1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus e-pl5 wrong focal length displayed

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Jan 26, 2014.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

While preparing to do some testing for shutter shock (which I've never worried about) since it's been discussed so much on another forum, I switched to my 45mm lens, set the stabilization at "1" and noticed at the bottom of the screen that it showed 15mm. Why not 45mm, since the camera is supposed to detect the correct focal length for a native lens?

If it's setting the stabilization strength for a 15mm lens one would think it wouldn't be as effective on a 45mm lens.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That setting is only used for manual (no m4/3 electronic interface) lenses, as it only engages when no native AF lens is detected. It has no effect with a native electronic AF lens, which automatically set the exact focal length to stabilise. It's actually nice that it remembers a focal length setting because you can swap a single manual lens in and out with the AF lenses and it will go back to using that setting when you put the manual lens on.

• Like Like x 2
  3. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thank you! Happy to know that camera wasn't misbehaving.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yup...that's what I do. I only have one non-AF lens, and have the IS programmed for that. This way, it auto-detects all the Oly lenses and sets itself up accordingly, while defaulting to my setting when it detects that it's a manual lens on there.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You'll notice that the "15mm" is greyed out. If you had a fully manual lens, or no lens the text would be black.

Considering how many times this question is asked, I wish that Olympus would white out the text (make it invisible), rather than just greying it out!