1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus e-m5 issue?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by micehorns, Aug 28, 2016.

1. micehorns

micehorns New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    Chris
    After a year away from photography I purchased an Olympus e-m5 and a few lenses (14mm 2.5, 20mm 1.7 and Sigma 60mm 2.8), I noticed that every single lens is soft at the same spot (upper left hand side). The 14mm is the worst of them. I decided to re purchase a lens I knew from my past kit was sharp, the Samyang 7.5mm and even this lens is soft on the upper left.

At first I thought I had simply got 3 poor examples of lenses, but after the Samyang arrived today I'm starting to question the camera itself. I've tried everything, tripod shooting with a delay, switching anti shock on/off, switching the stabilisation on/off and it's making no difference.

The issue reminds me of a tilt shift on all lenses, one area is completely out of focus and covered in chromatic aberration. When manually focusing and moving the magnification around you can clearly see one half is in focus while the other half is out, eliminating any auto focus issues.

I'm guessing this will be a sensor alignment issue? Is there any sort of hard resets on Olympus cameras? Or something that could use the stabilisation to help sit the sensor correctly? Or any ideas at all?

I can upload some examples tonight if it helps.

Thanks, Chris.

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Could also be the mount on the camera. If the mount is not level, this would show up most in wide angle lenses as you are noticing. Just my 2c. Was it a used camera?

3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I've had same kind of issue with my first E-M5. I sent it to Olympus for repair under warranty, but they didn't do anything for it apparently, since the issue was still there after it...with all lenses.
    I sold it as "just repaired" since the repair was documented and extended the warranty even more and bought a new E-M5. With the new body I didn't notice such issues. So if you still can, get rid of that camera body and get a new one. If not, then try to document that fault as well as you can and send that info to Olympus service along with your camera. I've seen it twice that they try to cut corners with repairs. The second time was when they didn't fix my sticky shutter the first time I sent my camera to them. So I had to send it twice!

4. micehorns

micehorns New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    Chris
    I didn't even think to check the mount itself, I'll have a look tomorrow. Sadly it was bought second hand but from a store, so I'll explore return options with them.

I've also had issues with an older Olympus and my camera came back from Olympus with more problems. I used Panasonics since the G2 and never had an issue, I've had 2 Olympus' in my life and had 3 separate issues with them.

I decided to return to photography with a simple idea of one older, cheaper body and a few good primes. Now it looks like I'll be doing the selling/buying thing again!

Thanks for the replies.

• Sad Sad x 1
  5. micehorns

micehorns New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    Chris
    14mm1.

14mm 1/3 of the frame to the left

14mm2.

14mm centre of the frame.

This isn't even extreme edge softness, this is 1/3 of the whole frame looking like this. Infact, looking in Lightroom while making these, you can actually see the moment it loses sharpness, its not a progressive thing gradually losing sharpness - it's a sudden drop off.

Attached Files:

6. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Even second hand, Olympus will still service it, but it'll be a flat rate of about $160 which includes a 6 month repair warranty.

But you have to be vigilant in explaining the problem or risk having to send it back a second time when it only comes back cleaned up and not fixed.

It could even be the image stabilization housing not set properly. Since that does move the sensor.

7. micehorns

micehorns New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    Chris
    Just an update. I haven't had great experiences with Oly repairs, so I didn't want to go down that route again. Thankfully the camera shop agree there's a problem and refunded me, so I paid a little extra and went for a GX7. I did enjoy the Olympus stabilisation, but I should hopefully be content with the GX7 2-axis. More importantly, I know Panasonic layouts so it should be easy to transition from my old G6.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Several issues come to mind. First is the subject. May I suggest that you use another subject for your testing as the trees are way too busy. Secondly where is the focus point? Are you using manual or auto focus. What happens when you use the center focus spot focus point? Post some full size unprocessed images with the EXIF info attached. While it should not make any difference, what shutter speed and f stop were these taken at?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1