Olympus E-P3 Image Thread

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
It seems this camera was just completely overlooked during its day, there's no image thread! I love this camera, after I replaced mine with the E-P5 I felt compelled to go back and get another.

PEP31952.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PEP31938.JPG

Last edited:

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
more:
PEP30036.JPG

PEP30012.JPG

PEP30040.JPG

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
It's a very, very old thread - but I feel compelled to revive it, having recently purchased a minimally-used and quite beautiful E-P3. Compared to modern cameras, it may not be the quickest....but speed isn't everything.
This was taken in a small town in Oregon...where Halloween is coming at the end of the month ;)

EP3_Oct2_ZombieHalloweenBride(KodachrMem).jpg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
It's a very, very old thread - but I feel compelled to revive it, having recently purchased a minimally-used and quite beautiful E-P3. Compared to modern cameras, it may not be the quickest....but speed isn't everything.
This was taken in a small town in Oregon...where Halloween is coming at the end of the month ;)

View attachment 850509
Glad to see you've still got some trees left over there Miguel, after all those dreadful wildfires.
Hope you weren't affected.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
It seems this camera was just completely overlooked during its day, there's no image thread! I love this camera, after I replaced mine with the E-P5 I felt compelled to go back and get another.

I don’t think it was overlooked - my memory of the E-P3 was of it being very popular here and certainly popular with me - I loved them and often hesitate when I see a mint one on eBay for sale - especially if it’s a silver metal finish example - but I usually resist :rolleyes-38:
I still have an optional grip in my collection and have resisted getting rid of it ‘just in case‘ i get another example as I imagine they are very hard to find nowadays - the MCG-2 makes a big difference to the ergonomics giving you a much more comfortable grip especially as it is rubberised rather than hard plastic :thumbup:

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Another E-P3 image - this one taken with Olympus's diminutive 9mm fisheye 'body cap' lens which, in spite of its low price and all-plastic construction, is still capable of nice images from time to time---

EP3_Oct8_Chair+Pyracantha.jpg

Processed with the Nik Silver Efex plug-in, in LR6 (Lightroom 6.14)
NOTE: for some mysterious reason, the mu-43 website is listing the aperture at f/1.0 which is an error since the lens has a fixed f/8 aperture.

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
At ISO 1600, taking available light snapshots at close to the maximum aperture of an inexpensive (the Pergear 25mm) manual focus lens, the E-P3 still has the ability to produce worthy shots. This was taken in my writing studio, where a portrait of my grandfather, who had been a politician in Bolivia, sits on a bookshelf.

EP3_Oct21_Retrato_del_Abuelo(VSCO).jpg

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
The E-P3 is a classic. I was lucky to get one a few months ago in mint condition. There was always something special about the jpegs out the E-P3. These were taken in 2013...

_4013863.jpg

_4110119.jpg

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I still have my EP-3, it became my backup when I bought a new Lumix G85 this year. Here's some older photos:
Fall2015-2672.jpg
Fall2015-2698.jpg
75953_10202695540619944_1315907276_n.jpg

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
A self-portrait, taken in very limited available lighting. With a surprisingly inexpensive manual focus lens, the Pergear 25mm 1.8.

EP3_Oct24_Autorretrato_medianoche.jpg

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
One more from the E-P3 - which I must say become significantly more enjoyable to shoot with after I acquired a VF-2 viewfinder---

EP3_Oct25_Straw_hat.jpg

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Taken with the 17mm pancake Zuiko (Olympus) lens mounted on my E-P3, a nice combination--

EP3_Nov1_Dead_sunflower.jpg

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
You're getting some absolutely beautiful images from yours Miguel, well done! Mine has moved on to my daughter, who has really enjoyed it (although she's using her iPhone more these days). But there's something about the colors from the E-P3 that are just special. And, the design & materials are fantastic. Maybe she'll give hers back to me one day...

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
A few more from my E-P3.
This was taken inside a local (Ashland, Oregon - home of the OSF, Oregon Shakespeare Festival!) library--

EP3_Nov9_Born_to_Read.jpg

And this at local supermarket--

EP3_Nov11_Supermarket_dummy.jpg

And here, again, just outside of another local market (Trader Joe's, in Medford)--

EP3_Nov14_Turkey_Time.jpg

An early winter morning sunrise, in the Cascades mountains, near Klamath Falls, Oregon---

EP3_Nov28_Klamath_sunrise.jpg

And one final shot, taken again inside the same Ashland supermarket---

EP3_Dec28_Anthropomorphic_sock.jpg

All things considered, the E-P3 may have a relatively ancient sensor by today's standards... but damn, it makes nice images.

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
For those curious, here is my E-P3 - probably my least expensive (what it cost me) digital camera - but possibly also the one with the most elegant design---

OlympusE-P3#1(front).jpg

The fake wood grip was a factory option, actually.
Here's one more view, with the VF-2 accessory EVF mounted (one of the great all-time add-ons)---

VF-2#1.jpg

Mu-43 Legend
Those old 12MP sensors were fussy with DR and limited ISO, but I really liked their colors

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Those old 12MP sensors were fussy with DR and limited ISO, but I really liked their colors

Totally agree, WT21.

But some of the early Pens - the EP 1, 2 and 3 - as well as a few of the early contemporary Lumixes - specifically the GF1 and its spiritual successor, the GX1 - were beautifully designed compact cameras which, each in their own way, were - and still are! - capable of producing fantastic images.

With regards to colors, I have to confess that I occasionally tweak the final results in PP, where a combination of Lightroom, the old Nik suite, and some of the now discontinued VSCO presets - are almost like magic wands, when it comes to adjusting subtleties.

Barking

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jeff
Saw one advertised for£32, but it had a malfunction in the rear screen...got hooked and bought one from mpb....makes a great street photography toy... doesn't have an Electronic viewfinder (an option, but looks bulky and overly expensive)... enjoyed my first few shots with a 14-42 lens bolted on. ?
OI001125-01.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom