Olympus E-PL2 and Nikon SB-24

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by NYCRockStar, May 5, 2015.

1. NYCRockStar

NYCRockStar New to Mu-43

May 5, 2015
    Roger
    Hi all-

I've been using my trusty E-PL2 for a number of years now, and soon will have the need to use a more powerful, external flash for an event I'm shooting.

Was wondering if I can use my old Nikon SB-24 -- I put it in the hot shoe, but it didn't trigger.

(BTW, I've confirmed that the SB-24 shouldn't fry the circuitry of the Oly already)

Am I missing something? Should this work, and if so, how would I use it? I assume on manual, but how specifically? My flash knowledge is rusty, as it dates to when I purchased the SB-24 in 1989, WAY before the digital era.

I also have a 30-year-old Vivitar 285, but I'm SURE that won't be good to use on the Oly's hot shoe, unless you have some info that I'm unaware of.

Thanks in advance...

-Roger

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

YEs, it should work. Did you confirm it was full engaged? Do you have flash disabled in the settings anywhere?

SB-24 should work pretty well in with the flash's own Auto mode. You just match the settings on the flash and in the camera (with M mode) and the flash calculates the exposure for you with its own sensors.

3. NYCRockStar

NYCRockStar New to Mu-43

May 5, 2015
    Roger
    It appears fully seated in the hot shoe -- there's no wiggling at all.
    Flash shouldn't be disabled (I've never used a hot shoe flash on it, but have used an EVF, so it works), but the on-camera flash works fine. Does the pop-up/on-camera flash need to be engaged for the hot-shoe flash to fire? There's not much room for the on-camera to pop-up while the flash is in the hot shoe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.