Olympus E-P5 or E-M5 or GX7

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Dave in Wales, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    After clearing out ALL my M4/3 gear I feel the need to get bacxk into it....Yes I know, fickle aint I.

I've had the E-M5 and loved it, it's available with a free grip here in the UK untill the end of September.

Advice please....Oly E-P5 or E-M5 (free grip) or wait for the Panny GX7.

EDIT...I only shoot JPEGs.
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    How much do Oly JPEGs, 5-way IBIS and weather sealing mean to you? If those weigh heavily the E-M5 becomes an easier choice. If you hate the Oly UI, the GX7 is obvious. If you really value the versatility of removing the EVF and having no top or back bump then the E-P5 could win out.

I'm sure we could add on and on to that list Dave, but I'm guessing you have a pretty good idea yourself, as you are not a first-timer here. :) But tell us what differences matter the most to how you shoot, and we'll be able to give you some easy advice.
  3. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I've had the E-M5 and loved all of it's features didn't find myself using the EVF much as i wear sunglasses all the time, and it was annoying because the EVF hump keeps poking me afraid that the rubber eye cup will fall off (Never did).

The whole time I had the E-M5 I wished all of it's features would fit into my sleeker E-P3. With the E-P5, I got all I wanted and some. 1/8000 shutter and most importantly 5-axis that's what keeps me with Olympus. It's amazing!

The EVF can be installed for the RARE occasions when I need it. So if size is important to you I think the E-P5 may be the slimmest of the 3.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I also am a jpg shooter so Oly seems the best choice. Which one? depends on your shooting style. Always use EVF? EM5 is the obvious choice. Don't always need an EVF? EP5 seems the choice, then you must value all the other features: 1/8000 etc.
    I was leaning towards the EP5/GX7 (if the jpg engine is good), but decided to wait for the M1 for using 4/3 lens. When its available I'll make my choice.
    GX7: if it has good jpg engine then it may be worth a look.
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    e-P5 gives you back the 100-ish-ISO Jpegs and has a faster max shutterspeed,
    get a viewfinder ontop, Bingo. Jpeg heaven.
    It's way too pricey for me right now but I'd have one in a jiffy for those two reasons alone.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Small threadjack here. I'm kind of in the same spot and looking at the same cameras...but I only shoot raw. How does that change the picture?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app
  7. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    why not an e-pl5? same sensor as e-m5 but soo much cheaper... i bought one yesterday and i'm lovin' it!! :biggrin:
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not knowing what you shoot, it would be hard to determine which camera is best for you. If you shoot wide open with fast glass all the time, get either the E-P5 or GX7. If you don't need the fast max 1/8000th ss, save money and get the E-M5. If you're predominantly a street shooter and don't need full 5-axis IBIS, get the GX7. If you don't like using an EVF, get the E-P5. Hope that helps!
  9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011

GX-7 is video is a key feature for you then really the only option. Otherwise, EM-5 or EM-1 a better overall option in my opinion.

EP-5 if you dont' use an EVF often or if you need 1/8000 (if you shoot fast glass wide open mid day).

EM-5 if want an EVF built in and 5-axis stablization

EM-1 if you want to be able to legacy 43rds glass and have fast focus, if you what continous autofocus that might track subjects better then currently available due to the Dual AF in the EM-1
  10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Firstly, you'll have to decide for yourself if a built-in EVF is is important to you. If it is, the E-P5 is automatically ruled out.

Between the E-M5 and GX7, the Olympus offers weather resistance and the five-axis IBIS. But the GX7 offers a higher-resolution and tiltable viewfinder, and a tiltable rear LCD. Also, The GX7 now offers IBIS for unstabilized lenses as well as the lens-based stabilization in most (but not all) Panasonic lenses.

Me? While I have and love an E-PM2 and have a soft spot in my heart for Oly, I think Panasonic's ergonomics are superior. I'd go with the GX7.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I don`t like how the GX7 incorporated the EVF how how the eyecup sticks out and since weather sealing doesn`t seem to be a key feature for you I`d go EP-5 unless you care about having great video specs. For me, the 5-axis is way more important than video specs. Dont underestimate the value of the 5axis system vs. Panasonics poor 2axis attempt.

So at the end of the day:

If IBIS is key: Olympus
    If absolute IQ: Olympus
    If Video: Panasonic
  12. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Based on a recent review...

Here is a link to a new recent review of the GX-7: Panasonic GX7 review: Noise and dynamic range | Digital slrs/hybrids Reviews | TechRadar
    If you are a RAW shooter, the E-P5 has a pretty good DR advantage as you move up the ISO ladder. The GX7 and the E-P5 are pretty much equal at base ISO but, as you move up in ISO by the time you reach just 1600, the E-P5 has a 1.5 stop advantage in DR. The GX7 just can't keep up. This may not be important to some but, if you shoot enough in low light contrasty settings, it will mean a lot in tone response and in color saturation.

The TechRadar report is just one but, when the DXO sensor rating for the GX7 comes out we will get a better idea of the differences assuming DXO gives a DR result across a range of ISO values.
  13. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Dan, I did look at the TechRadar review and agree that if their testing methodology is accurate, the Olympus looks like the better camera. However I have a hard time believing that it is better in jpeg but can't keep up in raw. I will keep my preorder in and when it ships compare it to my e-pl5. Nice thing about buying from B&H is that you can return with full refund if you are under (I think) 200 shots. So I will have an opertunity to test it out. Unfortunately it will have to be the supplied silkypix to convert with as I'm sure neither lightroom or DXO will have an update for gx7 soon.
  14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011

BTW, Techrader's test methodology is totally meaningless as far as comparing raw outputs. Anyone with the least bit of understanding of the scientific method knows that you can't draw conclusions when you change multiple variables at once, which is exactly what they do.

Different sensors, different raw processors with very different default processing algorithms. Is the difference in the results from the sensor, the raw processor, or the default settings for each camera? I don't know, and neither does TechRadar.

Finally, I just love the posts from the Oly fans who claim the IQ of the Oly's is far superior to the GX-7 even though they've yet to see any valid, controlled tests from the Panasonic, or taken any shots with it themselves. Just a wee bit biased, boys and girls?
  15. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    DR differences...

The E-P5 has better scores for DR in both RAW and jpeg. In fact in jpeg, the E-P5 does significantly better than the GX7 in the Tech Radar testing. Please keep in mind that it is just the one test and more reviews will give us a better idea of whether or not the GX7 truly is still lagging behind the E-P5 in the DR area.

16. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    A little time and a lot of data will fill in the blanks.

I had not seen a post from an Oly fan claiming that certain Olys are far superior to the GX-7. I agree with you in that there has not been enough time yet to make any fair minded assertions. A few months of time will help settle out the differences.

Can you post the links to the threads where the Oly fans made their statements of being far superior?
  17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The best advice you will receive is something like:

Go to the store, try all three cameras, buy the one YOU like the best.

PS: IQ, is pretty much the same on all of them. The rest of the bells and whistles depends on what YOU want. free grip, or wifi, or tilt evf and wifi, you decide.
  18. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Yeah...that's good advise. That's why I plan on trying the gx7 against my e-pl5. As long as the quality is the same (or hopefully better) I will keep it as that camera gas the features I like. If I don't like the quality I can return for an ep5...so basically a win win.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app
  19. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    The problem with that advice is that I have never seen any of the three in any store. Not even the EM5 that has been out quite a while. If I waited to by a u4/3 camera until I tried it in a store, my only choice would be the E-PM1 which I saw in Sam's.
  20. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Buy the E-M5 again and save yourself some money.
    I'm not sure about the price dropping for the E-P5, but the GX7 will certainly drop in price in the next 6 months (like the GX1 did).