Olympus E-M5II lens Firmware update gone wrong

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dieter, May 14, 2017.

1. Dieter

Dieter Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dieter Pelz
    I just performed a firmware update for both camera and the lens (E-M5II & 12-40mm 2.8 PRO). Now it looks like the lens is not working any more. No image visible. (lens protector is not on :). It looks like the lens firmware update went wrong. Full battery. No obvious problem during update. When I attempt another update, it reports that camera firmware is up to date but it does not show the lens in the list of items to be updated). I then connected my Fisheye 1.8 8mm lens and the same thing happened. Now both my lenses are not working.
    Any cure for this one ? Need the camera working. thanks

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Your problem is likely only with the camera since the lenses will let light through with or without firmware.
    Do you see anything on the screen with no lens attached?
    You should see light, but no image...

3. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    I had a lens go bad during an update and a black screen is all I got. The updater app no longer listed the lens even though it was attached to the camera. No cure, only answer is to send it off to repair. I forget the cost, seems like it was $100-130.

I have an Apple iMac computer and AT&T DSL internet service. There is something wrong with that combination and I have lots of connection problems. The Olympus updater seems to time out when ever it is downloading an update. I finally gave up doing updates from home.

4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    You mean no image on the screen and in the OVF?

5. Dieter

Dieter Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dieter Pelz
    Correct. Without lens attached: Just light and blurred shapes. Thanks

6. Dieter

Dieter Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dieter Pelz
    Correct. thanks

7. WRay

WRay Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 23, 2012
    Riverside, California
    Ray
    Have you tried removing the camera battery, putting it back in the camera then turning the camera on?

8. Dieter

Dieter Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dieter Pelz
    Yes, I did, thanks. Same result.

9. WRay

WRay Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 23, 2012
    Riverside, California
    Ray
    What worked for me was removing the battery and putting in a refreshly charged different battery! I should have mentioned that in my other post!

10. Dieter

Dieter Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dieter Pelz
    The battery I used was fully charged, but not freshly charged. It had been charged a few days ago. I can try charging putting in a freshly charged one but I still think the lens firmware is not fully loaded and hence the problems.

11. AlterKnabe

AlterKnabe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Germany
    Have you been using the new version 2 of the camera-updater software?

12. Dieter

Dieter Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dieter Pelz
    Hallo ! Yes, I used version 2.1.3. Thanks

13. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2013
    David Taylor
    The other thing is to try cleaning the contacts between the lens and the camera, and look for damage. With the lenses on the camera can you go into the setup section of the menu and see if you get a lens firmware listed? Perhaps a reset of the camera?

14. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    When you put the fisheye on did you try to update that as well or did it not work on the updated body without updating the lens?

15. Just wondering... I've got both the em5mkii and a couple of the Pro lens, one of which I know has an update (12-100/4 Pro). From past experience updating or fixing anything (coaching background - only fix one thing at a time!) I would be hesitant to update both the lens and the camera at the same time.

Is there a recommended order to do these updates? It seems to me that I would do the update of the one that was announced first... unless of course they were done at the same time. Any suggestions for this?

and... @Dieter@Dieter ... did you do both at the same time (or is that even possible?) or one first then the other?... if you did one first were you able to test it out and make sure it didn't affect anything else before updating the other?

16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The Oly updater only does one piece at a time.

17. That makes sense... which would you do first ... (chicken or egg?)... camera or lens?

18. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I tend to do the camera first, with no lens attached. Followed by each lens in turn.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Dieter

Dieter Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dieter Pelz
    I tried to update the fisheye as well and when I did it stopped working. Olympus are causing me what I believe are avoidable problems. thanks

20. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2013
    David Taylor
    But did the fisheye work on the body when you put it on, prior to the update? Have you by chance another lens you can use to test the body is recognizing lenses, without doing the update?