1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-P2 Quick Start Part 1.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian Mosley, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello everyone,

thanks to BBW (somewhere in our many posts here!) for triggering this exercise... I hope that you will bear with my complete newbie skills in producing youtube videos!

I've started by producing a series of videos, showing how I configure the E-P2 (the E-P1 will be almost identical).

Unfortunately, the short HD videos take a very long time to upload to youtube - so it will take me a couple of days probably, to download the whole set.

Here's the first :

<param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/1sdfh9gPUew&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/1sdfh9gPUew&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Please let me know what you think, and any questions about the settings covered in this first installment.

I'll post each new video as soon as it's completed uploading to youtube.

Next part is here.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 10
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Brian, you've got the patience of a saint, thank you so much for taking this on.:bravo-009:

I have two questions regarding your choices in this intro which I understand had time constraints, and you'll be going into many things as our cyber lessons move on.

1. AF area set to multi focus and wanting face detect on. Am I correct that one might want the AF to be moved to "spot" focus if you're concerned about your depth of field and what you really want as the main focus? Or is this something one can easily change "on the fly" depending upon which mode of operation one is using? Such as Program, Aperture, etc.? Perhaps I am getting ahead of the tutorial and should just wait and read my "Magic Lantern" guide for now.

2. Reset Lens: on and off. I'm not clear why it would be preferable to leave it "off" unless one were out shooting subjects, landscapes for example, that are all basically at the same distance. Can you explain a bit more to me.

As simple as this first lesson is, I can see that by your taking the time to do this that you're going to be very helpful to the many neophytes who are visual learners.

3. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi BB,

well it's a start - I made a mess of the lighting, but hopefully you can make out the controls being pressed.

AF area set to multi-point focus...
    I use AF generally for scenes where I want face detection... as you'll see in later videos, I have the Fn button set to toggle between MF and AF, and the AEL/AFL button set to trigger an AF cycle.

In MF, when you use the AEL/AFL button to trigger an autofocus cycle it uses the centre patch... so for me - I have AF on the centre patch normally.

Reset Lens : OFF
    If you're street shooting, you can set your focus to a known distance and aperture to give you effectively a zone of focus... switch the camera off to save power, power up and you're ready to shoot!

Hope that makes sense - remember - if in doubt, ask :polling:

Cheers

Brian

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I keep AF on multi point as well. The only time I move to center spot is when doing macros with the kit lens or I need critical focus for a single object in the scene.

5. BBW

Are you using MF here to be manual focus?

Yes, I can see that the customizing of the Fn button among other things that I haven't even delved into yet are going to be what really make this camera work for me. Right now I'm still stumbling around using the subcommand dial. I'm thinking that in difficult lighting or high contrast lighting such as strong back lighting or light coming from a window that is very strong that using the centre patch or center point as one's means to meter. But I'm afraid my questions might be taking this 1st lesson off into other realms?

Definitely understand on the street shooting aspects of having the Reset Lens set to OFF option enabled.:thumbup:

6. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm currently uploading 9 parts to youtube... I'll leave it running over night and there will be lots to discuss tomorrow!

It's covered in a later video, but here's an instruction on how to separate AF from the shutter release button.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  7. BBW

I kiss your feet professor!:biggrin:

8. jfj2

jfj2 New to Mu-43

Brian, great start. Looking forward to vids to come. I have had my E-P2 only a week and am still in the "learn your equipment" stage. Thanks for the effort! - jfj2

• Like Like x 1
  9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    what you are doing is extraordinary , thanks for this effort

i own the ep1 and the gf 1 and would love to see this series expanded or some similar help vids for the panasonic by some sainted forum member

10. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Brian

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to produce these videos, saved me wading through the manual, invaluable, you are a star

11. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Re Reset Lens

Hi Brian,

I turned Reset Lens to OFF, per your recommendation. This is quite a nice feature for the stock zoom, which manually retracts to a fully closed position. However, I discovered that the 17mm pancake remains in the 'Out' position when powered down. No idea whether this makes it more vulnerable, for example, but it is surprising (to me).

I wonder if this is also the case with other lenses?

Best,
    Tom

12. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Tom,

yes - it's most noticeable on the ZD 50mm f2 macro... which really winds out a long way, when focusing on a close subject.

Cheers

Brian

13. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Multi-point focus and Face Detect

Brian,

Again, great series!

I have set the Fn button to Face Detect. This has an undocumented(?) effect: toggling Face Detect automatically toggles Multipoint/Single Focus. Face Detect on = Multipoint, Off = Single. Of course, you can override this, if necessary in the regular menus.

Instead of the Fn button for MF, I just use the existing Dial-Left button to quickly get to the MF mode and activate the AEL/AFL button.

Best,
    Tom

• Like Like x 2
  14. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Excellent observation Tom, and the key thing about this run through is to encourage exploration - as you're doing... and remember to save your config settings to the custom reset memory!

Cheers

Brian

15. BBW

As I am attempting to get a better handle on all these controls, I have to say that I found your use of the Fn button to be quite a good one. I'll try it and see if it improves my output. If I can remember to use it, that is. I think I might need a crib sheet to remind myself of all these available options.

At this point, I'm not sure that I would want to use Manual Focus, unless I were using some non auto focus lenses. I may well be missing something here.:popcorm2:

16. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    The reason for MF mode is that you separate auto focus from the shutter release button... when you toggle into MF mode, you can then trigger an autofocus by pressing the AEL/AFL button - and then take any number of shots at the same distance, without needing to refocus.

Also, if you get into the habit of gently squeezing the shutter release to take a shot, and returning it to the half pressed position you will find there is less delay to taking another shot.

Cheers

Brian

17. BBW

Aha! Now I understand about the MF mode and not needing to refocus...as you described.

Thanks Brian!

And so much for Mr. Magic Lantern because he warns "Whatever you don't..." and clearly doesn't understand where either you or Tom are coming from!

18. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Also, remember to use video! it was snowing the other day, huge flakes and I was trying to take a photo when video was the obvious choice! :dash2:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  19. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks from me too Brian - hadn't found the cog menus yet.

20. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    nice job and thanks Brian. As an x-videographer and post guy I know this takes lots of time. Thanks for your effort and time here.

PEte