1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-M5 USA Rebate Offer Simplified (Update)

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As many of you know, Olympus has a rebate offer of a free adaptor or flash for E-M5 pre-orders in the United States. Today I received an email from Olympus with the following updated information:

accessories_nb.
    The Olympus Special Offers Page gives the same updated information if you click on "View important details for pre-order customers".

Download the rebate form here: http://www.olympusamerica.com/crm/rebates/e-m5_accessory_mir_form.pdf

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    So, which to choose? Is the FL-300R really that useful?

I don't use 43 lenses, but I suppose I could sell the adapter.

Which to choose? I would much rather have the grip, of course! Or a spare battery.

3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Its the best adapter
    It's not the best flash

I'd think adapter is safer bet

- Eliot

4. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am assuming we still need to send out the UPC codes from the 2 boxes? Am I right Amin?

HOW TO CLAIM YOUR REBATE
    1. Print this rebate form.
    2. Fill out all the information requested on the front of this form.
    3. Attach the following:
    • Original or Copy of dated sales receipt showing purchase of:
    • One of the E-M5 camera configurations and
    • One of the eligible accessory items listed on this form
    Original cutout of UPC codes from product boxes. Two UPC Codes must
    be submitted. One from the E-M5 box, one from the chosen accessory box
    4. MAIL all items to:

Thanks.

5. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    the flash may not be very powerful, but it is pocketable and does wireless TTL.. I'd say it opens up opportunities where you're not carrying a camera bag w/ a bunch of gear

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Point well taken, though I'm thinking now I maybe might use the flash. No way on the adapter. Maybe I'll check resale values on both.

7. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am thinking of getting the flash too. I don't use 4/3 or OM lenses.

If the flash is not great, is it in any way better than the clip-on flash of the PEN's? Since not a lot have experience with the OM-D flash yet that is why I am asking about how it compares with the clip-on flashes for the E-PM1 and E-PL3. I am assuming they are about the same (PEN and OM-D clip-on flash).

Thanks.

HUBERT

8. toobacat

toobacat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    According to the rebate form you can order a silver or black body, but only a black lens in order to get the rebate. I had pre-ordered a silver body and lens, so I might have to change my order now.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Based on what I read, the 300R is better than the clip on in a couple of ways:

1) it's a little strong (though still not "strong" compared to the 36R)
    2) It's tiltable for a bounce flash, while the clip-on is not
    3) You can use the clip on to trigger the 300R as a remote flash, so you can get a fill flash and side (or top or whatever) light, and you can control the strength of the 300R from the camera menus.

For free, it might be worth getting to experiment.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If I order the 300R and get it now, how many days do I have to qualify for the rebate? That is, if the camera doesn't show up until like April 25th or something, do you still get the rebate???

11. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Rebate offer is until 5/31/12.

https://us.buyolympus.com/digital-cameras/om-d-system.html

"Get a Free Adapter or Flash with OM-D E-M5 Purchase.
    With your purchase of any OM-D E-M5 configuration, you are eligible for a free accessory of your choice! Download rebate form (PDF). Choose from the MMF-3 Four Thirds Lens Adapter, MF-2 OM Lens Adapter or FL-300R Wireless Flash. Offer ends 5/31/12."

12. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

Sounds like a great plan. I will preorder the flash. But do we still have to cut portions of the boxes (camera and accessory box) and send it together with the receipt?

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Rebate says "purchase between April 1 and May 31" so don't get the flash or adapter until after April 1!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I would get the flash. Its wireless and you can hide it when doing location portraits.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I personally have no interest in any of the items, and I'm not gonna jump through the rebate hoops to get one.

Yes, and keep copies of everything. These rebate programs (speaking generally here, not specifically about Olympus) are notorious for losing your paperwork as one of the hoops you jump through to get your money.

No, that's not necessary. You just have to order the flash or adaptor prior to your E-M5 ship date. Here's the full text pertaining to pre-orders from the page that I linked in the OP, straight from the horse's mouth (bold added by me):

• Like Like x 2
  16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Does anyone have a clue what the $170 OM adapter from Oly does vs a $15 one from Rainbow Imaging (which I've had no issues with in the past)?

17. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Thanks for the info.
    I called Adorama today to add the fl-300r to the order. they said my placement/spot will NOT be changed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    Hmmm, flash is ugly, weak, and optical sensor is on the front....
    No 4/3 glass...
    No om glass/ Chinese adapter works the same.
    But for some reason I want to do it to get it for free... Wish they had a 200 off grip or something

19. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    heh, same. Though, I thought the flash might be useful in a bind since it's compact enough to easily slip in a bag. But now I'm thinking I don't want to wait on a $180 rebate (that and amazon does not sell it directly, it's where I have my E-M5 preordered).

I, too, would have jumped on a $150 rebate on the grip. I think.

20. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    Hmmm since it is via amazon (my pre order there also) but from a different camera store and not sold direct from amazon... Would that still work...?