Olympus E-M5 mk II slow to boot

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SirGadden, Mar 5, 2015.

1. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Got my E-M5 mk II a few days ago and I love it! :)
    Besides a few minor software quirks there is one thing that bugs me, the boot time.

According to Imaging Resource, boot takes ~0.8 sec, i.e. from pushing the on-button untill you can take a picture (that is the same boot time as on the E-M1 and the GH4 btw).
    When I switch on my E-M5 mk II it takes ~1 sec untill I can see TTL on the LCD, however, it then takes another second or two before the UI is loaded and I can take a pictures, i.e. boot time is ~2.5 seconds.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm hoping software can fix it but how did Imaging Resource end up with ~0.8 sec if it takes ~2.5 sec? Or is my unit faulty? Anyone with an E-M1 care to test (from hitting the power button untill you can start taking a photo)?

BTW, I tried with alot of lenses (9 to be precise) and they're all the same. I have a GH4 aswell and that one is correcly quoted at ~0.8 seconds.

2. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    This does not sound normal. I just did about a half-dozen tests on my EM5II. With the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 lens mounted I could power on and take a focused shot in less than 1 second. Of course the O17 is a very fast focuser, but AF speed aside, the power-on-and-shoot time is remarkably low. Sounds like yours has a bug of some kind. Perhaps see if you can do a full reset or reload the firmware?

• Like Like x 1
  3. jefft

jefft Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I've noticed that waking up from the "Quick Sleep" option can be rather slow as well...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    That is not normal, try resetting the camera with the SD card out.

Just tested my E-M1 & E-M5 with 12-40 Pro and 60mm macro from startup (not wake from sleep). The zoom was about 3/4 second, the prime was a bit quicker at 1/2 second and the back view screen was ready to go with both. The E-M5 was just a hair slower.

Congrats only your E-M5 MK II, mine will be here tomorrow and I will update post if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for all your answers, I'll try a full reset without sd card inside. Quick Sleep is turned off btw.
    (Oly lenses I've tried is 17 f/1.8, 45 f/1.8 and 12-40 f/2.8.)

6. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tried a full reset in the menus but to no avail, timed it from switching it on to being able to start focusing: 3.3 seconds :(
    Is there some other way to reset the camera? Some sort of factory reset maybe? (This is my first Oly so bare with me)

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    How full is the SD card? Format it?

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    I just looked at the Mk II manual I have been reading in anticipation of receiving mine tomorrow. Seems when you reset under Shooting Menu 1 you have the option to do a Basic reset or a Full reset. I assume the basic reset does not disturb your settings you have set up. The Full reset will reset all except for time, date and a few others. So no, this is not a Factory reset as you would need to reset the time and date as well.

If you did the Full reset and still have this issue, suggest you get in touch with Olympus service. They may be able to tell you how to do a Factory reset and solve the problem without returning the camera.

Two other items you may want to check. By any chance did you buy a spare battery with the camera, or have the BLN-1 from a different model? Might want to switch batteries and see if the problem remains. Also try a different SD card, it may be that the camera and card are having a problem communicating.

*Edit-See that Sprocket 87 suggested reinstalling the firmware, it is a small pain as you have to download and set up the Oly software to do this, but you should try it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    How big is the SD card? Is it a slow card?

• Like Like x 2
  10. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    My E-M5ii feels like it takes about 2 seconds from on switch to being able to take a picture. I conducted my super scientific test of "1 Mississippi...2 Mississippi".

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  11. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    I am having the same exact problem, and it was driving me crazy. This is my first mirorless, and I just assumed it was normal...
    I am using the 12-40 pro lens and this card:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3KA814/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Specifically what I am finding is that the EVF takes forever to turn on (almost 3 seconds before I can see anything) when auto switch EVF is on, the external one seems to start up very fast. I would say, that if AF is off, and no card, i can take release the shutter within a second or so, but not via the EVF.

If I turn of EVF auto switch, and I take the card out, and I have it in MF I can also take a picture in about a second using the EVF. That is a lot of ifs. With the card and AF it is about 2 - 3 seconds (a bit faster with no face detect and one AF point).

What are others finding?

I will try calling Olympus tomorrow.

-w0den

• Like Like x 1
  12. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Alright, done some further testing:

- Tested with/without SD-card + using an older class 2 card (My primary card is a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Plus)
    - Hard reset from the hidden menus
    - Tested with spare (original) battery

No difference in boot time, still around 3 seconds from flicking the on-button untill I can start focusing... :(

Next step will be to try will be reflashing firmware, sadly, Olympus has not uploaded the firmware for my language (Swedish) to their homepage yet.
    Can I flash UK firmware safely?

13. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Can you take quick video and upload it to youtube? I'd like to see how long it takes. Everyone counts at a different pace.

14. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I think I just discovered the culprit! Maybe...

Remember that my EM5II was very quick to boot - I could go from power off to focused shot taken in under 1 second. Well after playing around with various settings today I noticed my power on and shoot time was waaaay slower, like a couple seconds as the OP described. So I went back and checked all the settings I had played with to see which one had caused the problem.

What I found was that the instant-on speed only works in Single drive mode -- meaning, Single shot only -- no Anti-Shock or Electronic/Silent shutter mode, no Sequential High/Low Speed, no Timer, no High Res. If you use any of those drive modes other than plain old Single shot, the boot time is 2+ seconds. But in Single shot I reliably got instant on/focus/fire.

Try it and see if it helps... if this is a universal thing then I'd say it's worth letting Olympus know, that seems firmware fixable. I can't think of any reason there would be such a long startup delay for electronic shutter or sequential mode, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  15. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    The following is a video demonstration of the startup time:

Here is my experiment and the video:
    1) I am in single drive mode and S-AF face detect (i) on
    2) paper taped over the sensor on the EVF to simulate having the camera at my eye
    3) finger holding the shutter half way down
    4) Switch the camera on

Observations:
    1) The main LCD comes on pretty fast
    2) the EVF lights up and gets focus much later
    3) 3.1 seconds from the time I start the camera till the time you hear the focus lock.

Also, here are my main camera settings from the SCP.
    camrea sc.

Can someone else try this and see what they get?

Thanks,
    w0den

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Seems about the same as mine. Doesn't bother me one bit. I'd say .001% of my shots take place within those 3 seconds.

I never understood why people have such an issue when their camera cannot take a picture in .1 seconds of the camera turning on. Turn your camera on sooner I say.

17. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    I agree that this is not a show stopper. However, I read somewhere that you can take pictures in .8 seconds, and I was surprised that it is taking me 3 seconds. I just want to make sure my camera is operating correctly, as I already had to return the camera once due to a broken rear dial.

18. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Ha! You and me both. :(

19. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Just tried it on mine. My startup is the same as yours. About 3+ secs. I thought I noticed it was a little slow. My E-M1 is practically instant. I wonder if its a known bug. I will try and hunt around a little bit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    OK, I just received my E-M5 MKII a few minutes ago. Like yours it is taking, with factory settings as is, about 3 seconds until the beep or when the menu items on the screen appear. However I was able to take a photo right as the lcd screen came on, which was about 1 second and it did focus my 17mm set at infinity and on a lens 8" away just fine. (The beep is the first thing I turn off, then the auto everything buttons.)

As mentioned above, with both my E-M5 and E-MI the menu items come on in less than 1 second and so does the AF. So I would not worry about it too much as the important thing is that the E-M5 MKII focused in under 1 second, its just that the screen menu items had not appeared yet. Unless yours will not take a photo in 1 second or so, then you might want to contact service if it really bothers you. This may just be a slight bug that will be worked out in the next firmware upgrade.

The camera ergonomics are great, a nice step up from the E-M5 and very similar to my E-M1. But for some reason my new battery is dated 2013-08 ??? Anybody else's start with 2013? My E-M5 battery is 2012, the 14 month old E-M1 is 2013, you would think Oly made a fresh batch of batteries in the last 14 months

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1