Olympus E-P2 / Leica M9 / Nikon D3s shootout by Steve Huff

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
it seems his nikon has issues of of iq which really made it look bad hopefully he can do tghis test again with a leica lens on the ep2 and a sharp example of a nikon 50

Amin Sabet

Administrator
At the aperture used (f/2.5), the Nikon 50/1.8 does struggle outside the middle 60-70% of the frame on full frame digital in my experience, so I'm not so sure Steve had a bad copy. At f/4 and beyond, it is a very, very sharp lens.

My main technical criticism of the comparison is that taking two cameras with AA filters (E-P2 and D3s) and giving their files the same amount of capture sharpening as the file from a camera with no AA filter (Leica M9) is going to produce misleading 100% crop comparisons. I've no doubt that the M9 would produce more detail regardless, but this is not an even playing field.

Ranger 9

Mu-43 Regular
It seems pretty obvious from all the disparities that he gamed his test methodology to produce the M9-favoring result he wanted, and then ignored any contrary data (e.g. the severe color fringing and false-resolution edge artifacts in the M9 crop.)

But from the comments, that seems to be what his fan base wants to hear, so everybody's happy.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I don't take any of Steve's articles as serious reviews - more like promitional pieces for each camera. He is, however a teriffic photographer and I wish him well!

Cheers

Brian

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom