1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-P3 Press Release Leaked?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Some interesting new info:

1. Flash looks so much like EPL2, that I can't believe it's not 'bounceable'.
    2. It appears to say that the new lens are are 'metal tube' - wonder if that means metallic color (only) as well?
    3. 3! customizable function buttons!
    4. FAST focussing: claims to be faster than ANY interchangeable lens camera, ie any DSLR.
    5. No mention of IR technology: fast focussing is attributed to processor.
    6. Specific reference to 'over 500 lenses' with adapter - this means Oly is no longer ignoring the potential for use with legacy lenses - rather they are marketing it!

I'm very excited!

3. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    SOLD me on it. Now here is to hoping the high ISO performance lives up to the rest of the specs of the camera. Even then... still a worthy upgrade to the EP2. Hopefully some pics taken from an EP3 make there way to the online forums soon.

As for bounceable flash, is it even strong enough to worry about it? I'll just be putting on a Gary Fong puffer anyway ;-)

4. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice camera. They are really emphasizing the fast AF, and speed in general. This was a criticism of the EP1 and 2 (overstated in my view) and perhaps they want to change the perception. That's good, but I have doubts about that as a key selling point - although it is easier to create TV and video advertising around speed than it is IQ. It's nice to have a feature you can call " World's biggest / fastest / smoothest etc". Makes for solid headlines.

The sensor may well perform significantly better in IQ terms, but that can be a harder sell to the 'masses'.

If they did not have the speed thing, and the 'in' thing of touch, what would this camera have over the EP2 that Olympus could market as an advantage over the competition?

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I see a new kit lens.

"M. ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R (equivalent to 28-84mm)"

Looks like its is still collapsable. Rumors might be true about some of the IR business, even though no mention. I love the fact they put an exchangable grip. Can't wait to see what those look like.

6. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    12800 iso.
    Onboard flash.
    Better battery life with the BLS-5.
    More programmable functions.
    High Resolution Screen (touch screen aside).
    And of course.. faster focus.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    My next camera! In silver, please. But waiting till August? I guess I'll have to be patient. I hope the mZD45/1.8 is released sooner than that. I'd really like that lens through the summer! I still bet both beat my pre ordered PL25 :)

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Dammit, not again! No wonder I can never get ahead... how am I going to afford this new extra expense now? *sigh*

I had to laugh at this comment:
    "Even professionals will now be satisfied, because the Guide Live Guide is now available in P, S, M and A and if need be to reach it. Unlike some competitors PEN Guide Live Guide is available for both movies and photos."

No, I doubt professionals will like or use the Live Guide, lol. What professionals were happy about was the return of the Super Control Panel, so they could ditch both Live Guide AND Live Control Menu! :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It says two different handles. One we've seen, which looks like the E-P1 grip. The other could possibly look like the E-PL2 grip, or maybe something larger?

10. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    re: bounce flash - probably shouldn't have put that first! Not that big a deal.

re: market advantage vs E-P2 - I agree, natural marketing emphasis is 'best in class' aspects. What I find amazing is that Oly appears to be throwing down the gauntlet to Nikanon: we can beat not just entry level DSLRs, but ALL DSLRs. This is a very bold statement. (Though the translation has an *, indicating a footnote that didn't get copied!)

Regardless, the E-P3 (subject to confirmed real increase in IQ) ticks all my boxes for an upgrade.

11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    All good stuff, especially if you are knowledgable, and certainly this makes the camera 'better' than the EP2. They have certainly answered criticisms of the EP2 (flash, speed) and seem to be about to launch the camera the EP1 / 2 should have been.

But the world has moved on since the EP1, and the competition is much deeper and broader. I hope Olympus do well with this and the other two. I am just not so sure they are compelling against the others...

We shall see.

I am betting that the sensor shows significant improvements.

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Of more interest to me was the following:

"Particularly noteworthy are two new clear lenses. Wide-angle lens ZUIKO DIGITAL 12mm M 1:2.0 (24mm equivalent) (also known as “Master of street photography” – ‘Street Photography’) is ideal for capturing large themes such as landscapes, especially in low light. Its contrast and complement both the portrait M. ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm 1:1.8 (90mm equivalent) to facilitate getting softly blurred backgrounds, a significant aspect of portrait photography. "

45/1.8!!! Woohoo!!

13. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Awesome.

:drool: (yeah, I know there's no emoticon for this yet :nudge: Amin ?)

Cheers,

14. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    "Regardless, the E-P3 (subject to confirmed real increase in IQ) ticks all my boxes for an upgrade."

And that's what counts.

I can't wait to handle one and see if they have changed some of the things that prompted me to sell my EP2 and keep the GF1 instead.

15. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    I prefer the silver also. It also says this about availability. :smile:

The camera body PEN E-P3 is available in classic shades of black, white and silver, and is slated to be available in mid-June 2011. The camera will also be available in kits with different lenses.

16. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    It does appear that with the Fugi X100, PENs, GF series and NEX and soonish Leica. It may just signal a major shift back away from entry level dSLR... as long as clean images can be had in bright light as well as dim conditions with full manual controls. I personally don't really see why most would want to carry around those huge bodies when you can get 95% of the performanec in a much smaller format and not standout in a crowd or around town. It seems like the m43 is finally coming of age.

Sure if you're anything more then a photography enthusiast .. you'd probably want one anywa in your bag and get a USED Canon 5d etc as your SLR.

I don't know very many people who'd be buying this level of camera that are printing bigger then 11x14 so the 12mp is perfect.

17. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Good catch - I look forward to seeing the performance / price of this lens.

I read somewhere that the EVF has been changed too. I wonder how? More compact? Even better performance (which would be something 'cause the current one is so good)? Maybe just a better price, which would be good too.

It's great for the MFT platform to have Olympus doing a major launch of cameras and lenses.

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I didn't even catch that. Well, I'm going to order it on Amazon now!

I wonder if that was the original, intended release date, perhaps before the supply chain issues cameras have had.

19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks. Let's hope that this "press release" is the REAL thing!

It says launch in mid-June 2011. It's almost July already.

As far as form factor is concerned, the EP3 looks exactly like an EP2, with one additional Fn button on top and the pop-up flash. A nicer high resolution LCD will be nice though.

20. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Just to nitpick, but that button existed as an exposure shift control (+/-) but wasn't programmable, and mostly useless. Good riddance, welcome Fn2 !

Cheers,