1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PL5 with PL25?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LeeOsenton, Dec 29, 2012.

1. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I sold my PL25 earlier this year when I downsized my collection. The lens is wonderful but the well documented rattlesnake sound was prevalent on my now-sold E-P3. My goal was to minimize my kit with size and flexibility being most important.

I chose an E-PL5 and kept my m.Zuiko 9-18mm and 45mm lenses. I decided to add a pancake to fit between these two and chose the m.Zuiko 17 f/2.8 for the focal length and small size. I didn't expect to use it much, but during the holidays it became the best choice at gatherings and the slower focusing became a problem.

I thought I might try the new 17 f/1.8; but the increased size, cost, and overall performance have me looking at another PL25. I would like to hear from other E-PL5 owners about the PL25 handling. I also wonder if the constant chattering of the aperture blades may lead to long term problems or if it is just a nuisance to be ignored.

I know this subject has been kicked endlessly, just curious how the current Olympus cameras are doing with this lens.

Lee

2. The E-M5 showed a marked improvement compared to the E-P3/E-PL3/E-PM1 with regards to the rattlesnaking, and the E-PL5 and E-PM2 should be at least as good. It is only under artificial (usually fluorescent) lighting that my PL25 will chatter.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1

Limited time with the PL25 on my new E-PM2, but so far, it seems to perform similarly to the E-M5 when it comes to rattlesnake. With my E-P3, I had rattlesnake constantly with the PL25, whereas with the E-M5, I really have to work hard to make it happen.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones then since I've yet to hear my Leica 25 chatter on either my E-PL5 or E-PL2. :redface:

5. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Why do people worry so much about this? It is not an error - just the sound of the lens stopping down to optimise the display in the live view. I have an E-P3 and PL25 lens, which makes the sound occasionally, and it really isn't a problem. Anyone really concerned about it can set one of the function buttons to depth of field preview and hold it down, which will eliminate the sound.

• Like Like x 2
  6. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    FWIW, I've never heard it on the OM-D. It is an outstanding lens.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    It has happened only once to me, when I stepped from bright sun to a deep shadow and I was in an auto mode (A). Other than that one occasion, no problem and it's a great lens.

Gary

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've got the PL25 with an E-P3 and E-M5. My observations are:

- the rattlesnake is worse on the E-P3 than the E-M5, in fact I've had whole days when I haven't heard it on the E-M5 but probably not consecutive whole days.

- while I hear it, it's never been loud enough to really bother me. I think it's slightly quieter on the E-M5 (vibration damping from the body?).

- it seems to be lighting changes between bright/dark which trigger it for me rather than simply bright light. I have had it occur in very dim morning light and also indoors at night under subdued lighting conditions but still seemingly related to changes in light falling on the sensor.

- there seems to be such variability in comments about it from owners that I've come to think that there is some variation between different copies of the lens. Gary, for instance, reports having had only one occurrence in southern California. I'm in south-east Queensland in Australia, pretty similar sub-tropical conditions on the other side of the Equator and I would have expected our experiences to be similar given our lighting conditions seem pretty similar but his experience is very different to mine. I've seen other big differences in various reports from others. As I said, I think there's some variation between copies of this lens.

Try it out on your camera in a shop. Take it out on the street if they'll let you, or point it directly at the overhead lights with it held up as close to them as possible, and also further away from them, and point it at then away from the lights. Experiment with changing the amount of light falling on the sensor and see how often it triggers, if it does, and how loud it is. You may find that your E-P3 experience really doesn't apply to the E-PL5 at all.

9. James Pilcher

James Pilcher Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Colorful Colorado
    no rattlesnaking here

I've had my E-PL5 for about six weeks. I've kept the PL25 on it most of the time. I've yet to hear any rattlesnaking. By contrast, it was a familiar sound on my E-PL3, although it never bothered me.

10. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I have never heard it on my E-M5.

11. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I used to call my last PL25 the chipmunk lens, and it got that name the obvious way. I almost always shoot in aperture priority mode and that thing never stopped chattering except when I clicked the shutter. I loved the results, but hated the sound. It felt like a hotrod with the pinion set too tight in the differential.

Thanks for all the responses; I hoped that the situation was getting better.

Lee

12. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Haj
    FWIW, I get the "rattlesnake" with PL25 on my E-M5 whenever I'm out shooting outside on sunny days, never under other conditions, but always on sunny days.

13. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Never had any clicking on my EPL5 or EM5 but it does make a clicking sound when used on my EPM1.

I must say though the clicking sound is such a non issue though. Unless you're a ninja that needs to take photos you'll be fine.

14. loko12345

loko12345 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 8, 2012
    Same here; I've had the chattering happen to me on the EM5 but it does not bother me at all as, for the rare times it happens, I'm usually not in a location where I need to be in spy mode.