1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PL3 in red with 14-42 Lens on Newegg.com for $199!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Everhandy, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

2. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I fell for it....

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Silver is OOS.

4. wands

wands New to Mu-43

Nov 24, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Me too. Bought for my daughter in red.

5. byron92806

byron92806 New to Mu-43

May 16, 2010
    I ordered one. I already have an epl3 but I have to reset the date and time every time I change the battery. It would cost me $199 to get it fixed. This is my back up camera to my ep3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I cancelled my EP3 order at Olympus in favor of the E-PL3. This will be my dedicated video / ski / bike / hike / street / car cam!

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I haven't mastered Olympus nomenclature. How does this camera compare in the lineup?

8. Captiva

Captiva Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
  9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Basically the Pens don't have viewfinders built in, while the OM-Ds do. In the Pens, the E-P series is the full featured one, basically equivalent to their OM-Ds. The E-PL is smaller and has fewer manual controls. The E-PM is the smallest and has the fewest features and controls.

All of them are basically using the same sensor now, so image quality is the same. Which one is right for you depends on how many features you need, and what your budget is.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    You're correct about the sensor, though the lineup may confuse newcomers. All the models using same sensor are E-M5, E-P5, E-PL5, and **E-PM2**. There are also size and handling differences between them. FWIW, I tried an e-pl3 and didn't much like the handling. That said, I'm 6'4" and usually need XXL gloves.

I settled on an E-M5 and now I'm trying hard to resist looking at the E-M1….

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Why does the epm2 have the same sensor as the 5-series? Have there only been two in that series? At least I understand the Panasonic lineup. Hahah.

• Like Like x 1
  12. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
  13. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Is the lens worth anything NOS/used if I just wanted the body?

$100?

14. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    $199 was just the right price for me. Ordered one in silver. It will be my 2nd m4/3 camera (current/1st camera is the G5). Very happy to get a nice little pocketable camera for the price of a point & shoot. Just got the 20/1.7, so I imagine it will be nice and compact on this body.

The people I know who are in the market for a new camera and who have a point & shoot budget .... it pains me to think of paying $200+ for a point & shoot whose IQ won't come close to this.

15. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Probably 80-100, depending on how quick you want to sell.

• Like Like x 1
  16. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Mine came in yesterday too. Holy cow I love this thing! It's smaller than I thought. My wife is already trying to claim it as her own, and the kids are running around the house taking movies and pictures of everything.

$199, what a bargain.

17. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Doing some more research (now that i've already ordered the camera, LOL) I am expecting that this will not be THE end-all, be-all m4/3 camera. (I do already have a G5.) But I keep reminding myself that for $209, which is what I paid for a silver e-pl3, it will be fun to play around with, and a bit more portable than my G5.

Also, my brother & his family ordered a black one, before they sold out, and I think/hope they will like it. Their DSLR got stolen and they have been without camera for a while. DSLR was too big and heavy for their liking, but my brother really didn't want to drop any money on a point & shoot because he is savvy enough to know that IQ with a standard p&s just isn't going to make him happy. I really hope that for $200, he will be happy to get into the world of m4/3.

18. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The rangefinder style body is nice for just walking around. Especially if you pair it with a pancake like the 14mm or 20mm at some point. I end up using my GX1 more than my G5 simply because I keep my GX1 in my bag when I go to work. I imagine it is the same with the E-PL3.

For a little extra style, you can get one of these skins:
    http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/E-PL3/Leather/EPL3_LeatherKit.php

• Like Like x 2
  19. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Today they have a 10% off promo code NAFSAVETENDEC6W which brings the price from 209.99 to $189.99, just a little cheaper than before. It seems to fluctuate between $190 and $220 on Newegg.