Olympus E-M10 IV or Panasonic G85

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Sorry, no experience with those 2 lenses. The defish only works with the Olympus 8mm FE, as far as I know that is the only one compatible. Keep in mind the Laowa 7.5 is not a FE, it is a rectilinear lens so no defish required. The cheapest lens is not always the cheapest in the long run if there is something you want more.

Thanks. That tells me what I need to know. I think I'll just wait and get the right gear.
The auto defish only works on the Oly 8mm FE because it's not a manual lens. The others are fully manual, so no data set to the camera body to process. Does it work on the Panasonic 8mm FE? No idea, but probably not.

But I've owned both the Samyang 7.5mm FE and the 9mm BCL (still have the BCL). Lightroom (and I assume other applications have no problem defishing. I use the Sigma 8mm FE profile for the 7.5mm and the Sigma 10mm FE for the BCL.

Here's one from the BCL (and no I'm not changing my position, I'd still get the Oly 9-18. 18-26mm eq is a great very wide to wide/normal range for a LOT of things)
P1320118-2.jpg P1320118.jpg

Deneb

Mu-43 Rookie
Whoo hoo! I just discovered that you can rent lenses. Yeah, I should have guessed but I hadn't owned an interchangeable lens camera before. I'm going to rent the Olympus 9-18mm that so many of you have recommended, and I'll also rent a 100-300mm lens for distant shots. So I'll have a complete set for the trip, and I get to test out a couple more lenses before buying.

Thanks for all the help! My new camera arrived yesterday (wow, that was fast shipping) and I'm pretty excited.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Whoo hoo! I just discovered that you can rent lenses. Yeah, I should have guessed but I hadn't owned an interchangeable lens camera before. I'm going to rent the Olympus 9-18mm that so many of you have recommended, and I'll also rent a 100-300mm lens for distant shots. So I'll have a complete set for the trip, and I get to test out a couple more lenses before buying.

Thanks for all the help! My new camera arrived yesterday (wow, that was fast shipping) and I'm pretty excited.
Sounds like a good plan, especially trying out the 9-18. Just be aware that there is an older Olympus 9-18 that has a mount for the earlier Oly 4/3 DSLRs and requires an adapter. You'll know it when you see it - it is about 3 or 4 times larger than the m43 version. We have been talking about the m43 version in this thread.

I just want to mention that I have always had good like buying used lenses. I first try this forum and then Olympus refurbished, then KEH (http://www.keh.com/) and then MPB (https://www.mpb.com/en-us/). I always buy at least KEH condition E, and usually E+ ("Excellent Plus" - "rates 90 to 96 percent of original condition"). If I cannot find a lens at these places, last try would be Adorama or B&H used. I know that some people like the Fred Miranda buying/selling area and I bought there once and had good luck too.

You can save a lot of money (for example, I got my 9-18 for $405 at KEH).

As far as cameras, I have always bought new except fr my E-M10.2, which I bought on the Olympus refurbished website.

BruceRH

Mu-43 Regular
Sounds like a good plan, especially trying out the 9-18. Just be aware that there is an older Olympus 9-18 that has a mount for the earlier Oly 4/3 DSLRs and requires an adapter. You'll know it when you see it - it is about 3 or 4 times larger than the m43 version. We have been talking about the m43 version in this thread.

I just want to mention that I have always had good like buying used lenses. I first try this forum and then Olympus refurbished, then KEH (http://www.keh.com/) and then MPB (https://www.mpb.com/en-us/). I always buy at least KEH condition E, and usually E+ ("Excellent Plus" - "rates 90 to 96 percent of original condition"). If I cannot find a lens at these places, last try would be Adorama or B&H used. I know that some people like the Fred Miranda buying/selling area and I bought there once and had good luck too.

You can save a lot of money (for example, I got my 9-18 for $405 at KEH).

As far as cameras, I have always bought new except fr my E-M10.2, which I bought on the Olympus refurbished website.
The majority of my lenses are also used, refurbished, Open Box or grey market. I try to buy at a price that I can resell if I don’t like the lens. If I lose some money on selling a lens that was not what I expected, I just look at it as a long term rental. Both B&H and Adorama have great prices on used and OB and FredMiranda Buy & Sell has been a source for many great deals, you just have to be patient.

I think that renting has its place as well, especially if you have a trip coming up and specific lens is desired as in this case. Enjoy the new camera!

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As @BruceRH says, the Oly 8mm FE is the only compatible lens. As far as getting an ultrawide lens, I suggest getting the Oly m43 9-18. It is VERY popular with good reason. I am not suggesting that it is as sharp as the PL 8-18, but it is significantly less expensive, and VERY small, so it is perfect for travel. In other words, I think you'd be better off getting the 9-18 now instead of getting the 9mm body-cap lens and saving for the 8-18. If you get the 9-18 now, you can still save for the 8-18 later if you decide you want something even better (but larger and much more expensive). Otherwise, you cannot go wrong with the 9-18 because even when you have an 8-18 (which I do) the 9-18 still fits the small-size niche beautifully.
The Olympus 8-25mm f/4 is on the horizon, but it is likely to be priced at the pro lens scale.

greensteves

Mu-43 Rookie

Congratulations on your new camera! I like the EM5 line, but I have one caveat. For larger lenses (exact set varies from person to person but definitely for the 100-300mm lens), an added grip is needed for a comfortable carry. Olympus's grip is expensive and on the heavier side, but much less expensive and somewhat lighter 3rd party options are available on eBay, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/124687586088?hash=item1d07f59328:g:0eUAAOSw3UdgfSko .

BruceRH

Mu-43 Regular
Congratulations on your new camera! I like the EM5 line, but I have one caveat. For larger lenses (exact set varies from person to person but definitely for the 100-300mm lens), an added grip is needed for a comfortable carry. Olympus's grip is expensive and on the heavier side, but much less expensive and somewhat lighter 3rd party options are available on eBay, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/124687586088?hash=item1d07f59328:g:0eUAAOSw3UdgfSko .
I like the grip from Haoge, I had one for my EM5 MKii also so I got one for the 5.3. I find the 100-300 to be just fine without the grip though, I really only use the grip if I use a bigger lens such as the 40-150/2.8. Different for everyone though.

Here is the link for the Haoge grip if anyone is interested.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David

Renting for the short term isn't a bad idea, but how long is your trip? I use to "rent" a Nikon 80-400 (the older AF VR version for big vacations. I rented it by buying a used copy a few weeks before the vacation and then reselling it few weeks after. It normally cost me $150-$200 to rent the lens for a month figuring PP and S&H fees, not bad for a lens that typically sold between $850 and $1,000.

It's not for everyone and you have to be comfortable buying and selling stuff locally and/or through the net.

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom