Olympus E-P5 Sanity Check (vis-a-vis E-M5)

Real Name
Nic
I thought you were short odds to pick up the EM1 Nic.....don't you have few 4/3 lenses on a shelf somewhere ?

Looks as though you've got the pros and cons right, the only thing now is to mentally go through that list and weight/rank those items and how they stack up against your EM5 and the cost of the new gear....thats how I did it anyway, fwiw I concluded that despite being keen on a few of the new features I wasn't prepared to shell out the extra $800 or so for them. For myself the most genuinely useful features would be the new faster max shutter speed, small AF box and better buttons(my only real gripe with the EM5)....those 3 are really the only 3 that would practically effect my everyday shooting.

What also effected my decision was the RX1 has reminded me just how much i dislike detachable EVFs.....to get the RX1 it was in my case a necessary evil, but ultimately meant that the EP5 was for me never going to happen. I do realise that we shoot quite differently....I shoot 90% via the EVF and you shoot a hell of a lot more from the rear screen so what's important for me may not be important for you. I think the cameras are so close in so many ways (and virtually indistinguishable in sensor performance) that it may just come down to the whole inbuilt/detachable EVF and LCD thing.

Funny thing is, Panasonic has done me a MASSIVE favour with the GX7, no I'm not buying it, but building it with an inbuilt EVF, and having it appears some success with sales numbers, will I hope all but force Olympus' hand and we will see the next PEN with an inbuilt EVF...now THAT is a camera I would buy....besides, I think it's a really good thing to SKIP a generation anyways and possibly catch some newer sensor tech.

You're reading my mind here, Joe. My #1 annoyance with the E-M5 is the focus box, I've also run into the 1/4000 shutter speed limit more times than I thought I might, and I also find the buttons on the back of the camera quite awkward to operate.

The EVF is very much an occasional use item for me so detachable is not a problem, although if the VF-4 is a big improvement on the E-M5 EVF I might be inclined to use it more often. I know that the EVF on the E-M5 has always been considered quite good but I've never been completely enamoured with it.

Real Name
Nic
Each to their own Nic, but if I was preparing to spend $1000 ish on a camera, it would have to be the E-M1 - the E-P5 lacks so much in comparison:

- PDAF for CAF and 4/3 lenses
- Built in EVF (= flash and EVF at same time)
- Usable WiFi
- Really nice form factor
- Weather proofing

YMMV as our American cousins might say!

I have looked long and hard at the E-M1 but I struggle to make a value case for what it offers. I do have a 4/3 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 lens just waiting for the E-M1, but truth be told I struggle to find uses for telephoto lenses these days and I'm more inclined to sell the lens than keep it now.

I'm basically set on the fact that the key components of the E-M5 are just about exactly what I want (give or take the built-in EVF) but I'd like to look at something that removes some of my key annoyances. I have thought of owning a higher-end body with built-in grip that more closely follows the ergonomics of my old Canon DSLRs, but I've changed the way that I shoot a camera so much with mirrorless cameras and particularly the E-M5 that I just don't know if I want a more conventionally shaped body that encourages eye-to-viewfinder shooting.

Biggest cons for me are the EVF on the E-P5 sticks out like a sore thumb (bulky, not robust) and the fact that with the EVF, the E-P5 costs about $400 more than the E-M5. If you don't use the EVF most of the time, I guess those are moot points though.

My suspicion is that the E-P5 is going to see some major price cuts before the holidays. All indications are that it's not selling well, and the availability of the GX7 and E-M1 is only going to make it a harder sell.

The release price of the E-P5 was definitely a bit of shock when compared to the E-M5, even though it was an upgrade in a number of areas. I should add that unlike the E-M5 I am not looking to buy new this time so I avoid the initial price drop from new. This is a maybe now, maybe later proposition for me. It's more along the lines of; if I find one at a decent saving from new and/or in an attractively priced package, do I jump on it or hold off and see what else happens with pricing and new releases.

Real Name
Nic
I was on the market for GX7 or E-M5, but ordered the subj. Waiting for it.

For me personally I dont need viewfinder, I used to shoot with micro and LCD screen with no issues.

But from other perspective I dont need wifi and build in flash, so I'd prefer E-PM2, if that would have normal dial ring for travel.
For heavier lenses such as 35-100 and 75mm I think the E-P5 would be better balanced body...

My biggest concern over the two smaller E-PM2 and E-PL5 Pens is that they have only one control dial. Two, well-placed dials are a key feature for me, and the re-positioning of the dials on the E-P5 compared to the E-P3 is one of the reasons that has put the E-P5 on my radar.

daum

Mu-43 Veteran
I thought the EM-5 would be the perfect balance of size, and features but the more I used it the more I wish my E-P3 had 5-axis as I didn't like the hump, and protruding EVF because it was always in the way.

As an enthusiast, the E-P5 can is great daily carry because of it's size, controls, and of course 5-axis. Didn't care much for the EVF as i use the LCD most of the time even when I had the EM-5. It can also be a "pro" camera when needed by attaching the EVF so I feel it's a versatile camera. I see the removable EVF as a feature and not a con.

If later pen models include an integrated EVF, they should make it like the fuji X-E1 where it's flush to the body.

Chrisnmn

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
Hey Nick, i was in your same boat like 3 weeks ago, i bought the ep5 and im currently selling my omd, and heres why. I dont like the DSLR approach that the em1 took, if i want a dslr ill go an use one, like the new pentax, with bigger sensor and more bells and whistle for less money. So again size is important to me. The ep5 is supposed to have the same sensor as my beloved OMD. Yet processing my raw files in lr5.2 i can see cleaner files coming from my ep5 compared to my omd. How much cleaner? Dont know, im not much into mathematics, brick walls and such, but i assure you that im getting bit cleaner files, which was something not expected yet quite welcomed.

Also the size is the same as the omd, but better. I like cold blooded metal cameras lately. Little to no plastic. Button placement is more intuitive and a nice addition is the 1-2 lever switch, that i use to go from af to mf on the fly.

And all the other pros are like you said; way better lcd, faster shutter speeds, evf with no comparison in the market that you can also tilt and shoot like a tlr (which i loved from my vf2). Wifi for me is a "want" not a need, and in all honesty i dont think anyone would "need" wifi in a camera like this, unless you are a pro needing tethering for big shoots with clients looking. But is a welcomed feature and i see myself using the wifi feature a lot lately that works like a charm.

Battery is the same as the omd so i didnt have to buy extra spare batreries or chargers.

Peaking is great and makes mf as quick as af lenses (this depends on the user though) but with the vf4 i found myself not needing the peaking as is clear/bright enough to manual focus, yes is that good.

Also for the price im getting for my omd , the upgrade costed me only $200~ but still a lot cheaper than the em1 with a lot of the exact same features.

Is there any downside to the camera? Yes! Like almost every camera on earth.
No weathersealing (though i shot with the camera IN a river on the water almost. No problems)
The grip is not that good but not that bad either a neck strap fix it. Thats my 2 cents Nic.

Sorry my typos

Sent from my ipad

Real Name
Nic
Thanks again for all the responses to my question.

Hey Nick, i was in your same boat like 3 weeks ago, i bought the ep5 and im currently selling my omd, and heres why. I dont like the DSLR approach that the em1 took, if i want a dslr ill go an use one, like the new pentax, with bigger sensor and more bells and whistle for less money. So again size is important to me. The ep5 is supposed to have the same sensor as my beloved OMD. Yet processing my raw files in lr5.2 i can see cleaner files coming from my ep5 compared to my omd. How much cleaner? Dont know, im not much into mathematics, brick walls and such, but i assure you that im getting bit cleaner files, which was something not expected yet quite welcomed.

Also the size is the same as the omd, but better. I like cold blooded metal cameras lately. Little to no plastic. Button placement is more intuitive and a nice addition is the 1-2 lever switch, that i use to go from af to mf on the fly.

And all the other pros are like you said; way better lcd, faster shutter speeds, evf with no comparison in the market that you can also tilt and shoot like a tlr (which i loved from my vf2). Wifi for me is a "want" not a need, and in all honesty i dont think anyone would "need" wifi in a camera like this, unless you are a pro needing tethering for big shoots with clients looking. But is a welcomed feature and i see myself using the wifi feature a lot lately that works like a charm.

Battery is the same as the omd so i didnt have to buy extra spare batreries or chargers.

Peaking is great and makes mf as quick as af lenses (this depends on the user though) but with the vf4 i found myself not needing the peaking as is clear/bright enough to manual focus, yes is that good.

Also for the price im getting for my omd , the upgrade costed me only $200~ but still a lot cheaper than the em1 with a lot of the exact same features.

Is there any downside to the camera? Yes! Like almost every camera on earth.
No weathersealing (though i shot with the camera IN a river on the water almost. No problems)
The grip is not that good but not that bad either a neck strap fix it. Thats my 2 cents Nic.

Sorry my typos

Sent from my ipad

Ha, yes! All this sounds quite familiar, although for me the DSLR-like proportions of a camera like the E-M1 wouldn't send me off packing for an actual DSLR since those cameras lack too many features compared to Micro 4/3. I haven't ruled out the E-M1 completely but I just have a feeling that it is more camera than I want and more money than I want to spend.

I'm not currently unhappy with my E-M5, just spitballing ideas for a way to make me happier. Sounds like the E-P5 is a strong contender to make that happen so I'm going to keep a close eye on prices from now on.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
I'd hate to have to resort to using the anti-shock shutter delay since responsiveness is one of the key benefits of Micro 4/3.

I likely wouldn't use it either unless I was doing macro (and apparently the Oly60mm lens is one of the trouble-makers it seems) or still life. Frankly with the kinds of shots I see you taking and being mostly in the "normal" focal range, you can just turn off the IBIS and then not even worry about the shutter shock issue (I'm fairly sure from most of reading that the issue is caused by the IBIS trying to correct for the vibrations caused by the shutter actuation).

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nic, bumping this up. Where are you at with E-P5? Still looking for a sweet deal, or have you decided to stick with the E-M5? Curious if your reasoning has changed at all after a few months?

Latest threads

Top Bottom