Olympus E-P2 / Leica M9 / Nikon D3s shootout by Steve Huff

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I thought this was an interesting comparison. The lenses used were Lumix 20/1.7, Nikon 50/1.8, and Leica M 50/2.

Check it out here.
  2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    it seems his nikon has issues of of iq which really made it look bad hopefully he can do tghis test again with a leica lens on the ep2 and a sharp example of a nikon 50
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    At the aperture used (f/2.5), the Nikon 50/1.8 does struggle outside the middle 60-70% of the frame on full frame digital in my experience, so I'm not so sure Steve had a bad copy. At f/4 and beyond, it is a very, very sharp lens.

My main technical criticism of the comparison is that taking two cameras with AA filters (E-P2 and D3s) and giving their files the same amount of capture sharpening as the file from a camera with no AA filter (Leica M9) is going to produce misleading 100% crop comparisons. I've no doubt that the M9 would produce more detail regardless, but this is not an even playing field.
  4. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2009
    It seems pretty obvious from all the disparities that he gamed his test methodology to produce the M9-favoring result he wanted, and then ignored any contrary data (e.g. the severe color fringing and false-resolution edge artifacts in the M9 crop.)

But from the comments, that seems to be what his fan base wants to hear, so everybody's happy.
  5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I don't take any of Steve's articles as serious reviews - more like promitional pieces for each camera. He is, however a teriffic photographer and I wish him well!

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I know what you mean, Brian. Fun to read though, and like you said, the photography is excellent!