Olympus e-m5 and 12-40 pro focus problem

teknov

Mu-43 Regular
Hi, I just got my olympus 12-40 pro lens and I love the darn thing! So here is the problem. Right when I am about to shoot the fireworks, I went to focus and nothing. So I thought the focus ring was on manual but it wasn't the case. So, I decided to remount the lens and nothing Also, reseted the setting on the camera nothing again. I am guessing its a firmware issue since the camera is on firmware 2.0 and the lens is on 1.0. Or the lens is defective. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

teknov

Mu-43 Regular
I know that for the fireworks (should have specify that lol) I was wondering if anyone experienced anything like that.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Hi, I just got my olympus 12-40 pro lens and I love the darn thing! So here is the problem. Right when I am about to shoot the fireworks, I went to focus and nothing. So I thought the focus ring was on manual but it wasn't the case. So, I decided to remount the lens and nothing Also, reseted the setting on the camera nothing again. I am guessing its a firmware issue since the camera is on firmware 2.0 and the lens is on 1.0. Or the lens is defective. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
What were your focus settings? When you say nothing happened, did the lens not move, or did it just not achieve focus? Also, as long as the lens and camera have current firmware updates, that should not be an issue. Firmware updates are issued separately for lenses and bodies.

--Ken

teknov

Mu-43 Regular
What were your focus settings? When you say nothing happened, did the lens not move, or did it just not achieve focus? Also, as long as the lens and camera have current firmware updates, that should not be an issue. Firmware updates are issued separately for lenses and bodies.

--Ken
My focus settings are s-af. It's acting like it's manual mode so,when i try to focus, it would blink and do nothing like it's stuck in manual focus.This is BS $1000 lens shouldn't be having these problems.... My 14-42 lens has been through allot and still works.This pro lens on the other hand is a little baby.

Stefan_SS

Mu-43 Regular
This may be a stupid question, did you try ejecting the camera battery and re-insert it after a while? I had some wierd lockups on my EM-5 and that helped for me.

teknov

Mu-43 Regular
This may be a stupid question, did you try ejecting the camera battery and re-insert it after a while? I had some wierd lockups on my EM-5 and that helped for me.
I will try that Stefan and see if it works! Thanks for the tip!

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
My focus settings are s-af. It's acting like it's manual mode so,when i try to focus, it would blink and do nothing like it's stuck in manual focus.This is BS $1000 lens shouldn't be having these problems.... My 14-42 lens has been through allot and still works.This pro lens on the other hand is a little baby.
Are you able to try the lens on another body?

--Ken

teknov

Mu-43 Regular
Looking forward to your findings.

--Ken
So, I tested the lens on another body and it is in fact the lens. :-( I will have to send it out for servicing which is a drag because, I just got this lens and it ruined the plans I had lined up. I have primes but, it's not the same...

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
So, I tested the lens on another body and it is in fact the lens. :-( I will have to send it out for servicing which is a drag because, I just got this lens and it ruined the plans I had lined up. I have primes but, it's not the same...
Sorry to hear. Hope they can fix it quickly.

--Ken

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So it sopped focusing all together? I think the fireworks element might be the red herring confusing people.

teknov

Mu-43 Regular
Looking forward to your findings.

--Ken
Ok, so i found out it was in fact the lens that the auto focus went out. So, i had to send it out for repair. I sent the lens out on July 7 and got the lens back today (July 16) IMO, that was a pretty fast turn around lucky for me i live in Toronto and the repair facility was in Mississauga which would be like a 45min drive. They had sent a little packing slip and in the repair details this is what was said...Replaced main circuit board,outer frame,updated firmware,tested and cleaned. I was kinda mad this happened on a $1000 lens, but, their fast service to get it fixed made up for it. Thanks Olympus.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I was kinda mad this happened on a $1000 lens, but, their fast service to get it fixed made up for it. Thanks Olympus.
I know the feeling. But, consider that it was repaired quickly without much hassle, and, FWIW, be happy you did not have to deal with Panasonic for your repair. People complain about Olympus, but some of the stories I hear about Panasonic in some threads sound way more frustrating.

Good luck,

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom