Olympus E-M5 grip

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by troll, Mar 23, 2012.

1. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    So I was thinking about getting an E-M5 with the grip/battery pack for tripod work with an L-plate but I kinda puzzled by its construction. If I got it right, it just doesn't make sense.. I install a battery into the camera, then I attach the 1st small grip, then I attach the bigger "vertical" grip, then I insert the 2nd battery into that 2nd grip, and then I put an L-plate on it.

But doesn't it mean that after a day of heavy shooting to change the batteries I actually have to remove the L-plate, then the 2nd grip, then the first grip, and only then I'll be able to reach the 1st battery to recharge it?! :confused: All this screwing/unscrewing to just recharge the batteries after a day of shooting is ridiculous, did I get this camera+grip "design" right? Hope not... :frown:

2. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    From my understanding, the grip comes in two pieces. The landscape grip goes on first then the battery unit/portrait grip goes on second.

I'm not a fan of the grip though, on a small camera like the E-M5 it just looks weird to me lol I never have any problem turning my hand to shoot portrait style.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You would only have to remove the grip that attaches to the body to replace the battery within the body, you can leave all the others attached.

• Like Like x 1
  4. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Hmm, it's not that bad if two grips can be removed at once, without taking them apart first. :thiagree: Still not as convenient as with DSLR grips, but probably not a deal breaker. Thank you for clarifying.
    RRS is gonna charge $190 for the L-plate! :eek: Just a piece of metal basically, they're mad..

5. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    You can also plug a charger to the camera, so you don't need to remove anything to charge the batteries :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Wow, if there's a way to do this - then I'm sold on E-M5! Where to plug the charger, in the grip or the body?

7. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    Not sure, I believe it's on the grip.

8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Can't find it now, but remember reading that the power cable only powers the camera, but doesn't actually charge the batteries....

• Like Like x 1
  9. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Not only is the RRS L-plate expensive, but there are two versions for it...one for the E-M5 without grip and one with grip. So what if you're like me and sometimes you need to travel light (without grip) but still want an L-plate? Gotta buy them both. $380? Nah, I'll look elsewhere or get the universal L-plate.

10. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    does that mean you could keep the camera plugged in for super long exposures?

11. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    $190 is pretty much the going rate for all L-Plates these days if they are custom fit to the camera. If you consider the machining that goes into those parts, it is not as ridiculous as you might think. Go have something custom milled from billet and then have it anodized and see what that costs. I am surprised that they have been able to keep these at that price for the last 8 years. That does not even consider the 3D scanning equipment they had to buy to rapidly scan the new camera bodies that are constantly coming out, and expensive CAD/CAM software licenses etc.

Cliff

P.S. I have no relationship to RSS or Kirk or any other producer of these L-Plates, other than I have bought L-Plates from pretty much all of them at one point in time or another.

Edit: Actually the RSS L-Bracket for the EM5 without the grip is $120. And, it is modular so you can either have the L component on or off as you wish, as they did for the Panasonic GX1.

12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The AC-3 power adapter is just that, it will not charge the batteries. The AC adapter is useful for long exposures, but perhaps more important, the grip has a power jack receptacle that will allow for it to use adapters for automotive batteries. This will be handy for doing astrophotography in the field in isolated areas.