Olympus E-M5 (OM-D) - Improved Dynamic Range?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by krugorg, Feb 5, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    What do you all think is the reality of the rumor/leak of the OM-D's enhanced dynamic range?
  2. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    It needs to be relative to something. If the comparison is to Olympus' other m43 cameras, then it's most likely a true statement. If it's a comparison to the GX1, the proof will be in the pudding.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have to think it will be close to the GX1, at least how it measures on the DXO test.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Probably another JPEG curve-tweak, in combination with the G3 sensor.

5. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    We're getting to the just-enough DR with the G3, so perhaps a tweak to a G3-like sensor would be my guess.
  6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I really wouldn't want to guess on this one, think I'll reserve judgement until someone has had the camera in their hands and tested it. More DR is not top of my priorities anyway, what we've got already doesn't seem to cause me a problem. :smile:
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    It's the GX1 DR with improvements in jpg (maybe a sort of improved iEnhance) that will be irrelevant for RAW shooters. Still, the new sensor will be a twinge better than the old 12MP one.
  8. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    If the processing improvements are passed along to Olympus Master 2, then it's mildly relevant to RAW shooters.
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I reserve comment, but my gut instinct is the second option, as seems to be a majority. :D

I actually hadn't heard the rumors about that except for reading the title of this thread. That was my gut instinct just knowing there was a new camera line out from Olympus...
  10. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It does seem like option two is the most popular choice, but I am still keeping my fingers crossed for something more significant. That said, I would be happy with GX1 sensor + IBIS. :biggrin: