1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-M10 Printed Manual

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CWRailman, Jun 14, 2015.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    In another thread member Armoured noted the fact that Olympus had Printed Manual for the E-M10 available. I ordered one on Wednesday the 10th and it arrived in the mail on Saturday the 13th. That is quite fast considering it came from Centervalley, Pa to Scottsdale, Arizona USA. They paid $2.74 to ship this manual to me.

Here are a few photo’s of what you get for your $10. This 159 page manual is 5.5” x 8.5” which is half an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. The binding is marginal and when I opened the book it felt like it was going to start splitting so I do not fully open the book.
    Olympus E-M10 Manual 002a.

You will note on the inside printed page the page number is quite a way up from the bottom. The same goes for the printing at the top. The reduction factor they used when printing this manual does not make the best use of the sheet size. For those of us with mature eyes the reading is somewhat difficult but never the less it is still much better than dragging a computer around with us. Olympus E-M10 Manual 003a.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    I wonder how much Staples charges to print the PDF out like that. At least they offer different types of binding :confused:

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I printed my own from the PDF. It's full sized on 8-1/2x11 paper - easy to read, but not all that useful. The Kindle 'Supercharging the OM-D E-M10' is a much better value at under $7. It actually gives you guidance on setting up your camera.

4. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    While I am sure an electronic document might provide some benefit, it would mean that I would have to carry another electronic device on my motorcycle trips which I have to worry about keeping charged, getting broken or stolen not to mention the cost to purchase or the possibility of leaving the charger behind when I leave the hotel room. Those are some of the reasons I go for the smaller hard copy versions which I can reference. Less to deal with. This one will fit into the gun pouch of my leather or denim vest (yes that is now standard equipment for most motorcycle vests these days) until I get fully acquainted with configuring and using the E-M10. The electronic versions I leave at home on my computer.

5. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I ordered a printed version myself. I haven't gotten it yet. I am surprised to see that it isn't like the old "professional" looking manuals that you used to get with a camera. I figured they'd print some and then sell them. It looks like what you get is a printed PDF. Nothing awful, but not exactly what I was expecting. Oh well... I do still find a printed version useful sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I had both of my EM-5 and II PDF files printed out. With covers and a spiral binding the cost for the 5 was about $18 the 5II is a little bigger and it was $24. They are so much easier to read that way, they lay flat and will stand up on a shelf. The little ones that so many companies use are worthless.

7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I used to print out the PDF, but now just load them onto my iPhone for reference when I think I need it. It's not the easiest thing to read on there (wait for my iPhone 6s Plus!), but I can zoom in when I need to really pore over it. No need to carry an iPad or paper. It would be nice if they had a Quick Reference card version that one could print and laminate for the camera bag.

No more bound printed manuals nowadays for just about anything, even for computers. Since it saves trees, though, I'm OK with it. I do wish the manuals were more than just a description of the menus and buttons. On the other hand, that fuels a third-party market for more informative and in-depth books.

8. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Do E-M10s State side not ship with a hard-copy manual? Mine had one in the box, where it still is. I also use an electronic copy that is on my phone, tablet and laptop, but it's also in my google cloud account so I can access it from any web enabled device should I ever need to.

9. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    This book has much more information than the printed copy that comes with your camera.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Thanks, I haven't taken the hard copy out of the box so haven't compared it to the electronic version. I tend to keep all packaging intact in case I ever want to sell the device. Even the cables are still in their sealed bags.

11. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Actually, once you get the camera set up from the "Supercharging" manual, you will not really need to refer to it often. I've gone back to it a couple of times for stuff I've never used before, but generally it's "set the camera up properly, toss the manual" with the O-MD series.

12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Yes, the one that comes in the box is only about half the size of the PDF version. And, one can get the latest version of the PDF from the Olympus support website, for example, the EM1 manual currently includes the firmware updates up through 2.0, but not 3.0.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Armoured

Armoured Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Thanks for letting us know, Railman, how it worked out. It doesn't look like much more than Staples or Kinko's or whatever would do but as long as it meets your needs.

14. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Not exactly on topic but since we are talking about aids in learning how to set up and configure the camera, I found this video to be interesting in that he takes you through much of the camera functions. It is long at about 45 minutes but it seems rather complete.

While the menus are configured a bit differently than the Pentax menus I have been using for years, I did not find them difficult to understand or navigate. (I recently used a Fuji X-T1 and found those menus to be more complex and after two days I never did find several of the adjustments I would have liked to make.) I like the customizations available in the E-M10 however, just about the time I had my E-M10 configured to suit my style of shooting it crashed after 6 days of use. :( The replacement should be in today and it will be all better. YEA!!! I hope.:)

15. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Personally I download the PDF versions of the manuals and put them into iBooks on my Mac and iPad. The cost is zero and you can have the latest version as soon as it is posted.