1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus e-m5 and 12-40 pro focus problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by teknov, Jun 30, 2014.

1. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    Hi, I just got my olympus 12-40 pro lens and I love the darn thing! So here is the problem. Right when I am about to shoot the fireworks, I went to focus and nothing. So I thought the focus ring was on manual but it wasn't the case. So, I decided to remount the lens and nothing Also, reseted the setting on the camera nothing again. I am guessing its a firmware issue since the camera is on firmware 2.0 and the lens is on 1.0. Or the lens is defective. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... use manual focus .....

3. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    I know that for the fireworks (should have specify that lol) I was wondering if anyone experienced anything like that.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What were your focus settings? When you say nothing happened, did the lens not move, or did it just not achieve focus? Also, as long as the lens and camera have current firmware updates, that should not be an issue. Firmware updates are issued separately for lenses and bodies.

--Ken

5. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    My focus settings are s-af. It's acting like it's manual mode so,when i try to focus, it would blink and do nothing like it's stuck in manual focus.This is BS $1000 lens shouldn't be having these problems.... My 14-42 lens has been through allot and still works.This pro lens on the other hand is a little baby.

6. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    This may be a stupid question, did you try ejecting the camera battery and re-insert it after a while? I had some wierd lockups on my EM-5 and that helped for me.

7. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    I will try that Stefan and see if it works! Thanks for the tip!

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Are you able to try the lens on another body?

--Ken

9. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    I will tomorrow and that will determine if it's just the lens or the body.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Looking forward to your findings.

--Ken

11. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    So, I tested the lens on another body and it is in fact the lens. :-( I will have to send it out for servicing which is a drag because, I just got this lens and it ruined the plans I had lined up. I have primes but, it's not the same...

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sorry to hear. Hope they can fix it quickly.

--Ken

13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    So it sopped focusing all together? I think the fireworks element might be the red herring confusing people.

14. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    Ok, so i found out it was in fact the lens that the auto focus went out. So, i had to send it out for repair. I sent the lens out on July 7 and got the lens back today (July 16) IMO, that was a pretty fast turn around lucky for me i live in Toronto and the repair facility was in Mississauga which would be like a 45min drive. They had sent a little packing slip and in the repair details this is what was said...Replaced main circuit board,outer frame,updated firmware,tested and cleaned. I was kinda mad this happened on a $1000 lens, but, their fast service to get it fixed made up for it. Thanks Olympus.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I know the feeling. But, consider that it was repaired quickly without much hassle, and, FWIW, be happy you did not have to deal with Panasonic for your repair. People complain about Olympus, but some of the stories I hear about Panasonic in some threads sound way more frustrating.

Good luck,

--Ken