1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-P2 Quick Start Part 2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian Mosley, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello everyone,

if we have a separate thread for each video, we can keep the discussion more organised.

You can find Part 1 here.

<param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/dEEd4X5dnko&hl=en_GB&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/dEEd4X5dnko&hl=en_GB&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Next part is here.

Please fire away with any questions below.

Cheers

Brian

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Am I correct that the little +- button up top is also a way to change the exposure...but I think it can only change it up or down by 3 stops.

I am finding my thumb easily hits this ring...and I think that might be what another member was referring to in another thread? I will need to train myself...but wait - perhaps that is in a later thumb training video!:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi BB,

yes, the +/- button next to the shutter release button - pressing that will highlight EV compensation, so that you can change it using the silver thumbwheel...

I tend to use the +/- button to cause all the side info to show briefly when in the MF assist info screen. I'll include that in a later video and come back here to link it in due course.

As for the lower dial - my normal grip has my thumb resting just to the left of the silver thumbwheel... so I don't have it anywhere near the lower dial unless I want to use it.

Thanks for the questions!

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  4. gusmur

gusmur Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi Brian,
    First off, thanks so much for these extremely helpful set up tutorials.
    Have you changed your preference for setting the AEL/AFL button? I remember your suggestion on UKPSG to set it to activate autofocus, setting mode 3, to use it as a prefocus to cut down on shutter lag time when the shutter button is pushed to make the exposure. Good setup for taking shots of moving kids!
    Thanks for your comments.
    Best,
    Angus

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Ahah! well spotted Angus - you're exactly right, I made a mistake... at 3:00 in the video above where I set MF AEL/AFL, I should have chosen mode 3

Special prize for being alert :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Interestingly, that's what I had mine set at. I must be a genius or perhaps that is the suggestion, as well, from Frank Gallaugher's Magic Lantern Guide* for the E-P1.:biggrin:

Brian, your videos are extremely helpful and I also find that using your suggestions - and being able to see how you actually access things (and replay them!) and use this Gallaugher book in conjunction with your tutorials to be a great combination for the unlearned.

Eventually, I will post some of my novice's observations/questions/preferences . As a beginner, for me anyway, I think certain settings can even be shutdown to make it easier not to get waylaid.

*Which I conveniently bought via the affiliate Amazon link https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=460:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. gusmur

gusmur Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks Brian...for the two thumbs!!
    Do you not also just use the mode three setting for S-AF and C-AF?
    I have my E-510 set up this way...it's quite handy and I'm practicing for when I finally get an EP-1.
    All the best,
    Angus

8. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    No, I tend to use S-AF for portraits - using face detection... so I'm quite happy to have CDAF triggered by the shutter release button.

Cheers Angus!

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  9. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Brian

really helping me to figure out how to use the EP-1

they should all be stickies

10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Bill,

the first one is a sticky... the rest are linked from the first in series.

I need to make an index in due course - these were put up as a sort of 'draft' idea... they've been so well received I will do more.

Cheers

Brian

11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Another great video Brian.

Quick question - I took the opportunity to mess with the EV settings in terms of a custom dial function as per the video but I'm still trying to get my head around how it actually works - is the EV compensation done optically (adjusts the shutter speed or aperture to allow in or reduce the light) or digitally (post image processing) ?

The only reason I ask is if it is likely to affect image quality compared to just manually (or letting the camera auto adjust) setting up the shot without any EV compensation. Or am I missing something in terms of a use-case (say you have f2.8 in low light and you crank up the EV to give a brighter picture) ?

12. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Actually I took your advice and did some experimenting - I just noticed that tweaking the EV values automatically adjusts the shutter speed or aperture to compensate (depending n which mode you're in).

So I guess it does it optically.

Presumably the EV trade off is either a darker 'faster' image or lighter 'slower' image.