1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PL3 or E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BLX, Feb 28, 2012.

1. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    I was originally planning to get the E-PM1, a colleague of mine was going to bring it back from US next week. But now the price has increase $75 again and
    I have a opportunity to get a "month old" E-PL3 for a little more than a new E-PM1. I think the flip screen and the extra controls would be great and it is not much bigger.

Has anyone tried both. Any opinions in handling of them?

Thanks in advance
    Morten

2. Offriver

Offriver Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2011
    I had an epm1 for a little while and just bought an e-pl3 about a week ago. I really liked the e-pm1, but sold it to check out the Sony NEX. Now I'm back to micro four thirds.

I haven't used the e-pl3 much yet, but I immediately noticed less vibration and noise from the shutter. I like that it is just a tad thicker than the e-pm1 and I find the tilting screen very useful. The e-pl3 has more buttons and dials - and it is helpful to have the option to customize the function of some of them whereas on the e-pm1 your options are limited. There are also more art filter variations which is a feature that I love using. Other than that... they seem to be about the same!

Both are great cameras. I'd go for the e-pl3 if they aren't much different in price.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The difference isn't substantial, but an upgrade is an upgrade. You get a few more buttons (including a dedicated Magnifier) so you can free up your Record button for more things, and you have a tilt LCD which might come in handy at times.

So just what could a month of use do to the camera? That's a personal issue whether or not you're comfortable with buying used products. In the long run, it'll probably make no difference. A year down the road you'll still be using your E-PL3, but are you going to remember that its first month of service was in somebody else's hands?

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Don't think you can lose either way...I went with the e-pm1 because I didn't see $200 of added value in a flipscreen and more physical buttons, but if they were the same price, I probably would have gone with it.

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I will go for the E-PL3 simply because of more external controls. No experience on both, but if I have to get one, I'll get the E-PL3 putting much weight on the extra controls, especially if coming from a DSLR

(BLX, same from the Cafe? haha. nice to see you here! :biggrin:)

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well I went for an E-pm1 and came out with an E-pl3. Could not be more happy with my choice. Used it very much this weekend and all I can say is its a rea very nice little camera.

7. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    Many thanks for your inputs all... much appreciated
    I have not tried holding the E-PL3 (there's no stores having it in my town). I have tried the E-PM1 and I like the size... but I think I go for the E-PL3 and order a grip for it too.

Thanks again

8. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    Thanks. Yep also on the cafe. My D90 and few lenses is going to fund this little fella and some primes :)

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Congrats. Lets see some pics when you get it

10. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    It is on it's way now :smile: