1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-P5 Firmware Update Available - Addresses Shutter Shock

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MajorMagee, May 14, 2014.

1. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    A 0 second setting has been added to Anti-Shock mode.<br />
    Shooting images when using the remote control function of the smart phone application "OLYMPUS Image Share" now supports Art Filter, custom self timer, zoom operation when using the electric zoom, Digital Tele-converter, and Release mode.<br />
    * It is necessary to update to the latest version of OLYMPUS Image Share.<br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/" target="_blank">http://www.olympus.co.jp</a>

• Like Like x 9
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Downloaded and installed, confirmed.

The setting is available via...

Menu > Custom Menu > Exp / ISO > Anti-Shock

Go from "Off" down to the 1/8s setting (or whatever it is by default). Press RIGHT, toggle down to "0sec" and hit OK. Hit OK a second time*.

*That second OK button press confused me, make sure that after you've set the 0sec setting that it shows on the main E. Exp / ISO screen.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It looks like they have been generous with the extra IOShare functions for the Stylus 1 as well (it already had the zoom control).

4. iansmith

iansmith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Figured I'd post this here too. Just updated and did some tests.

I took some pictures of Mars with various settings and am very happy with the results.

This was done on a heavy, very stable telescope tripod. I don't think you can get a much more solid mount, this thing was designed for 40 pound scopes. The E-P5 weighs less than the mounting brackets. This is the absolute BEST CASE for testing shock. The only more secure mount would be bolting it to bedrock.

All shots were done on a timer so nothing was touching the camera. ISO 200, 1/200 shutter speed, Olympus 75-300mm zoom lens at 300mm.

You will want to click on the image to get rid of the scaling DP does to embedded images.

The pictures are a series of 5 shots combined at each setting, 100% crops and then blown up 200% to make for easier viewing.

With just a 2 second delay between shots, the shutter clearly is bluring.

The anti-shock helps, but still has visible motion.

The new 0-second anti shock is clearly the best. At this point atmospheric distortions are causing enough blue to hide any tiny shake that might be left.

Happy E-P5 owner here.

TzngtS4.

• Like Like x 13
  5. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    WOW LOL! I just put my E-P5 on sale yesterday because i couldn't wait for the shutter shock fix and was afraid it will never come. I will gladly take down my ads and keep the E-P5. Hopefully it will get rid of the dreaded SS for eternity.
    Not cheering yet though, maybe i have a faulty sensor mechanism. Can't wait to do some tests!

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Unfortunately, my busy schedule makes it so I'll have to wait until late this evening to do the update, but I love your test results.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I did the update first thing this morning. Then I realized I probably should have checked the forum for "OMG, don't do the update" warning from Australians with bricked E-P5s. Sometimes you have to live on the edge.

8. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Forgive my ignorance, but what does 0-second antishock mean? I know what 1/8” antishock means, but 0” sounds like it would just be turned off.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's a funny name for the new feature. Below Tv of 1/320, the E-P5 will use the electronic shutter for the first "curtain", effectively eliminating the major source of shutter shock.

10. Ross the fiddler

"Tv"? That sounds too much like Canikon! :tongue: :biggrin:

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Even worse.... Pentax! :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  12. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Great news! I'll have to try this when my E-P5 comes back from repair.

13. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Does the PL5 have this issue?

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    What! Has anyone here had any issues?

15. Ross the fiddler

After you use it with & without you will notice the difference. It is possible to see the difference on the E-M1 in the slow shutter speed range & relevant conditions.

16. YZYgold

YZYgold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    Australia
    whats this about? i have not seen this. So for Australian models we carn't update?

17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It's a joke, nothing to worry about :)

On subject - yes, I can see clear difference between 0-AS and no AS (IS-off in both cases)

• Like Like x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I used Pentax for over 40 years. :smile:

19. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Can't wait to go home and update my E-P5!!

20. garryf

garryf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    I just updated my cam and set it to shutter priority 160s and pointed it out a windows

first two pics are with 0s anti shock, second two are normal single shot.

Photos

Looks like I might start using my EP5 over my GM1 now :)

• Like Like x 3