Olympus E-M1X will soon get a major firmware update…

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
This is what I’ve been waiting for, and long overdue. With how capable the em1 miii is software wise, at least a bump to bring the x up to par with it should’ve came out when the miii came out. So yes, starry as f$&k focusing and improved caf at a minimum. But the delay in release brings me hope it’s not just adding support for the 150-400, but finally adding some useful ai subjects.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
How about an animal eye focus (finally)?! That's pretty much the only thing missing from Oly cameras.

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think it will be for Birds in Flight and Animal Recognition for A.I. CAF

The E-M1X might serve well as a sport/wildlife/studio portrait camera.
- the motosport mode is already here
- a bird mode is very likely
- the FaceAF+EyeAF from the E-M1iii would make sense

It would be nice to have "a player" mode. But I do hope they will further tweak the AF-C performance. Oly also owes us an updated C-AF+TR mode, which has not been updated since the E-M1ii release.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
What I really want is this, if you move the joystick on the E-M1 mk III, you can then adjust the AF area and eye AF mode using the dials. On the E-M1X, if you move the joystick, you can't. I really, really, really want that behaviour replicated.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was checking the Olympus update site ( Olympus Firmware Update Website ) this AM and noticed a few of the Feb. 12, 2020 firmware dates have changed from bolded red to black. It used to show the newest ones in a bold red, but someone recently changed it.

Could be something is coming soon.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
I was checking the Olympus update site ( Olympus Firmware Update Website ) this AM and noticed a few of the Feb. 12, 2020 firmware dates have changed from bolded red to black. It used to show the newest ones in a bold red, but someone recently changed it.

Could be something is coming soon.

Not sure of the exact timeframe but they go black after a period of time. It's not an indication of an upcoming firmware update.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not sure of the exact timeframe but they go black after a period of time. It's not an indication of an upcoming firmware update.

Just checked it again today and some of the Feb. 12, 2020 are bolded red again and not black as yesterday. Someone is messing with the website for some reason. I thought they may make room for the E-M1 Mark III or something. Strange.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Just checked it again today and some of the Feb. 12, 2020 are bolded red again and not black as yesterday. Someone is messing with the website for some reason. I thought they may make room for the E-M1 Mark III or something. Strange.

They won't add the E-M1 mk III until there's a firmware update out for it.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This interview just posted by IR doesn't seem too promising in terms of getting updated AI tracking modes in the near future. It sounds like they're still in a planning stage rather than on the verge of a finished product.

Imaging Resource said:
DE: So let's talk about AI AF, or Intelligent Subject Detection AF. I talked with the engineers at the E-M1X's introduction, and they said it might be possible to, you know, swap in different libraries for different types of subjects. They said that there isn't room in memory to add more subject types now, but that it might be possible in the future to swap out an existing subject type for another one. Are you, in fact, developing additional subject libraries for the E-M1X, or possibly other cameras?

MS: We can't share with you any details now, but we are in fact are currently studying what kinds of other subjects should be developed. We've received some good feedback and also some requests from the market, so we're considering how to evolve this.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I know others are looking for more sophisticated options, but I would really like a My Menu option in my E-M5III, so I am hoping they will introduce that in any update to the higher-level cameras. Robin Wong even mentions this in his review of the E-M1III as something he wishes they had added. Canon DSLRs have it and it is SOOOO handy, and would be especially desirable on Oly because of their notoriously deep menus and now that the E-M5III cannot assign Mysets to the mode dial positions (except 1).

Edit: actually Robin Wong does NOT say that the E-M1III lacks My Menu in his review. He praises it. It is in his E-M5III review that he laments the lack of it.

Would adding a My Menu (where you place your own mini-subset of your favorite menu items) be too large a change to introduce in a firmware update? Seems like it wouldn't be, IMHO.

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Yes, they were messing with it. They had removed the spread sheet cell borders & now they are back, thankfully. It took more concentration to see across the lines to the relative details.

EDIT: It seems the cell format is showing sometimes & not other times, so it may just be my Google Chrome browser or something on their site that has changed that my browser doesn't always get right.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom