1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus e-pl5 + vf-2 or OM-D?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by homerusan, Feb 8, 2013.

1. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    looking for a second body.
    i love to take my all lenses with me and so it brings loss of time while switching.
    so my heart is with OMD but e-pl5 also scratch my mind.
    what do you suggest?
    e-pl5 + vf-2 or omd?

thanks

2. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    I was at your place. I decided to buy refurbished body for omd. Trust me, you will like the weather sealed body and the IBIS.

3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    • IBIS
    • Weather sealing
    • Ability to add grip

If you find the above list important, then also consider that a refurbished OM-D will probably cost less than a new E-PL5 + new VF2 (don't know where you are, but here in Greece, a new E-PL5+VF2 are 100 euro more expensive than a NEW OM-D).

Besides, you already have a slightly more compact body you can assign the role of a "take everywhere camera".

edit: just saw you are in Turkey, note what I wrote on the other thread about pricing.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    The answer is easy for me, I hate carrying little accessories around (I don't even like the flash units that come with these mini cameras). So the E-M5 is my choice. And it was and then I picked up an E-PL5 (however the latter is going back to B&H today for an exchange because it initially shuts off instead of taking a picture if it sits turned off for any extended length of time).

5. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I'd wait for the much rumored new cameras later this year, and just get an E-PM2 body only, or E-PL5 body only. That way the e-pm2 ends up being your spare.

6. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    yes water seal body, ibis and grips are really important options so i think i will listen to my heart

thanks for the answers

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    To be fair, the E-M5 also has the (same) small add-on flash as most Pens do. Apart from that the only advantage of the VF-2 over the integrated viewfinder is that you can work at an angle, but this is trivial IMO since most of the times you can use the LCD for that purpose.

8. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    One other advantage of the OM-D is usability. The top control dials offer finger tip control of aperture, shutter and ev, in PASM modes. I have both cameras and really love both of them. But I noticed with my epl5 some times, especially in situations where speed and efficiency are important I tend to just 'set and forget' aperture. I generally shoot in A mode. It's a little fiddly adjusting the multi function rear dial. Whereas on the omd I'm much more apt to fiddle with manual controls and is more akin to a traditional film SLR.

If possible can you go to a shop and play around with both side by side ?

9. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    So would anyone's opinion change in a case that someone already had the evf?

10. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    i was thinking the same. i use A mode generally too and changing the aparture with rear dial, is difficult sometimes because of cameras little size. i agree with you to using top dial increase the efficiency

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Used/refurb OMD is a better route if you are starting from scratch. I got the E-pl5 but I already had the VF-2.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    In nearly every aspect, from build to performance, the OM-D is superior to the E-PL5. The only exception I can think of is IQ, both use the same sensor. Some of those differences are significant and some are minor (personal preferences). If your top priority is small size and the ability to remove the EVF for a smaller size then the E-PL5. If not then all things considered, the OM-D is clearly a superior camera for nearly the same cost.

Gary

13. aimawayfromface

aimawayfromface Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2012
    I chose the E-PL5 over the E-M5 simply for pocketability--it will just fit in my pants pocket with a 9-18, 25 or even 40-150 attached (cargo pants). If not for pocketability I think the E-M5 is a better choice.

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I bought the E-PL5 with the VF2. I don't use the VF2 all the time and the small size of the E-PL5 is nice. OTOH, I suspect overall dimensions of the E-PL5 plus VF2 are not much different to the OM-D, so if you tend to use the EVF most of the time, then the OM-D is probably a better bet.

15. 67DGS

67DGS Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I bought the E-PL5 because I wanted small size and portability. I looked at the OM-D but here in Canada it was almost twice the price and I already had the VF2. Although if I wasn't already using and invested in a 4/3 system DSLR I would have definitley gone to an OM-D.

Jack

16. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't have an E-PL5 but I do have an E-P3 and an E-M5.

I'd go for the E-M5. I have problems with the VF2 occasionally slipping off the E-P3 when I pull it out of a tight bag plus it's easier to accidentally change the diopter setting on the VF2 and find yourself wondering why things are slightly out of focus when the camera says they are in focus. Another big viewfinder plus for the E-M5 is that you have some alternative display options and the options which put a border around a smaller image with the info display below the image make it easier for me to see the whole frame at once since I wear glasses which puts my eye a little further from the viewfinder, just enough to make it hard for me to see all of the edges when using the VF2.

I also prefer the 2 dial arrangement on the top of the E-M5.

17. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I took my ElP-5 with the vf-2 to a Mardi Gras Parade.It was sunny so no light challenge. The great thing is you don't have to make a choice. I bought a vf-2 when they had a hundred dollar off sale. Otherwise it is ridiculously overpriced. However I just love the way you can look down at 90 degrees. This is so stealthy . I was right on top of people who had no idea they were being photographed.

I hold the camera with a Zip tripod. So if there were a bunch of tall people in front of me you just tilt the screen down and put the camera about 5 feet over your head, and use the cable release. You could do exactly the same thing with the OMD but it is a little heavier and more obvious.

You do get less social interaction with the crowd than with a larger camera but you get your choice here.