Olympus E-M5mk3 - what's next?

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I'm actually okay with a fully articulated screen on the E-M1.2, but it would be nice if Olympus & Panasonic would dispense with the notion that articulated is "premium" and tilting is "budget". They are different tools that belong on different cameras -- there is no reason to go all one way or the other. For me, the articulated screen on the E-M1 makes total sense, but I was really baffled by its inclusion on the Pen-F.
As I understand it, I'm pretty sure they mentioned in an interview that they wanted people to be able to turn the screen inwards and show off the camera with the leatherette backing, making it feel like an old film camera with no LCD.

That is, I believe it was a stylistic choice in the case of the PEN-F, rather than a functional one based on market positioning and intended application.

penf_back.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bruce Clarke

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Bruce Clarke
I'm sure they also did it for those purist types who want to use it like film and never chimp. Not me I hasten to add. Chimp champ!

Sam0912

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Sam Roberts
As I understand it, I'm pretty sure they mentioned in an interview that they wanted people to be able to turn the screen inwards and show off the camera with the leatherette backing, making it feel like an old film camera with no LCD.

That is, I believe it was a stylistic choice in the case of the PEN-F, rather than a functional one based on market positioning and intended application.

View attachment 509097

Shame it looks bloody awful! It doesn't even match the leather effect of the grip and other surrounding areas. Looks wise, I actually prefer the EP range, followed by the OMD's. I think they tried too hard with the F.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Recently, I sold one of my E-M5mk2's with the intent of buying the Olympus E-M1mk2 that just came out, but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it. I do like the increase in sensor performance and resolution. This got me thinking though. With the E-M5mk2, the new thing they added was high-res mode (which I do enjoy using in certain situations). With the E-M1mk2, they added 4k video. The E-M5mk3 will obviously have both, but any thoughts on what you think Olympus will try (or should try) to add next? Just thought I'd get the dialogue started on what'll probably Olympus's next camera announcement. :p

So as not to create an Olympus vs Panasonic comparison, I'll just say outright that I enjoy shooting more on Olympus bodies. It's just my own preference. I've previously owned a GX1 and GX7. I liked them, but just didn't connect with them as much as I did shooting with the Olympus OM-D cameras.

I stopped into my local Olympus dealer yesterday and the Olympus rep and his regional manager were there calling on the store manager. I had a long conversation with these guys and quizzed them on this very topic of the next E-M5 III.

The immediate response from the regional guy was that the next new camera to be announced by Olympus will be the follow on to the E-M10 II as a new entry level to the O-MD line. No new 5 series for at least another year.

Sorry.....

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I stopped into my local Olympus dealer yesterday and the Olympus rep and his regional manager were there calling on the store manager. I had a long conversation with these guys and quizzed them on this very topic of the next E-M5 III.

The immediate response from the regional guy was that the next new camera to be announced by Olympus will be the follow on to the E-M10 II as a new entry level to the O-MD line. No new 5 series for at least another year.

Sorry.....
That's odd - isn't the E-M10ii pretty new anyhow; certainly newer than the 5ii.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran

That was my response, as well. But, apparently the 10.3 will get more video upgrades and perhaps the 20mpx sensor.

I think this would leave a big hole in the Olympus lineup, with a stranded 16mpx E-M5.2 being the only offering between $800 and $2,000 (assuming the new 10.3 to be priced below $800)

Last edited:

Johnny The Greek

Mu-43 Veteran
That was my response, as well. But, apparently the 10.3 will get more video upgrades and perhaps the 20mpx sensor.

I think this would leave a big hole in the Olympus lineup, with a stranded 16mpx E-M5.2 being the only offering between $800 and $2,000 (assuming the new 10.3 to be priced below $800)

If they turn the E-M10 into a workable 4k video shooter but retain the flip screen, I'll be very interested. I could do even without the watersealing if it keeps the price under $1000.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Not entirely. The E-10 mk1/2 are separated by ~1.5yrs. The E-M1/5 1/2's were separated by ~3yrs. The life cycles are different.

Last edited:

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
Turning the screen inwards is to protect it when the camera is stored or the screen not in use - like when traveling or hiking through woods.

What texture to out on the back side is the style choice.

Sam0912

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Sam Roberts
Not entirely. The E-10 mk1/2 are separated by ~1.5yrs. The E-M1/5 1/2's were separated by ~3yrs. They life cycles are different.

To me the EM5 is the Oly m43 showcase model. Olympus will probably stick a new headline feature in, the em1 2 sensor would probably be enough for most? 20mp + phase detect, a better composite and even more fine tuning of controls/vf etc + 4K video.

I bought the EM5 because compared to my GF1, it's higher res, better in low light, has a vf and nice bonuses like ibis and weather sealing. I'm actually thinking it's time for a true gf1 upgrade next, so small with no "hump", the gx80 looks favourite for that as it has everything I love about the gf1+em5 (other than sealing, but never left the gf1 at home cos it was raining!) I'll then eventually upgrade the em5 when the basic IQ is a bigger leap, like it was between the gf1+em5.

Currently, the 20mp sensor seems to be the new standard, but doesn't seem to be a HUGE leap, so I think we've hit the limit of performance with a standard Bayer m43 sensor? So just a BSI 3 layer foveon style sensor with FF matching DR and high ISO and build in phase detect for dslr level caf is all I ask in em5 3 :flypig:

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If they turn the E-M10 into a workable 4k video shooter but retain the flip screen, I'll be very interested. I could do even without the watersealing if it keeps the price under $1000.

I suspect that any advances in the video department will be accompanied by a fully articulated screen. But, under $1,000 would be pretty easy to match.

Johnny The Greek

Mu-43 Veteran
I suspect that any advances in the video department will be accompanied by a fully articulated screen. But, under $1,000 would be pretty easy to match.

The Panasonics would have nabbed me already if video were a priority. The GX8 represents amazing value and will probably still be better than any future upgrade to the E-M10.

Sam0912

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Sam Roberts
The GX8 is close to my perfect camera in many ways, however, I'd always need a second, smaller camera as I know from experience that big cameras get left at home. M43 for me was the flexibility to go out hiking with a big weatherproof lens, then wipe the camera down, stick on a small prime and slip it in a pocket for my pub lunch The GX8 is just a touch too big for me, so it's EM5 for me (for now)

Latest threads

Top Bottom