1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-P5 Sanity Check (vis-a-vis E-M5)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Luckypenguin, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Since the E-M1 was announced I've been through various thoughts and machinations of do I want one, would I benefit from one, etc. I'm thinking now that as good as it is I'm not going to get the E-M1 since it's a lot of money for what I'd gain over the E-M5. I think that I actually want the 12-40mm lens more than the E-M1 body. Notwithstanding that, there are still a number of new features that Olympus has brought out recently that would solve some of the few issues that I have with the E-M5, and that has got me thinking more seriously about the E-P5. While the two cameras share a lot of similarities I've tried to come up with a list of key differences between E-P5 (inc VF-4) and the E-M5 which is as follows

E-P5 Pros:
    - Much better implementation and integration of the small focus box and display modes such as histogram and blinkies
    - 1/8000 fastest shutter speed
    - Slightly faster operation and start-up times.
    - Higher resolution rear OLED screen
    - Larger, higher resolution, higher quality EVF that is tiltable and removable.
    - "2x2" control switch
    - Built-in Wifi functionality albeit camera control limited to iAuto only
    - Built-in flash unit
    - Better feeling buttons
    - The best looking of the Olympus Micro 4/3 bodies and one of the best looking cameras currently available

E-P5 Cons:
    - Not weather-sealed
    - Louder shutter?
    - EVF not built-in (given the extra bulk or reduction in rear screen height that a bulit-in EVF creates this is very close to a pro for me)

That is everything that I can come up with. Does it sound about right? Is there anything I missed (pro or con)? As it is it makes picking up an E-P5 at the right price seem like a reasonable idea, with finding the right price being the trick of course.

• Like Like x 4
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Sound reasoning, Nic, but bear in mind that DPR recently found that the E-P5 seems more prone to shutter shock than other Olympus models. I haven't seen this mentioned in other tests so maybe they had a rogue camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Nic ... Teds are selling EP5 body only for AUD 870 only . I bought one for a friend recently . This is the cheapest price on planet earth .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  4. timg

timg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2012
    I really want to like the EP5 but the biggest con for me is the inability to change the grip... it's an essential for my EP3 and I've yet to find a third-party who makes add-on grips like those found for the EM5.

The Wi-Fi in iAuto mode only is a con for me... if you could operate it in manual mode like the EM1 then I could see myself using it, as it is it takes it from being a really useful tool to being a novelty.

Same as limiting the time-lapse to 99 frames... I mean the EP5 is supposed to be the top pen, the best they have to offer, and they add in artificial limitations... come one Oly, the EP5 deserves better, firmware upgrade please!!!!

They say they tested several cameras and still found it, but then again there's an awful lot of EP5 owners saying they've never seen the issue and other people saying they seen it on other Oly cameras... seems like it's not clear cut one way or the other.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Regarding the shutter shock issue..... it can affect most any mirrorless camera depending on lens used, technique, and shutter speed. If it affects you with your camera with specific lenses, then you need to learn what lenses and avoid certain shutter speeds (and/or turn off the IS) or use a 1/8 shutter delay (not an ideal solution for every situation).

Nic, I think your reasoning is sound.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

I thought you were short odds to pick up the EM1 Nic.....don't you have few 4/3 lenses on a shelf somewhere ?

Looks as though you've got the pros and cons right, the only thing now is to mentally go through that list and weight/rank those items and how they stack up against your EM5 and the cost of the new gear....thats how I did it anyway, fwiw I concluded that despite being keen on a few of the new features I wasn't prepared to shell out the extra $800 or so for them. For myself the most genuinely useful features would be the new faster max shutter speed, small AF box and better buttons(my only real gripe with the EM5)....those 3 are really the only 3 that would practically effect my everyday shooting.

What also effected my decision was the RX1 has reminded me just how much i dislike detachable EVFs.....to get the RX1 it was in my case a necessary evil, but ultimately meant that the EP5 was for me never going to happen. I do realise that we shoot quite differently....I shoot 90% via the EVF and you shoot a hell of a lot more from the rear screen so what's important for me may not be important for you. I think the cameras are so close in so many ways (and virtually indistinguishable in sensor performance) that it may just come down to the whole inbuilt/detachable EVF and LCD thing.

Funny thing is, Panasonic has done me a MASSIVE favour with the GX7, no I'm not buying it, but building it with an inbuilt EVF, and having it appears some success with sales numbers, will I hope all but force Olympus' hand and we will see the next PEN with an inbuilt EVF...now THAT is a camera I would buy....besides, I think it's a really good thing to SKIP a generation anyways and possibly catch some newer sensor tech.

• Like Like x 2
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Like Joe, I'm also waiting for a PEN that has built-in EVF. It might never happen, but that's the form factor I want and I will wait it out.

E-P5 as it stand as the flagship PEN right now isn't offering enough features for me I compare it to the E-M5, form factor set aside.

What I don't really care for, as demonstrated by the GX7, is the tilting EVF... I'm pro built-in EVF, but I don't care for it to tilt up. Just having it is enough for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Thanks for the summary, Nic. I'm thinking of an upgrade from my E-PL3, and was set on OM-D -- everything I need is there. But I realized I can ditch the EVF because I don't use it as much as I thought I would. (Yes, even I surprise myself.) I can use the 1/8000 though. So I'll just wait for the price decrease. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Each to their own Nic, but if I was preparing to spend $1000 ish on a camera, it would have to be the E-M1 - the E-P5 lacks so much in comparison:

- PDAF for CAF and 4/3 lenses
    - Built in EVF (= flash and EVF at same time)
    - Usable WiFi
    - Really nice form factor
    - Weather proofing

YMMV as our American cousins might say!

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Biggest cons for me are the EVF on the E-P5 sticks out like a sore thumb (bulky, not robust) and the fact that with the EVF, the E-P5 costs about $400 more than the E-M5. If you don't use the EVF most of the time, I guess those are moot points though.

My suspicion is that the E-P5 is going to see some major price cuts before the holidays. All indications are that it's not selling well, and the availability of the GX7 and E-M1 is only going to make it a harder sell.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Colorbright

Colorbright Mu-43 Regular

Good point about the sensor tech. I do think about it when making new purchases, but it is always good to be reminded about it. Thanks!

12. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    One thing to keep in mind is resale value. The E-M1 is likely going to have top resale value just like the former Olympus flagship camera, the E-5 did. The resale value of the E-P5 is likely going to be rather low, just like as was the case with the E-P3. The resale value of the E-M5 appears to be midway between these two extremes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    Exactly my findings today when I handled them all (EPL5,EP5,OMD-EM5,GX7). The only one that felt nice in my hands was the OMD-EM5. And with the grip attached, even better.
    The rest of them felt worse than my EPM1 (with additional grip).

• Like Like x 1
  14. timg

timg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2012
    The silver lining for the EP5 grip is the fact that you could solve this yourself with a little DIY work... not that I'd know where to start! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    Is it exchangable on EP5?

• Like Like x 1
  16. timg

timg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2012
    Nope, apparently it now contains the WiFi antenna so it's not changeable as it is on the EP3/EPL5...

• Like Like x 1
  17. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I got the E-P5 as soon as it was released.

FWIW, I'll echo some other comments:

- I like the camera, and enjoy the control that the customizable buttons and dials gives you. I've got it set up so it's pretty intuitive for me.

- I haven't noticed any particular stabilization problems; but then I haven't analyzed my shots to see if certain shutter speeds yield less keepers, so I may simply not have noticed.

- The grip is indeed pretty pathetic. It doesn't matter much with smaller lenses, but with my 1 lb. Voigtlander 17.5mm, it's a bit of a drag. :^/

I'm glad for the excellent VF-4 in bright sun; but in other conditions it's not worth the extra bulk attached (for me).

- Amongst all cameras available with the IQ, controls, and lens selection that I want, it's surely the most compact -- which is exactly what I was after. (The QX7 wasn't available when I ordered the E-P5, and I couldn't say if I'd have been just as happy with the former; possibly.)

Good luck with your decision!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    DPreview listened and updated the shutter shock issue:)

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3556524
    "In short, using 1/8 sec anti-shock seems to reduce image blurring"

• Like Like x 2
  19. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    BC/WA
    I was on the market for GX7 or E-M5, but ordered the subj. Waiting for it.

For me personally I dont need viewfinder, I used to shoot with micro and LCD screen with no issues.

But from other perspective I dont need wifi and build in flash, so I'd prefer E-PM2, if that would have normal dial ring for travel.
    For heavier lenses such as 35-100 and 75mm I think the E-P5 would be better balanced body...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks for the responses so far. I'll try to respond to some of the points raised.

Hi, John. I recently read that review with some interest. What strikes me as odd is why have they made such an issue of it now rather than previous generations. Is the E-P5 a different case? Is the new 1/8000 shutter heavier than the old? I don't know. What I do know is that in 3.5 years and having tried 7 Micro 4/3 bodies I can't say that the term "shutter shock" has become a key part of my vocabulary, and I'm saying that as someone who chimps and zooms after almost every shot and evaluates every image I process at 100%.

Thanks, Bhup. Did you end up buying one for yourself as well? I remember you saying recently you were considering it.

I'd hate to have to resort to using the anti-shock shutter delay since responsiveness is one of the key benefits of Micro 4/3.