1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Test Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic GX1 Sensor Dynamic Range Comparison

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 20, 2012.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Amin,

Nice comparison! Well done!

I think that my decision is both. I was considering the GX1 (or 2) to replace my PM1 and join my E-M5 .........

- David

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Here's a comparison of both cameras at ISO 3200, 14mm f/5.6 and 1.5s.

4-stop pull:

7835529212_dbfb0b5740_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2-stop push (both files show a purple blob mess in the shadows if you push 4 stops):

7835528996_03d25e509f_o.png

Whole frame with no pushing/pulling:

7835528766_da61a2253b_o.png

My take on this is that E-M5 maintains a DR advantage at high ISO, but it isn't the kind of disparity that Techradar's results would suggest.

RAW files from this comparison:

• Like Like x 1
  3. That's right! Sometimes HDR and high dynamic range don't necessarily mean the same thing.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    One last comparison which I found interesting: GX1 ISO 160 and E-M5 ISO 800.

4-stop pull:

7835624042_46795dce7c_o.png

4-stop push:

7835624298_afa9dde170_o.png

Whole frame:

7835624470_4912bb3a25_o.png

Summary: E-M5 looks to have a touch more DR at ISO 800 than the GX1 has at ISO 160. However, colors are washed out in ISO 800 E-M5 pushed shadows, whereas by comparison colors remain richer and truer in ISO 160 GX1 pushed shadows.

RAW files:

5. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    My thoughts exactly but the way you expressed it was way too much to write with my english. Thank you :thumbup:

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Bingo. We seem to have lost the concept that photography is about light and shadow.

7. That is true, but it's also always been influenced by the technology that was available at any given time, which has in turn allowed the medium to evolve and expand in different directions.

8. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    And that, Amin, is why we need people like you doing proper real-world tests - many thanks! This is exactly the sort of thing we need; how many stops can you actually lift the shadows. I'm impressed with the latitude you're getting from the GX1 - I've hit the buffers a few times with the G3 and extreme shadow lifts (much less than 4 stops though). I end up with largish purple and blue blotches over areas of the image that are being lifted.

Michael

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks, Michael. I would have assumed the G3 would be similar to GX1. Are you using Lightroom 4?

10. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    Indeed I am. I don't have many examples to hand I'm afraid as I generally back off on the shadow lifts if / when I see it, and it is only on extreme lifts. Also I'm not going to be able to use the computer with LR on it for a little while as we're off on holiday in a couple of days.
    Here's one where it is just visible - the shadow lift was on the fountain in the middle. At small view below you can't see it

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5387137182/download/1966817" width="1024" height="768">

but here's a 100% crop of the fountain.

Not the best example as the phenomenon I'm describing is pretty much overshadowed by the noise! This is also an extreme example of a lift with the G3.

Michael

Attached Files:

11. Rick E-5

Rick E-5 New to Mu-43

Aug 22, 2012
    What a great thread Thanks !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.