Olympus E-P3 - End of June Announcement and Rumored Specs

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 30, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Digicame-info.com previously cited a new source stating that June 3 would be the day that we learn about the new Olympus PEN models. Now the same site is stating that its sources are indicating a June 30th rather than June 3 announcement.

Source: Digicame-info.com via Google Translate

Meanwhile, 43 Rumors is citing "two trusted sources" that the Olympus E-P3 will be announced in a late June two-day event.

Rumor Grade for late June E-P3 announcement: A-

We received an email from a new source indicating the following details about the upcoming E-P3:
    • Late June announcement
    • Same 16MP sensor as Panasonic G3
    • Complete redesign and smaller than E-P2
    • No integrated viewfinder

Rumor Grade for the above specs: C

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MichaelMorales7

MichaelMorales7 New to Mu-43

May 14, 2011
    It is possible, soon we can find a M4/3 camera with fixed lens? Something like de Fuji X100, but compact and sheeper?¿

It would be really Great!!!
  3. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    A bit smaller and these cameras will fit inside the lens! Not sure about the rest of the world, but I feel the nex is too small :confused: .. but money talks louder than I. I'm thinking the G3 is on the low end of my preferences, we'll see when I can actually hold one.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I think it depends on what lenses you primarily use. To me, it could go smaller, but I mate my GF1 w/ a 20 95% of the time. I haven't held the GF2 yet, but I'm sure I'd like it.

HOWEVER, with that said, I, too, will likely settle on the G3 (or something like it by the time I need it) because I usually have my VF on it as well. Might as well be built in and sturdier than a separate connection... and still maintain my hotshoe. Oh, and to have space for more buttons ideally... heh.
  5. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Available when?

More rumours! Really, this is becoming a saga. I'm looking for a second camera to suplement my EP-2 when I go walkabout in the streets of Fuzhou in China. I have an old trusty Canon 30D which must be nearing it's demise. However the DSLR, which would be better for action etc, is bulky, and causes me to lose shots as potential subjects baulk when they see the Canon. The EP-2 hardly raises an eyebrow by comparison.
    Narrowing it down, for me it looks like a Panasonic G3 or A Fuji X100 or an EP-3, should the specs on the latter be favourable for my needs. However, I'm now loathe to hang on further to see what an EP-3 will be like. Really, I want the new camera for July and August.
    So, theres no chance of an EP-3 in July or August. Since I read that November might be when the EP-3 hits the shops. The Fuji X100 seems good for IQ. But, the fixed lens and cost for what is a compact, is extortionate in my opinion.
    The G3 ticked a lot of boxes. Then I read a report about the 16mp sensor, which seemed to indicate that the 16mp sensor is rated the same as the Oly 12mp sensor. To me this is a deal breaker. I want an improved sensor, not the equal. Rumour now has it that the EP-3 might have that 16mp Panasonic G3 sensor. Sheesh!!! Talk about being confused!
    So, whilst I would like a new Micro 4/3 NOW! It looks like this is a no go. So, I think I'll be treading the DSLR path now and add the Canon 60D to my list.

Dave T.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Dave, the G3 sensor is an improved sensor compared to the E-P2 sensor. At base ISO, they are similar. At all other ISOs, the G3 sensor is superior.
  7. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    All these rumors (E-P3, GF3) point to the same thing. These manufacturers are only concerned with producing small pocketable cameras for soccer moms and someone that is looking to upgrade from a p&s.

I'm confused by what Oly is doing though. Panasonic's lineup seems to be more organized. GF for p&s converts, G for someone looking for a more dSLR type and the GH for people that want higher quality video.

If the E-P3 rumors are true then I don't see too much of a difference from the PL2.

It's the "enthusiast" market (that would be us) that keeps hoping for a lower priced, interchangeable lens X100 type. Which I don't think we'll ever see. Unless Fuji puts one out.
  8. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Deal done!

Amin, in that sensor review you posted, both the 16mp and 12 mp had the same rating. Anyway, it's water under the bridge now because I just bought a Canon 60D. It will do some of the things my EP-2 cannot do, and do it with reduced noise, as i have already discovered.

I wont be deserting micro 4/3rds though. My Pen will still go everywhere with me except to bed and the shower. It's numero uno for me for my street work. Maybe this time next year I will be looking at an EP-3 once we have some relevant info.

I've 2 months holiday soon. Just wandering around China, mostly street photography. I'm covered now with lenses and cameras.......but, that 12mm Oly on the horizon? Who knows??
  9. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, if it has no built-in VF that will make things simpler for me: if I upgrade it will be to the G3, because the lack of a high-end built-in EVF is the only thing missing from my GF1. The articulating screen on the G3 is a bonus, while the reduction in direct manual controls is a sore point.

Still, I will wait and see. I also wonder what the Nex 7 will bring, though the lenses are a likely issue there.
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I hear you but wanted to clarify for others who are still trying to decide. Those overall DxOmark scores you're talking about are based on the sensor performance at base ISO. If you look at their test data, the G3 sensor clearly bests the E-P2 sensor at all other ISO values. It is clearly an improved sensor based on their results.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    If they build in an EVF, does this spell the demise of the accessory port, or will they continue with that? If so, I can see some mischievous blogger slapping a VF-2 on it and switching between them. "Three ways to view the image, beat that, Panasonic!" Best case scenario IMO would be if Olympus could license Fuji's hybrid viewfinder technology. Still holding out hope for some sort of phase-detect AF system, also licensed from Fuji, and support for AF assist lamps. Night-time photography is nigh impossible with my E-P2 thanks to lacking that functionality.
  12. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I'm with you: phase detection and the hybrid viewfinder in combination would be game changers. Add better noise control and I'm sold.

-Steve. iPad. Mu-43 App.
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    As much as I dismissed the X100 for having a fixed lens, the Lumix 20 is on the e-p1/2 most of the time. I could live with a fixed lens. However, I think Olympus has very different sales expectations for its cameras than Fuji had for the X100. Despite the buzz, how many have they actually sold, compared to the E-p1 for example? The mere possibility of changing the lens is important for sales.