1. Try our free app!    iPhone/iPad    Android
    Dismiss Notice

Olympus E-PL1 - max shutter speed with flash.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by vaibhavk9885, Aug 1, 2012.

1. vaibhavk9885

vaibhavk9885 New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2012
    I recently bought an Oly E-Pl1.
    As with many, this is my first upgrade from Point & Shoot.
    My question is, is there any limitation of increasing max shutter speed with the flash?
    Currently I can only get maximum shutter speed as 1/160th of a sec. with flash opened up?
    Please help!

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    That is the upper limit on flash-shutter sync for the E-PL1, no way around it as far as I know. Here's a great video explaining why:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hvZ6VujbhjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 4
  3. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    I'll say this much, I have used radio triggers (don't go cheap, trust me spend at least $40 on a trigger) with studio flashes, that have achieved 1/250th of a second sync with about 1 in 10 showing a little bit of shutter curtain.

Of course once you understand how those external flashes work, you can still freeze motion in certain circumstances, even at 1/160th, but that gets easier in that respect if you are using a more powerful flash, not the built-in one. And the special external flashes that can sync at high speed, do so at the cost of the maximum power available to the flash.

Links in this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.