1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-PL1 as Audio Recorder

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Mar 27, 2011.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Do you have the microphone kit - or is that just the internal mic?

3. isabel95

Would you believe that's just the internal mike? Amazing, isn't it? The sound is so free of distortion. WAV captured from video and then converted to mp3.

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with mine. I get a lot of noise in the audio.

5. isabel95

Here are some pointers about sound:

Watch where you put your fingers and when you hold on to your camera don't move them! If you have your lens cap hanging by a cord, remove it. Any sound near the camera will be picked up. Another thing - if you have the camera around your neck, hanging by a neck strap and that moves while you're shooting, you'll hear that too.

If you're outside and it's windy, you will have wind sound.

What sort of noise are you talking about?

Would be best if you posted a sample, somehow, because then we can analyze what you're hearing.

Isabel

6. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Funny, I actually have a Belkin mini-studio recording device with a mic that utilizes the ipod to record. I solely use it to record acoustic guitar and to see how it sounds in different environments.

I find myself reaching for the EPL-1 since the start-up is faster. The sound quality is pretty decent....actually so decent that my Belkin device is now collecting dust.

7. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Sounds great Isabel!

8. isabel95

I also have a Sony Minidisc Recorder...

which was my first "serious" audio recorder but didn't get enough use so the battery stopped holding a charge. A true pain in the neck to use, so I bought the Zoom H2. Now I find for my simple purposes the E-PL1 is darn good!
    Isabel

9. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Read some rave reviews on the Zoom H2 though.

Now I'm curious as to how much better the EPL-1's are with the SEMA-1 add-on.

10. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I've done a test file and you can find it here:

EPL1 noise test wav by Spuff on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I've got a decent mic and interface and have replicated what I did with the EPL1.
    The EPL1 was resting on its base and my voice was about 3.5 feet away.
    I put the mic in the same position for the second segment.

The last segment is the organ inside a fairgorund carousel playing a surprising tune.
    Can anyone name that tune?

To cut that short - there is loads of hiss on the EPL1.

11. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I captured a coot calling today. That has made it clear to me that the EPL1 is employing some kind of audio compression (that's completely different from data compression) or limiting to the recording with a slow release. There has to be some kind of limiting to stop the signal clipping and distorting (which it will anyway if it is too loud) but this seems quite heavy handed.
    If this is badly applied then this would explain why under some circumstances the noise floor is highly raised whereas it isn't under other circumstances.
    I don't understand why Olympus would use PCM for losless quality then apply a severe process to the audio over which the user has no control.
    I hope the Sema kit bypasses what is happening to the audio via the internal mic.

This is the clip. There doesn't seem to be any hiss here. The noise is traffic in the background.
    Coot call by Spuff on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

You'll here the background is being dipped when and after the call happens. In the last call you can see on the Soundcloud waveform (I don't know why Soundcloud shows a large waveform in places where Cubase shows a much lower level) the lengthy dip. The lurch back up is really clear.

12. isabel95

I have the same trouble with traffic when I shoot birds where I live. I
    Isabel