1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PL6 for $299.99 @ Amazon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by mw6sense, Apr 23, 2015.

1. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    Amazon has the new Olympus E-PL6 with kit lens for $299.99. It's cheaper than E-PL5 now!

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It just recently got released here officially. B&H has them with the 14-42 kit lens for $299

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  4. tkbslc

Tempting as a second camera, and absolute steal at that price. But I really can't justify it right now as I bought my GX7 in February! :)

5. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    True, Newegg, Adorama has the same price as well. I think they are price matching to each other. There was not much review on E-PL6 because it is so much similar to E-PL5 but E-PL6 has iso 100 and Wifi addition. I am just waiting for E-PL7's price to drop!

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If they really wanted to blow those bodies out they should pair it with the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ Lens. That would be something. I have the 12-32 Pan and am REALLY tempted (and I just bought a Sony RX100 m1).

7. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    Oh, one more thing, the bhphotovideo site advertise that the E-PL6 has 3-axis In-Body VCM Image Stabilization. Has anybody gotten this to prove that this is better than E-PL5 or the previous PL models?

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I could be wrong, but I don't recall there being anything about a change in image stabilization.

9. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    Check out the official Olympus link, it is 3-axis image stabilization but I don't know if it's the same one in the OMD EM10.
    http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/pen/e-pl6.html

10. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I grabbed one yesterday as a second camera. The thing that got me (besides price) is the battery is the same as my e-m10. I will just leave the 25mm on it to take out and about or the 75mm. My e-m10 can keep the 12-40. This should make a good travel setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It would be great if it truly is the system from the E-M10. I just haven't heard anything (reports/reviews) that says it is. It was announced 7 months before the E-M10 and in all the reviews of the E-M10 they noted the improved IS. They also noted it in the E-PL7, both have the VII processor while the E-PL6 have the VI.

Again I would love to find out I'm wrong. But I would have expected to have heard about it and seen more interest when the E-PL6 was released from people looking to get it instead of more of a yawn reaction to the fact it was not released in the US.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung

I agree I would wait and look at some US users' review before I jump in. This model was released to UK last year and the review there was minimal as well. But I am hoping this is a trend from Olympus that they are dropping prices on the other models like E-P5!

13. tkbslc

Everything I've ever read about this camera says it is 100% E-PL5 hardware with some additional firmware features like Electronic level, Art filters, and an ISO 100.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if they're selling the E-PL6 now as a way to fill in the gap of the E-PM2? I think for the price it's a good entry body.

15. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    I wish we had these deals in Europe - it is a great price for that camera

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Could be. Other than the processor and IS upgrade it's not really missing anything most would look for in a E-PM3 and it's the same size anyway. I guess the only question it would raise is, "Is this a gap they intent to continue to fill?" Or just a way to clear out stock.

17. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Olympus UK say it only has 2-axis stabilisation. Plus it's £349 ($527.44 at todays exchange rates) here from Olympus or £334.99 ($506.42) from Amazon.co.uk! That's quite a deal you're getting over there.

18. cnyap

cnyap Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2015
    I recently noticed the PL6 too and wondered why I had never heard of it before.
    Amazon's details for the PL6 shows (in an illustration) 3 axis IS.
    Another option: I'm noticing the GF7 is coming down (on ebay) a lot quicker than the GM5.

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    For $299 there's just no risk at all in picking up an E-PL6 now. At that price, I might just violate my own personal rule that I won't buy any more cameras without viewfinders. I don't need the lens that comes with the camera because I have the 14-42 EZ. And, you're right, THAT'S the lens to pair with this camera.

On the other hand, waiting around for the E-PL7 price (even refurbished) to fall further is a possibility. Or even a refurbed E-P5 when Oly does those seasonal 20% off sales. But those reconditioned options are $150-250 more expensive than the E-PL6.

20. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    I have to make a correction on my previous statement. I said there was "Wifi addition." This is not an addition because E-PL5 is already wifi-capable with the flashair card. The E-PL6 does not have the wireless feature like the E-PL7 or the OMDs that let you remote control the shutter from your smartphones.