olympus e-pl5 makes noise while powering up

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by arge127, Jun 7, 2013.

1. arge127

arge127 New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2013
    san diego
    I just got the e-pl5 earlier today and when i power it up I get a sound that last maybe half a second. Is this normal? here is a video of it making the sound: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCzIO7Q5Vc&]is it suppose to make that sound while powering up? - YouTube[/ame]
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yep - they all do that. It's the IBIS.
  3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Wow, that's a lot louder than in the OM-D!
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Correction - mine's virtually silent on power up. It's on power down that it makes a sort of graunching noise.
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Mine makes a sound at power-up....but not that sound. :redface:
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yep, the IBIS in the E-M5 is a totally different system.
  7. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    To the OP. My E-P5 makes a quiet 'click' sound on powerup. Nothing like the buzzer sound you're getting on the vid.
  8. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    That's not normal. My girlfriend's EPM-1 started doing that after she dropped it. Theory is that it's the dust cleaning motors that vibrate the sensor on startup.
  9. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

I agree, not normal. Mine does not make that sound either.
  10. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I am another whose EPL5 doesn't make that sound.
  11. linhrom

linhrom New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Hai Linh
    i bought a new EPL5 2 months ago. It doesnt make any noise. Then the shutter button came off. I sent mine in for repair.

just got it back today. It doesnt make the sound when turning on. BUT it does make the exact same noise when powering down like somebody already said.

So it didnt make the noise, now it does after coming back from Olympus. So i guess its normal since they just checked everythign before sending it back to me, and they must have replace some new component (they said they replace the back panel for mine) which makes the sound. So i guess old ones dont make sound and new ones do??? :biggrin:

but anyway, mine just came back and make the same noise as yours. So it must be normal unless the Olympus tech screwed mine up lolz ...