative. I can understand supplier issues, but having order delivery status saying 6-8 days, then December, then October (after their e-mail), then again December (after my e-mail) kind of feels like
    latest?cb=20121205194057

now, with those last two e-mails, i'm feeling a lot more positive. Decided to keep the picture, because i love the Simpsons and some positive attitude is necessary in this post :)

On a sidenote, i guess a lot of people in Switzerland will be joining mu-43, due to those crazy amounts of E-PL7s ordered... Or all of those end up for cheap on ebay...
    Thx again

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  13. daffy

daffy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    I am monitoring this situation closely, for there being a certain self-interest.

In case you communicate with Digitec in English, please, do consider that a substantial amount of that communication may be lost in translation. After all, and despite what others might think/hope/pray for, English is _not_ one of the official languages of Switzerland :)

14. daffy

daffy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    Just for reference - shipment date changes obviously result in an automated email notification with lots of noise.

Oh, and "Digitec Galaxus is committed to provide up-to-date and precise information on availability and delivery times in the online shop. However, production and delivery shortages in particular may cause delivery delays. Therefore, all information on availability and delivery times is subject to change." (as expected)

15. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    i'm sorry, but do you work for them?

16. daffy

daffy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    Just a normal customer...

17. daffy

daffy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    ... and one whose order just was fulfilled. A tad late, but with that discount ...

18. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Update: just got my copy:yahoo:

It arrived at the shipping adress around the same time as daffy's but my friend got to Croatia only yesterday. Other friend ordered a silver one (due to me persuading him) and he got his copy late October.

Solid camera, though i do miss the ability to screw on another grip. Wifi is nice, as is 3 axis ibis.