Olympus E-mount OMD full frame camera?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by bikerhiker, May 12, 2014.

1. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Here's the rumour..

http://www.43rumors.com/ft1-the-omd-full-frame-e-mount-camera/

OMD full frame with a 32MP full frame sensor, but no IBIS. I don't mind if Olympus and Sony are to work together and develop this and the full line of Zuiko full frame lenses in E-mount. To retain compatibility with m4/3 lenses, a mount converter with full automation (AF) and shooting @ 16MP crop would be fantastic!!

Hoping that this is true even if the rumour is far fetched?

Do you all want a full frame OMD to complement your OMD m4/3?!? If this is true, this camera might finally pry me away from my Nikons.

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    :biggrin:

The big win for m43 over the A7 is IS. The larger sensor and the small emount is not going to be able to have IS, IMO. Besides why not just buy an A7? Oly's processor?

I could buy an A7 and so far I have decided not, lack of lenses and IS pretty much do it in as a system for me.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The comments are even better than the post!

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I really love the 5 axis IBIS. So far, the A7 does not provide automation on any lenses through a converter mount other than their own A mount converter so the supposedly vapourware OMD full frame should have the ability to use m43 lenses in full auto. Not a bad thing. Without m43 support, it's going to be a difficult sell for most people.

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    way too many mp
    no ibis???
    .... lenses....?

ive got an a99 and an rx1, and i dont get the a7 enuf to get one. i want the a7s sensor, but not really in a sony body with no lenses that i want... so thats unfortunate

the a7 lenses are too big for me and too slow. the rx1 was my ff sweetspot. i just want olympus to make a fixed lens ff camera in a Oly 1w(some kinda wide angle), Oly 1s(something 35 ISH for street), Oly 1n(50), and Oly 1sp and Oly 1 lp for short and long portrait. lol no need to make lots of lenses! just make lotsa cameras, lol:)

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I don't think Olympus will enter into another open standard like m43. Maybe it lets a system get off the ground quickly, but in the long run, It really doesn't make sense. Camera companies benefit by having people heavily invested in their system and their lenses. An easy out, where they can still use their lenses, but can make a lateral move, is bad for business.... Unless their Sony overlords are pressuring them into it. Sony seems MUCH better at creating bodies than it does lenses. Maybe this is how they want to turn their scatter shot/ADD development style into an actual system.

7. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Heh- yes the comments on that post are pretty entertaining. Though even the Admin put it at a "level 1" rumor.

I've thought about the Sony A7... and decided I too love my IS. It'd be amazed if they could get the magnetic IS to work on such a large sensor (I'm assuming the weight is what makes it prohibitive).

What I'd LOVE though, is a collaborative Sony-Olympus medium format super 4/3 sensor... that I could never afford.

8. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I have no interest in a FF Olympus camera. Not now, not ever.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Some of the comments are stellar! Thanks for pointing them out!

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I want something better. I don't know what it is, but I want it. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It'll never happen.

12. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    FWIW, a friend of mine who's an Olympus dealer, mentioned the same camera coming out.....

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Camera salesmen know absolutely nothing regarding what camera manufacturers intend to release, until it's released.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    ....prefer M43 sensor. Surprise??? :biggrin:

15. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    He's not a salesman - they (the shop they own) are the biggest sellers of Oly in South Africa and have a very close relationship with Olympus...

• Like Like x 1
  16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    So the solution to Olympus continuing to lose money hand over fist is to build a new system, which requires designing and producing a whole new lens lineup? This is some rumor 'source's' fantasy, not a meaningful leak of Olympus's strategy.

Also, a 32MP full-frame sensor is all well and good, but if there is a m4/3 adapter, you're down to 8MP, not 16MP.

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'm not really sure what benefit there is to coming out with a camera that has a mis-matched lens mount and sensor. None of the Olympus lenses that exist can support a full frame sensor.

18. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Unfortunately, I think that sums up a lot of us. Sometimes even me!!!

I would like a larger sensor, but not at the expense of IBIS, or camera size. Maybe by 2020?

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  20. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry

You could argue that 43 was in part a reaction to the realities of sensor construction and yields at the time.

Shamelessly stolen from another post:

anything much over 16->18 MP files is really more than I want to process from an event. So an 18MP FF sure, but the lenses for telephoto are huge. For me this would not be a win.