Olympus E-PL5 and trouble with this one Panasonic lens...

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
I bought a handy cheap E-PL5 as my secondary body as I was dangerously low on camera count. I'm pairing with Panasonic lenses, the marvelous performers 12-32 and 35-100 f/4-5.6.

I'm having this problem:

E-PL5 is unable to focus the 35-100 correctly at longer distances.

I guess that's it for the problem statement! I had trouble with a backlit scene yesterday but I realized that one test shot where focus was way closer (same backlit scene) it focused correctly. Then the same problem occured with a frontlit scene. So it's probably not as much about the backlit/frontlit situation but the general compatibility between the body and the lens.

So what happens?

S-AF, single point (small or normal) and I'm clearly placing the point over a contrasty edge. The focus ramps back and forth for a second or so, then gives up. The focus box does NOT turn green as the camera also realises this wasn't a success.

The very same lens did just fine 12-18 months ago when I had it paired with the Pen-F.

Anyone perhaps familiar with the same phenomenon? In these attached examples you can judge if the light level is too low for this body; I've also marked several spots what I used as the focus points -- should be contrasty enough!

Attachments

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On the second photo you have chosen dark indistinct places. Why not aim at the top edge of the building, that would be a very contrasty edge.
Try it in better conditions with better focus points. I'm sure the manual lists conditions like these as ones where the focus may not work.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom