Olympus E-M5mk3 - what's next?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by m43happy, Jan 25, 2017.

1. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Recently, I sold one of my E-M5mk2's with the intent of buying the Olympus E-M1mk2 that just came out, but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it. I do like the increase in sensor performance and resolution. This got me thinking though. With the E-M5mk2, the new thing they added was high-res mode (which I do enjoy using in certain situations). With the E-M1mk2, they added 4k video. The E-M5mk3 will obviously have both, but any thoughts on what you think Olympus will try (or should try) to add next? Just thought I'd get the dialogue started on what'll probably Olympus's next camera announcement. :p

So as not to create an Olympus vs Panasonic comparison, I'll just say outright that I enjoy shooting more on Olympus bodies. It's just my own preference. I've previously owned a GX1 and GX7. I liked them, but just didn't connect with them as much as I did shooting with the Olympus OM-D cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    All I care about is the screen. It has to be a "flip only" (or similar) screen. Otherwise I will not buy it - no matter what (even if it has 500 MPx sensor with superclean ISO6400). I'm sure it'll have a (>)20Mpx sensor, 4k video and a revised HiRes mode but I wonder what's new... Both E-M5s brought something completely new to the table so I reckon this should too.

I wish it has a usable AF-C but I wouldn't hold my breath. Olympus thinks that only flagship models deserve that - which is totally idiotic but what can you do?

3. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I would be happy if the Mk3 had the new 20 mp sensor they can leave the rest alone, same battery, body size and price. It would also be nice to be able to use my existing battery grip.

4. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I would like the button and 2x2 switch to be more ergonomic. Currently to close to the eyecup so you cannot use it very well while held up to your face. At least for my big nose and hands....

Something similar or even slightly better (~processing) to the new sensor 20Mp sensor from the EM1 with 4K video I would think is a given.

Optimization of the menu system should also be a given.

Hopefully it won't be bigger and beefier. That is the EM1-*'s job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If be happy with the AF and IBIS from the E-M1ii but packaged into a smaller and cheaper package at the expense of reduced hi-speed performance (frame rate, buffer depth, Pro Capture etc).

I'd love a return to the flip screen but I can't see it happening. Either suck it up or switch to Fuji. All Olympus OMDs will be fully swivel by the next gen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Olympus is damned if they do and damned if they don't in regards to the flip rear LCD. People want Olympus to get serious about video, and they started too and part of that is having a fully articulating screen.

There is no perfect camera system and all we can do is work within the confines of the system we choose or jump ship to another that better fits.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    There is the option of something similar to the Fuji xt2 or Pentax K1 LCD screens. I have never held either of those, but the LCD does have the capability of more angles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    true, but there are many factors that go into engineering things. You have to worry about patent infringement, and also you have design philosophy and future end goals. None of which do we have an insight into from the Olympus perspective.

Another option, that no one has exercised yet is perhaps having some kind of removable rear LCD that can be mounted separate from the camera body which would be great for remote control or for placing the rear LCD where ever the user wants.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    This can be done with a smartphone and the Olympus app. Like with the Air 01

10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I don't know that I'd buy one seeing as the EM5II already has most of what I care about, but I assume that in addition to what has been mentioned about regarding the sensor, AF and 4K video, the EM5III will also have touchpad AF, which I always enjoyed on the Panasonic cameras I've owned. In the short time I played with it on the EM10II, I found it to be more imprecise and fiddly than the Panasonic implementation though. I don't expect the EM5III to offer anything groundbreaking - just a collection of the advancements that have been added to the newer Olympus cameras, with the exception of all the features on the EM1II that depend upon phase detection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Right, but not everyone wants to blow through their phone battery and the interface is different. By having it as a detachable screen, you keep the same interface and the potential for less lag.

12. Bruce Clarke

Bruce Clarke New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2016
    Bruce Clarke
    I've still got the original E-M5, but always use it with the landscape grip, which means battery changes are annoying. I've recently got a second E-M1, as that for me is the perfectly-sized body. For the kind of shooting I do (landscape and architecture mostly), the emphasis on speed of the E-M1 II makes the high price hard to justify. I had planned to wait for the E-M5 III, but I'm fairly sure they will keep the shallow grip, so requiring a landscape grip all the time again, which I wouldn't go for. I'm annoyed the original E-M1 form factor appears to be dead. It would have been good to see an upgrade keeping the same battery and grip. The E-M1 II could have been called the E-M1S for speed or sport.

13. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Olympus is responding to the battery life complaints by giving us a bigger battery. It had to happen eventually.

14. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I'd expect the em1.2 guts with smaller buffer, old battery and a few speed features turned down to create differential.

Maybe sensor w/o pdaf, but they have to do something to counter DFD going forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    I think it crazy of Olympus going forward to not include PDAF in at least one less expensive OMD. CAF is by far the biggest issue with all their m4/3 cameras in reviews and what holds them back taking on the DSLR crowd. I'm willing to bet that a lot of people buying bottom end Canikons are doing so because they are convinced those cameras will take better pictures of their kids. An e-pl8 with PDAF would be a dslr killer.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    Global shutter would be nice new thing in the E-M5III.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I think it would be interesting if Olympus went the way of Nikon/Canon and made a slightly higher mp E-M5 line (like the D810/5D) compared to the E-M1 line (like D5/1Dx) that offers speed. That would actually create a compelling reason to buy the E-M5 line of cameras compared to the E-M1 line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Excactly my thinking

19. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I'd be surprised if it was anything more than EM5-2 with the new 20MP sensor.

20. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Interesting about the video. From what I have seen video is not usefull with a flip screen if it you cant use the sockets when the screen is flipped.