1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PL2 and Nikon SB-24

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by NYCRockStar, May 5, 2015.

1. NYCRockStar

NYCRockStar New to Mu-43

May 5, 2015
    Roger
    Hi all-

I've been using my trusty E-PL2 for a number of years now, and soon will have the need to use a more powerful, external flash for an event I'm shooting.

Was wondering if I can use my old Nikon SB-24 -- I put it in the hot shoe, but it didn't trigger.

(BTW, I've confirmed that the SB-24 shouldn't fry the circuitry of the Oly already)

Am I missing something? Should this work, and if so, how would I use it? I assume on manual, but how specifically? My flash knowledge is rusty, as it dates to when I purchased the SB-24 in 1989, WAY before the digital era.

I also have a 30-year-old Vivitar 285, but I'm SURE that won't be good to use on the Oly's hot shoe, unless you have some info that I'm unaware of.

Thanks in advance...

-Roger

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

YEs, it should work. Did you confirm it was full engaged? Do you have flash disabled in the settings anywhere?

SB-24 should work pretty well in with the flash's own Auto mode. You just match the settings on the flash and in the camera (with M mode) and the flash calculates the exposure for you with its own sensors.

3. NYCRockStar

NYCRockStar New to Mu-43

May 5, 2015
    Roger
    It appears fully seated in the hot shoe -- there's no wiggling at all.
    Flash shouldn't be disabled (I've never used a hot shoe flash on it, but have used an EVF, so it works), but the on-camera flash works fine. Does the pop-up/on-camera flash need to be engaged for the hot-shoe flash to fire? There's not much room for the on-camera to pop-up while the flash is in the hot shoe.