1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-M5 Mark 2 finish quality question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dantheman, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Dantheman

Dantheman New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2015
    Dan
    Hi

Im just about to place an order for E-M5ii however I cannot decide between finishes:) Leaning towards black for less flashy look for street photography. Silver looks so nice though...

Whats your experience with those finishes? I already saw someone complaining about silver finish scratching too easily. Is black more durable?

Thank you

Dan

2. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I have silver and have no problem. I do think the MkII has a much improved finish over the original EM 5. I have a black one which looks rather dowdy but holds up well.

3. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    The finish from my black one looks very durable.
    It is a more or less mate finish, like you find on good old cameras, not that kind of glossy finish that could scratch easy.
    I wish I could have also a Silver one as a back-up camera, but as I can have only one for now, I prefer black because it's more discrete.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Silver all the way! My finish has been very durable.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Silver EM5Mk2 here and no problems with the finish either. I wouldn't worry about the "flash" of the silver body. Most people think I run into think it is an old film camera most of the time, same as they do with my Nikon Df. Get whichever body you like.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I question whether black is more stealthy or discrete, it can come cross as very serious and threatening. Sometimes I wonder if the more disarming colors are the "fun" colors that the P&S and compact cameras come in. Between black, silver and titanium I think that you should pick the color that you like to look at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I've had the black E-M5 Mk.II for nearly two months and am using the A&A Silk Cord strap which uses steel O-rings that do rub against the body and so far I can't see any signs of wear on the finish.

For me, I love black cameras so I get black regardless of finish durability. Although the new titanium finish E-M5 Mk.II about to be release looks pretty damn sexy to me.

8. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had the silver em5 since it came out a few years ago and no parts of the silver has been scratched. It's been to Europe and back to the US and it still looks new. I'm hoping to get a silver em5 mkii, but the titanium finish does look nice.

9. Dantheman

Dantheman New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2015
    Dan
    Sweet. Order placed. Im getting black one. Im so excited!

10. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    They have refurbished em5 mkii on the olympus site for 799.