Olympus E-M5 Mark 2 finish quality question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dantheman, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Dantheman

Dantheman New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2015
    Dan
    Hi

Im just about to place an order for E-M5ii however I cannot decide between finishes:) Leaning towards black for less flashy look for street photography. Silver looks so nice though...

Whats your experience with those finishes? I already saw someone complaining about silver finish scratching too easily. Is black more durable?

Thank you

Dan

2. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I have silver and have no problem. I do think the MkII has a much improved finish over the original EM 5. I have a black one which looks rather dowdy but holds up well.

3. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    The finish from my black one looks very durable.
    It is a more or less mate finish, like you find on good old cameras, not that kind of glossy finish that could scratch easy.
    I wish I could have also a Silver one as a back-up camera, but as I can have only one for now, I prefer black because it's more discrete.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Silver all the way! My finish has been very durable.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Silver EM5Mk2 here and no problems with the finish either. I wouldn't worry about the "flash" of the silver body. Most people think I run into think it is an old film camera most of the time, same as they do with my Nikon Df. Get whichever body you like.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I question whether black is more stealthy or discrete, it can come cross as very serious and threatening. Sometimes I wonder if the more disarming colors are the "fun" colors that the P&S and compact cameras come in. Between black, silver and titanium I think that you should pick the color that you like to look at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I've had the black E-M5 Mk.II for nearly two months and am using the A&A Silk Cord strap which uses steel O-rings that do rub against the body and so far I can't see any signs of wear on the finish.

For me, I love black cameras so I get black regardless of finish durability. Although the new titanium finish E-M5 Mk.II about to be release looks pretty damn sexy to me.

8. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had the silver em5 since it came out a few years ago and no parts of the silver has been scratched. It's been to Europe and back to the US and it still looks new. I'm hoping to get a silver em5 mkii, but the titanium finish does look nice.

9. Dantheman

Dantheman New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2015
    Dan
    Sweet. Order placed. Im getting black one. Im so excited!

10. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    They have refurbished em5 mkii on the olympus site for 799.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.