Olympus E-PL1 lens issue/new camera time?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fleastang, Dec 29, 2013.

1. fleastang

fleastang New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2013
    I am new to the site and happy to find a dedicated site for 4/3 owners. I have had my E-PL1 for close to 2 years and have been satisfied with it. I recently went hiking and fell resulting in a trashed 42mm lens. My camera body was unscathed and I still have my 150mm. Can you get a replacement for the 42mm without spending too much which may justify an upgraded camera? My searches have found direct replacements at $199 and up. I can get used complete setups for not a whole lot more. What recommendations do you guys have be it upgrade or a good lens replacement recommendation? Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    The 14-42mm kit lens is a pretty good lens, especially at the wide end 14mm @ f/3.5. It's sharp enough with acceptable light fall-off. If you add software processing like I do with DXO Optics Pro using the E-PL1 camera module and 14-42, you will get results that make your jaws drop and it helps correct lens softness, Lateral CA, sharpening and distortions plus smoothen noise on your images. So why then you need to spend more money than you need be?

The 14-42mm is an easy kit lens to replace because most people will flog em on Craigslist. Why? Because a lot of these lens come with kits priced to sell. It's cheaper to buy a kit rather to buy a full body alone, so people buy them, keep the new body and sell the kit lens brand new for like 50% off. In my area alone, I see like 7 of these new lenses sold for $100 or less if you want to haggle. I personally like the kit lens because it's light and it's cheap enough to replace.

I shoot with an E-PL1 with the 14-42mm lens and I hike. It's a fantastic combo.
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

14-42mm (both the older and newer version) should be obtainable for much cheaper than $199. I think I see them go on ebay for under $100 (sometimes under $50). Make sure you don't accidentally choose / bid on a standard four thirds version.

Ebay seller: pvt4545 is a refurbished reseller of Olympus. Contact him and ask if has one to sell you.
  4. fleastang

fleastang New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks for the advice!! As before I could not find any micro 4/3 lenses avail thru Craigslist in my area. I went on ebay and bid on a new unused (new version II) 42mm kit lens and got it shipped for less than $100. Thanks again!
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I think you'll like it -- I've used both and the II version is a bit smaller. It has a smaller thread size, so if you have any filters you'll want to see if you can find a step ring.