Olympus e-pl1 + 14mm / Panasonic GF3 + 14mm

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by sboschi, May 31, 2012.

1. sboschi

sboschi New to Mu-43

Jan 14, 2012
    These are the two alternatives I am considering:

Olympus E-PL1 for $150 (Amazon) + Panasonic 14mm for $175 (eCrater) (total $325)
    Panasonic GF3 + 14mm for $379 (B&H or Amazon)

The reason for the purchase is that I want to add a wide angle small and fast lens to my kit (GH2 + 14-140mm + Panasonic 20mm)
    and a smaller m43 camera.

I would probably use the camera only with 14mm and 20mm.

Still I am a bit perplexed by the lack of VF add-on on the GF3. However GF3 is more recent, its tech specs are better ? And the VF is expensive ... probably useless given that I have the GH2.

Your thoughts ? Maybe I should just buy the lens ?

2. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I have both - got the GF3 mainly as a) it was on sale at a great price b) I wanted a more compact (pocketable) alternative to my E-PL1 and the GF3 + 14mm/20mm provides that. I also prefer the Panasonic menus and handling and the AF is much faster than the EPL1. Touch to focus is a nifty little feature too - not essential but nice to have.

So if you want a smaller m43 body then get the GF3 (EPL1 is still quite chunky) but of course if you think the lack of viewfinder and/or hotshoe will be a problem for you, then get the EPL1 (or even an EPM1?). As you point out though the viewfinder is expensive - almost as much as the camera cost over again. The screen on the GF3 is much nicer (and also larger) than the one on the E-PL1.

I hardly ever use flash and the GF3 is mainly for indoor use rather than bright sunlight so I have no problem with it's limitations and have happily used a Nex and EPL1 (both without a viewfinder) for over a year with only the odd occasion when I really wished I had a viewfinder (in bright sunlight).

Ideally I would have preferred the EPM1 over the GF3 for better white balance, IBIS and arguably more pleasing jpegs (and the option of adding a viewfinder or flash even though I would be unlikely to do so), but the GF3 deal worked out at a third of the price of the EPM1, so I went for that. :smile:
  3. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the E-PL1 has very nice IQ, the 14mm is my goto lens during the day, love this combo.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    They're both good and I think it really boils down to what you like. I had an E-PL1 and didn't care for the way it handled. That said, look at the amazing shots littleMT gets with her E-PL1. If you can, try and find a place where you can handle them. It really boils down to small stuff like do you like where your thumb sits? What does it feel like in hand and such. They share the same sensor, the Olympus tweaks their default color so it is more pleasing to most folks OOC, has IBIS and better default AWB but the Panasonic will have loads faster AF, a touch screen and be a bit smaller.

Neither is a bad choice.