1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-M10 mark II already in the works?!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by gravijaflare, Jul 2, 2015.

1. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm good with these small upgrades. It makes nicer cameras for the new buyer and a discounted cameras for others.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Wow - so soon. I wonder what will have changed.

4. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Canada
    I hope it's a new 20MP PDAF sensor with 1080p 60fps and 4K :thumbup:
    $599 body only and I will buy it on day 1

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    To costly for the PDAF. Olympus will most likely keep the EM5/EM10 cameras as CDAF only.

6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Interesting. E-M1 is going to be the low man on the features totem pole soon. Better get working on that announcement.

7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It seems way too soon to introduce an upgraded E-M10, less than 18 months after the original hit the market. I'm wondering if there's an E-M1 listing buried in their registrations. The E-M10 Mark II might be there to divert attention and keep folks from digging for more.

8. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    It's such an odd thing to replace the E-M10 so soon, especially when the E-M1 is due an upgrade, that it seems more likely that this is a typing error and someone has accidentally hit the '0' key and made the '1' into a '10'.

9. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Timing seems perfectly sensible to me. With many other manufacturers the "entry level" models cycle through faster than the "pro" models do. E-M10 was announced Jan 2014, so if the E-M10II announces this summer or early fall that would be around 18 months which is a very typical "entry level" model cycle.

• Like Like x 1
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think that the EM1 may be harder to improve without a new sensor. Video is the obvious upgrade to the OMD series but it seems like Olympus won't go 4K until they can make it work with their IBIS system. Given how well Panasonic does with video, 4K plus 5 axes IBIS may be the only way Olympus sees a video upgrade as actually selling more cameras. It's telling that EM1 has a major firmware upgrade recently. They may be limited to some extent by available hardware at this point.

11. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The main selling point for Olympus has not been video. If you are video centric you get a GH4. The E-M1II will have to have at least the hi res mode in E-M5II. A larger sensor, more AF points, faster AF, faster and better C-AF to do wildlife and sports would be greatly appreciated. And we could definitely use higher ISP with lower noise.

I guess we have to wait for Photokina Sept 2016 for E-M1 Mark 2.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's kind of what I think. I don't think the hi-res mode will be enough to sell the Mark II version and Olympus may not have a better/bigger sensor yet.

13. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    !!! I've been waiting for prices on e-m10 m1 to drop so a new model update would be a real catalyst!

14. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Current price (BHPhoto) USD 599 incuding a free grip plus a Cash back. I would say prices have already dropped.

15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    PDAF? Never gonna happen. New sensor? Highly unlikely since the E-M5II didn't get one either and it's placed above E-M10 in model hierarchy.

16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    It's certainly possible that PDAF could spread to all OM-Ds.

It's a weakness of the OM-D cameras at a time when Olympus have been listening to users requirements. It's important for video. And if you look at Sony with it's latest on-chip PDAF, the current E-M1 PDAF could spread to the EM-5 and EM-10, and the top of the line PDAF would come to the E-M1ii. The best autofocus is on a mirrorless camera. Not a DSLR.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  17. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Canada
    How are Sony, Samsung, Fuji etc. able to put PDAF and other unique features not available on OM-Ds like 4K, NFC etc on cameras like A6000 ($550 body), NX500 ($699 with kit), X-T10 ($799 body)? Even Panasonic has DFD on the brand new $799 with kit G7.

If Olympus doesn't respond fast, they will keep losing market share to Sony.

• Like Like x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Fuji is hardly a standard for either video or AF. I'm not convinced about 4K as a critical factor either. Panasonic has a superb entry here and they're not gaining market share. Sony is an inventive company and they are well known. They also make their own sensors, which Olympus doesn't. Given Olympus' financial issues, I worry they are not really in a position to compete with Sony.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Can't compare it to what's out today. You have to compete with the future, so the next e-m1 has to be competitive with everyone's next gen cameras and carry that competitiveness for a few years. It may not have to compete with canon 5ds and Nikon 810, etc...but as they and a7rii push the envelope everyone has to improve to remain competitive.

So the e-m1mkII has to be more than we can imagine today. Few of us will shell out $1500 for a 16mp, noisy in low light camera that doesn't have c-af that's competitive with a moderate dslr from the big brands. I would like to have 4k if it doesn't compromise still features. Size and price of the big brand middle weights are falling, so e-m1 and gh5 need to advance significantly in many areas.

Can't wait to see it and hope to be impressed enough to part with my money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Canada
    4K photo like on the G7 is actually a pretty amazing feature, plus more and more people are getting 4K TVs and Quad HD phones. Consumers don't care who makes the sensors or the company's financial issues, they will look at the spec sheet and see that for the same price a camera has 4K or PDAF vs no 4K or even 1080p 60fps and CDAF.

Olympus is becoming the Canon of the MILC market.

• Agree Agree x 1