1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-M5 Factory Reconditioned $759

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by snaimpally, Apr 1, 2013.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    Black is out of stock but the silver seems to be in stock. These prices are getting closer and closer to tempting me. I hope to score one of these at some point. Thanks for posting.

2. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Wow! That was fast. The black was in stock all day and when I posted.

I agree, these prices are getting very tempting.

The EM5 with the 12-50mm lens is only $1039.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/out...m-ez-black-body-black-lens-reconditioned.html

3. miniaznray

miniaznray New to Mu-43

Mar 10, 2012
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I waited and bought my E-P3 for under $500 - I think I'll wait for the new version to be released and see where the prices go. I can be very patient. :biggrin:

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would be all over this if it weren't for a financial setback. :mad:

Once I get that paid off I will be back to buying gear including an E-M5.

6. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I waiting till they go even lower... by years end... they should be around the $500 - $600 range...

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Good gracious.....where were these things a month ago?

I couldn't find a sensible price on a used one anywhere unless it was black. I feel like just buying them all.

I wish there something we could do as consumers to stop the rate of depreciation. Like if we just bought enough, they wouldn't bring out a new model. and the current one could hold it's value.

I feel like a jackass having just paid $900 for a $300 camera. Thanks Olympus for building disposable cameras:rant:

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I've never been a fan of "reconditioned" cameras, probably because I suspect it was broken and the source may not have been completely honest with its condition, leaving the factory to do a standard refurb when there could have been something out of the ordinary or intermittent that they couldn't (or wouldn't know to) fix. I will always take a used camera from someone that I trust before I buy reconditioned.

9. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I have been waiting for the $ 700 mark. very tempting now.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    my guess is that "reconditioned" means bought new and used for two weeks and then returned to places that don't re-sell used cameras as new. Cleaned up and tested is how I perceive it. I consider them the same as buying a used camera from Amazon warehouse. Someone that bought it to try it out because there is no bricks and mortar store nearby.

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    And if you buy refurbs from Cameta, they come with a full one-year warranty.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    When I can pick up a new silver E-M5 with 12-50mm lens for $999, I will act. If I can get that kit for that price including tax, I will act without delay.

13. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Just curious, where are you finding E-M5's valued at $300? Or were you referring to another Olympus model?

I can certainly understand that nobody likes to purchase an item and then watch its price drop, but the last time I looked for a used E-M5, it was priced about the same as these reconditioned models. I suspect that the E-M5 has no worse a depreciation curve than most current consumer/prosumer DSLR's from Canon or Nikon.

--Ken

14. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    The Wareshouse cameras come in their original box while the Cameta refurbished come in a 'refurbished' box

15. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I've bought over 50 Olympus reconditioned products (camera bodies & lenses) and have had one stuck shutter on an E-PM1 that was repaired quickly under the 90 day warranty. I'll take a 2% (repairable) fail rate any day. Also, after a "reconditioned" camera has been used...it's used.

16. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    /\/\ This.

Bought my e-pm1 refurbished directly from Olympus. Just had it sent for repair (also stuck shutter) but the 2 year warranty covers that...

17. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    So why didn't you buy black?

It holds its value to you if you don't sell it. You can ignore the new models.

Did yours stop working suddenly? Mine seems fine...

Sorry - I just find these "why does economics work the way it does, I'm so angry" posts a little pointless.

Digital camera bodies depreciate - they always have and always will. Just be thankful that when you buy the body you are done spending money on it, unlike in the past with film where the bodies "held" their value but you put a quarter in every single time you clicked the shutter.

18. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If you find them pointless, just ignore them. Economics doesn't have to work that way. Not everything depreciates at the same rate. Unfortunately because of Olympus' business model where they keep cranking out new models every 6 months, their depreciation rate is easily twice what Panasonic's is. The GH2 is quite a bit older than the E-P3 and is still worth double.