1. All transactions (buy, sell, and trade) in the Buy & Sell forum are strictly at your own risk. Mu-43.com and its owner are not affiliated with anyone buying, selling, or trading on the board. We are not liable for any misrepresentation, fraud or spam posted here. The remainder of our Buy & Sell forum rules are in the Site Terms of Service, which you can read here: https://www.mu-43.com/help/terms

Olympus E-PL6 for $299.99 @ Amazon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by mw6sense, Apr 23, 2015.

1. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    Amazon has the new Olympus E-PL6 with kit lens for $299.99. It's cheaper than E-PL5 now!

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It just recently got released here officially. B&H has them with the 14-42 kit lens for $299

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  4. tkbslc

Tempting as a second camera, and absolute steal at that price. But I really can't justify it right now as I bought my GX7 in February! :)

5. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    True, Newegg, Adorama has the same price as well. I think they are price matching to each other. There was not much review on E-PL6 because it is so much similar to E-PL5 but E-PL6 has iso 100 and Wifi addition. I am just waiting for E-PL7's price to drop!

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If they really wanted to blow those bodies out they should pair it with the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ Lens. That would be something. I have the 12-32 Pan and am REALLY tempted (and I just bought a Sony RX100 m1).

7. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    Oh, one more thing, the bhphotovideo site advertise that the E-PL6 has 3-axis In-Body VCM Image Stabilization. Has anybody gotten this to prove that this is better than E-PL5 or the previous PL models?

8. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I could be wrong, but I don't recall there being anything about a change in image stabilization.

9. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    Check out the official Olympus link, it is 3-axis image stabilization but I don't know if it's the same one in the OMD EM10.
    http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/pen/e-pl6.html

10. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I grabbed one yesterday as a second camera. The thing that got me (besides price) is the battery is the same as my e-m10. I will just leave the 25mm on it to take out and about or the 75mm. My e-m10 can keep the 12-40. This should make a good travel setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It would be great if it truly is the system from the E-M10. I just haven't heard anything (reports/reviews) that says it is. It was announced 7 months before the E-M10 and in all the reviews of the E-M10 they noted the improved IS. They also noted it in the E-PL7, both have the VII processor while the E-PL6 have the VI.

Again I would love to find out I'm wrong. But I would have expected to have heard about it and seen more interest when the E-PL6 was released from people looking to get it instead of more of a yawn reaction to the fact it was not released in the US.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung

I agree I would wait and look at some US users' review before I jump in. This model was released to UK last year and the review there was minimal as well. But I am hoping this is a trend from Olympus that they are dropping prices on the other models like E-P5!

13. tkbslc

Everything I've ever read about this camera says it is 100% E-PL5 hardware with some additional firmware features like Electronic level, Art filters, and an ISO 100.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if they're selling the E-PL6 now as a way to fill in the gap of the E-PM2? I think for the price it's a good entry body.

15. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    I wish we had these deals in Europe - it is a great price for that camera

16. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Could be. Other than the processor and IS upgrade it's not really missing anything most would look for in a E-PM3 and it's the same size anyway. I guess the only question it would raise is, "Is this a gap they intent to continue to fill?" Or just a way to clear out stock.

17. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Olympus UK say it only has 2-axis stabilisation. Plus it's £349 ($527.44 at todays exchange rates) here from Olympus or £334.99 ($506.42) from Amazon.co.uk! That's quite a deal you're getting over there.

18. cnyap

cnyap Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2015
    I recently noticed the PL6 too and wondered why I had never heard of it before.
    Amazon's details for the PL6 shows (in an illustration) 3 axis IS.
    Another option: I'm noticing the GF7 is coming down (on ebay) a lot quicker than the GM5.

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    For $299 there's just no risk at all in picking up an E-PL6 now. At that price, I might just violate my own personal rule that I won't buy any more cameras without viewfinders. I don't need the lens that comes with the camera because I have the 14-42 EZ. And, you're right, THAT'S the lens to pair with this camera.

On the other hand, waiting around for the E-PL7 price (even refurbished) to fall further is a possibility. Or even a refurbed E-P5 when Oly does those seasonal 20% off sales. But those reconditioned options are $150-250 more expensive than the E-PL6.

20. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    I have to make a correction on my previous statement. I said there was "Wifi addition." This is not an addition because E-PL5 is already wifi-capable with the flashair card. The E-PL6 does not have the wireless feature like the E-PL7 or the OMDs that let you remote control the shutter from your smartphones.