Olympus E-P5 Firmware Update Available - Addresses Shutter Shock

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
A 0 second setting has been added to Anti-Shock mode.<br />
Shooting images when using the remote control function of the smart phone application "OLYMPUS Image Share" now supports Art Filter, custom self timer, zoom operation when using the electric zoom, Digital Tele-converter, and Release mode.<br />
* It is necessary to update to the latest version of OLYMPUS Image Share.<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/" target="_blank">http://www.olympus.co.jp</a>

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
Downloaded and installed, confirmed.

The setting is available via...

Menu > Custom Menu > Exp / ISO > Anti-Shock

Go from "Off" down to the 1/8s setting (or whatever it is by default). Press RIGHT, toggle down to "0sec" and hit OK. Hit OK a second time*.

*That second OK button press confused me, make sure that after you've set the 0sec setting that it shows on the main E. Exp / ISO screen.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It looks like they have been generous with the extra IOShare functions for the Stylus 1 as well (it already had the zoom control).

[ STYLUS 1 ]
Ver.1.1
(May. 14 2014) - Shooting images when using the remote control function of the smart phone application "OLYMPUS Image Share" now supports Art Filter, custom self timer, Digital Tele-converter, and Release mode.
* It is necessary to update to the latest version of OLYMPUS Image Share.

iansmith

Mu-43 Regular
Figured I'd post this here too. Just updated and did some tests.

I took some pictures of Mars with various settings and am very happy with the results.

This was done on a heavy, very stable telescope tripod. I don't think you can get a much more solid mount, this thing was designed for 40 pound scopes. The E-P5 weighs less than the mounting brackets. This is the absolute BEST CASE for testing shock. The only more secure mount would be bolting it to bedrock.

All shots were done on a timer so nothing was touching the camera. ISO 200, 1/200 shutter speed, Olympus 75-300mm zoom lens at 300mm.

You will want to click on the image to get rid of the scaling DP does to embedded images.

The pictures are a series of 5 shots combined at each setting, 100% crops and then blown up 200% to make for easier viewing.

With just a 2 second delay between shots, the shutter clearly is bluring.

The anti-shock helps, but still has visible motion.

The new 0-second anti shock is clearly the best. At this point atmospheric distortions are causing enough blue to hide any tiny shake that might be left.

Happy E-P5 owner here.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Reesebass

Mu-43 Regular
WOW LOL! I just put my E-P5 on sale yesterday because i couldn't wait for the shutter shock fix and was afraid it will never come. I will gladly take down my ads and keep the E-P5. Hopefully it will get rid of the dreaded SS for eternity.
Not cheering yet though, maybe i have a faulty sensor mechanism. Can't wait to do some tests!

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Unfortunately, my busy schedule makes it so I'll have to wait until late this evening to do the update, but I love your test results.

Figured I'd post this here too. Just updated and did some tests.

I took some pictures of Mars with various settings and am very happy with the results.

This was done on a heavy, very stable telescope tripod. I don't think you can get a much more solid mount, this thing was designed for 40 pound scopes. The E-P5 weighs less than the mounting brackets. This is the absolute BEST CASE for testing shock. The only more secure mount would be bolting it to bedrock.

All shots were done on a timer so nothing was touching the camera. ISO 200, 1/200 shutter speed, Olympus 75-300mm zoom lens at 300mm.

You will want to click on the image to get rid of the scaling DP does to embedded images.

The pictures are a series of 5 shots combined at each setting, 100% crops and then blown up 200% to make for easier viewing.

With just a 2 second delay between shots, the shutter clearly is bluring.

The anti-shock helps, but still has visible motion.

The new 0-second anti shock is clearly the best. At this point atmospheric distortions are causing enough blue to hide any tiny shake that might be left.

Happy E-P5 owner here.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
I did the update first thing this morning. Then I realized I probably should have checked the forum for "OMG, don't do the update" warning from Australians with bricked E-P5s. Sometimes you have to live on the edge.

Ellsass

Mu-43 Regular
Forgive my ignorance, but what does 0-second antishock mean? I know what 1/8” antishock means, but 0” sounds like it would just be turned off.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
It's a funny name for the new feature. Below Tv of 1/320, the E-P5 will use the electronic shutter for the first "curtain", effectively eliminating the major source of shutter shock.

YZYgold

Mu-43 Regular
I did the update first thing this morning. Then I realized I probably should have checked the forum for "OMG, don't do the update" warning from Australians with bricked E-P5s. Sometimes you have to live on the edge.
whats this about? i have not seen this. So for Australian models we carn't update?