1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-P3 with 12-60SWD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Boyzo, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Here is an AF demo (JApanese) on U Tube
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR6dP7fQXRI&feature=related]YouTube - ‪EP-3 + MMF-1 + ZD12-60[/ame]
    AF MUCH improved with the lens
    mmm Did I say the E-P3 was not as Pretty as the E-P2 .... yes I did
    Now I'm rethinking I several 43 lenses Zuiko and PL this body may be what I was waiting for (Is there still the so called Pro model coming)
    Right now the E-P3 is here :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
  2. I wonder then, about some of the other Four Thirds lenses...

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't have any 43 lenses, but this would be sooooo unbelievably HUGE for Oly if they work with fast AF. It couldn't be overstated. It could help preserve some E system sales, it could help sell off some of their lagging lenses (because of the lack of interest in the E system), it would support a 3rd party used market for their lenses (thus protecting initial retail sales value), and it would create an "aura" effect of high end lenses. I hope this is true!

But, would it be right in assuming this would be the SWD lenses, which is of course a more limited set?

4. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    For what I hear....If the SWD lenses have faster AF then surely other non SWD lenses be more or as fast as 12-60 SWD on Pen 3 series...most 4/3 lenses could not AF as fast as mZD due to the PDAF or because the tiny bat of Pen could not powering AF motor as quick as E system. But I have to test it by my self before I confirmed it.

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I have a hunch the "improved" speed will be available to SWD 4/3 lenses only due to the more powerful motors. I doubt we'll be seeing speed improvements in non-SWD lenses, such as my ZD 50mm f/2 (which due to the molasses AF, I have switched to using MF 100%)

One can hope though :smile:

6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I just don't see the point of buying a Pen then putting HG or SHG lenses on it. Talk about defeating the point of the miniaturization exercise..... why not just put them on something more suited to them like an E-5, or one of the E-xxx bodies?

7. Rallyroo

Rallyroo Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Actually, they're speaking Cantonese. So I'll wager and guess they're in Hong Kong.

8. The E-5 is expensive, and I don't find the image output of the E-4xx and E-5xx four thirds DSLRs as good as the Pens, and I believe the E-6xx went even heavier again on the AA filter. Being able to use four thirds lenses without crippling slow AF would also make the existing AF lens line-up for micro four thirds a lot more complete even if you do lose the size advantage of the native lenses.

This is useful more for those who already own a set of four thirds lenses, or for those who don't want to wait for more micro four thirds lenses to become available.

9. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Actually, the E-620 AA filter is a bit gentler than those in the E-4xx and E-5xx series. Still not as gentle as that in the E-5 or the E-PL2, however.

As for the rest of what you said... Right On!

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Actually, the E620 had one of the strongest AA filters along with the E30. The E520/420/3 were average. The E410/510/5 had/have the weakest AA filters. Not sure about anything before that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The AF speed was definitely faster than the 12-60 + GH2 combo. But yeah, the big ol' lens dwarfs the body. Looks odd. If Pany can turn that motorized pancake zoom into a fast motorized pancake zoom ... that would awesome!!!

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    In my humble opinion, the main attraction of using a HG or SHG lens on a PEN is that there is currently no fast zoom lens available in M4/3 format (fast in terms of aperture)...

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Let's not forget the optics are second to none.:smile:

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is also my thought, Hiep. What prevents pre-MSC lenses from gaining much in speed is the inability of the lens to keep up with the fast dual-processor of the body. The SWD focus motor is very fast, and is probably keeping up better with the 120x per second focus checks.

This is good hope for the Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, which is the best, most reasonably sized super-tele for my PEN system. ;)